Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Poor Moose was just diagnosed with this nasty condition. He will be 8 months tomorrow and 83lbs. He is in a lot of pains and is getting some meds. for the pain. I hope it doesn't last long. He is our first of 5 Rotts that have had this condition. He is on Acana large breed puppy.

·
Super Moderator
1,622 Posts
Poor Moose! I have also never had a dog with pano. It seems to run in certain pedigrees and if the sire or dam has had it...often common to see it in the litter. Did you ask Moose's breeder about it? At 8 months and 83 lbs he's a large puppy... How much are you feeding him? You may want to try to slow down his weight gain a bit now....keep him slim. Often the pain moves from limb to limb....or everything seems good...and it starts up again.

Acana Large Breed is good food....but maybe it's time to move him onto an Adult food??
I like this Acana...and it's lower in protein which may help. https://www.acana.com/en-CA/dogs/do...recipe/healthy-grains-large-breed-recipe.html

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We feed him 1 1/2 cups 3 times a day. I did read how others have switched to adult food. However the adult food doesn't have all that a puppy requires so they eat more and gain weight. It's heart breaking to hear Moose crying in pain. I hope it doesn't last long.

·
Super Moderator
1,622 Posts
I would cut back on the amount of food you are feeding. I raised 2 pups on Acana and never fed more than 4 cups total. Baxter ended up around 110 lbs and Jemma about 85 lbs. If you want to keep him on that same food...I would start feeding twice per day (he's old enough now) and feed 2 cups per meal. Many breeders that I know...start feeding their pups adult food by 6 months of age . Many adult foods are considered All-Life-Stages...meaning they can be fed to a puppy as well as an adult dog. The one thing that may help is a change in food...and to feed less so he is not gaining weight as quickly and growing as quickly. Pano is basically 'growing pains'.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So far today Moose is having a remarkable recovery. We are to keep him very quiet and plenty of rest. He wants yo chase our GSP so we have to keep him on his leash while outside. I hope no one on this forum has to go through this as it's heart wrenching listening to our best friends crying out in pain when they try to move.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry I should have updated. Moose was fine the next day, you wouldn't even know what he just went through. As per the Vet we are keeping him quiet with trazodone for a bit. Thanks for asking !!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts