Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Animals for Research

<a href="http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2003/01/26/LV123825.DTL" target="_blank">Inhumane society
Pets tossed like garbage into overwhelmed Sacramento animal shelter</a>

"The 11,470 cats and dogs euthanized last year at the shelter on Bradshaw Road were picked up by a rendering company, Koefran Industry Services, which cooks and converts the carcasses into hundreds of edible and inedible byproducts, such as hand soap, paint, shaving cream and lipstick."

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Outcry Over Pets in Pet Food

The practice of boiling down euthanized dogs and cats for industrial fat and protein causes an uproar in St. Louis

"ST. LOUIS -- It started with footage of Blacky and Scoop, melt-your-heart dogs with no one to claim them, alone at the city pound--and due to be put to death within hours. "No one wants them. Alive, that is," the reporter said.

The film then cut to a rendering plant that boils down the city's euthanized dogs, along with dead pigs and cows from local farms and leftover bones, hooves and innards from slaughterhouses. The end products are used to make cosmetics and fertilizer, gelatin and poultry feed, pharmaceuticals and pet food.

It was the pet food that got people. The report last month by KMOV-TV's Jamie Allman--headlined "What's Getting Into Your Pets"--suggested that dead dogs and cats from local shelters were ending up in kibble. As proof, Allman aired footage of a tanker truck entering the rendering plant, a truck emblazoned with the motto "Serving the Pet Food Industry."

The Dark Side of Recycling

Food not Fit for a Pet

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Doing more food research, Lord only knows why, this still disgusts me..

·
Registered
163 Posts
I know this article was released in 2004, but it is very interesting to read. What grabs my attention the most is that the article states, "U.S. beef products and byproducts--including the remains of dogs and cats, which are categorized as beef byproducts by the USDA's Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service." Ugh.

<a href="http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m5072/is _12_26/ai_115041999">FindArticles - Export ban leads to pileup of dead beasts at rendering facility</a><br>
Los Angeles Business Journal, March 22, 2004, by Kate Berry

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
This is why I didn't buy anything that said animal by-products or 'meat' meal. If the meat is named, i.e. chicken meal, duck meal, it is okay. But if just 'meat' meal it could be anything.

Some people attribute the increase of cancer in our pets to the tainted food that is used in making some kibble.

·
Registered
262 Posts
In some places the animals which have been treated in veterinary clinics and died are then taken and used in dog and cat food factorys , ( those animals are usualy full of drugs and chemicals from previous treatments ) , they claim that this is perfectly safe because these dead animals remains are cooked under presure and the temperature used ( 120 *Celsius ) kill any microorganismus .
The problem is that this technique dont clean the meat meal from drugs and chemicals , and this is the answear to why in last 15 years every single old dog i have seen have had cancer or even died of cancer , this type of food should not be used . Try to feed good quality food or raw food and see the difference for your self . Some of the pet industry practics are just totaly immoral and disqusting .

·
Registered
30 Posts
Reading everyone's post is so heart breaking.
I can't believe what goes on in the pet food industry,why can't anyone stop it.
The thought of cats & dogs going into pet food is grose.
It shouldn't happen.
I've read a little on dry dog food,it's hydrated cooked and heated until it looses it's nutrient value.
I know wheat products are bad for the Rottweilers they can have many allergies.
It certainly opens our eye's, just wish it could be stopped. :(

·
Super Moderator
1,933 Posts
There are some high quality foods, that use human grade meats. It's often you get what you pay for. Take a look at Open Farm, and Orijen, Acana, Carna4, Zeal, etc.
Crap like Pedigree, Purina, Iams, etc. uses poor quality ingredients made up mostly of grains and corn, and what little meat goes into the food is of poor quality. Meat that is rejected for human use...or dead and decaying downed cows, tumors cut out of the meat, beaks and feathers of chickens, and rancid fats purchased from fast food restaurants. :( Anything that is not fit for a human...can be and will be made into pet food.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts