Rottweilers Online Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading posts about these collars and everyone says they have to be fitted to work properly.. Can anyone explain what you have to do to them ??

·
Super Moderator
1,320 Posts
How old is your pup? The best thing to do is to teach your pup/dog to walk properly on the leash. A pinch/prong collar is good for a mature dog, that is forgetting all of it's manners while walking, or where you need more control. Just do a google search on "how to fit a prong collar"....

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't get my pup until the end of May. This would be for our Hyper active GSP. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
1,320 Posts
Most GSP are bouncy, active hyper dogs. How much time do you spend training and exercising your dog? These dogs were bred to be hunting all day. If you want to try a pinch/prong collar it will need to be with smaller links, and it has to ride way up high on the neck, just below the ears. The collar should be snug ..and not ride low on the neck...that you can achieve by taking out a prong or two. This collar should not be used for harsh corrections...if the collar is fitted right...the dog corrects itself.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He gets lots of exercise except for these weeks. He ate my grand daughters sock and he needed surgery ,so ever try to keep a GSP calm. It's not been a good 2 weeks. Training has been going well except for walking and recall.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts