Rottweilers Online Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new pup (11mth) has started showing signs of pregnancy. Back teets have grown in size and nipples area little large.
Im not sure if this is normal as ive never had a bitch before...
She keeos trying to hide behind the armchair in the living room which is why i now think its a phantom pregnancy... although i have full male i dont think they have ever had time nor chance to cover..
Any help or advise is greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
1,247 Posts
It's not that common in such a young dog to have a phantom pregnancy. When was her heat? I'm assuming she has only had one heat? Usually a false pregnancy starts about 60 days after the heat. More often it's adopting stuffed animals or even shoes, or slippers,etc. and using them as substitute puppies.

I would talk to your vet, because if she is already showing signs of false pregnancy at this young age...it's not good.

Seeing as you have an intact male....I would be thinking of spaying her sooner than later. Unless you are prepared to send your male away for 3 weeks everytime she goes into heat.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Vets it is when i can get up there...
She was in heat the last two weeks of November and first two weeks of December... shes been showing these signs for around 10 days or so... shes not "adopted" any shoes or teddys... she has a teddy she plays with but she's kinda ignoring it at the moment...

·
Super Moderator
1,247 Posts
False pregnancies can cause mammary glands to get bigger. Some females even drip milk during a false pregnancy. It's about the right time for her to show a false pregnancy after her heat. I would discuss it with the vet. From what I have heard and read from breeders, if they start having false pregnancies at such a young age...it's not good. The body thinks it's preparing for a birth...and it's hard on them. She should stop in a couple of weeks...and go back to normal. I would discuss spaying with your vet once she is out of her false pregnancy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts