Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone...my pup is now almost 8 months old and up until last week was doing very well. she has completed all her odedience training and follows rules very well. im having one problem. i try to take her anywhere i can with her, like shopping centers, parks, etc...She is scared of some noises still but normal puppy stuff. the problem im having is that when anyone looks at her and is fearful of her, she freaks out. she'll growl or have this really insecure bark. i correct her with her collar or with a touch and she stops for a few moments. if the person looks away and ignores her, she doesnt care at all. i jsut got back from the local pet store. and she was fine at first....while we were in line this little girl was dancing around....ruffian did not like it all and started barking and growling. so icorrected her, then we walked around the stroe some more and as soon as someone looked at her that was scared, she would go crazy. unfortunately, i cant really control others emotions, so they see a rottie and get scared and she picks up on it and thinks she needs to be scared as well. im scared one day she'll fear bite b/cof this. im not sure what to do...please help. any and all ideas are welcome.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Here is some good reading regarding canine development. An excerpt from:

[url]http://www.paws.org/cas/resources/fact_sheets_dogs/developme ntalpuppy.php[/url]

6–12 Months

Even with the best preparation during puppyhood, things will be “hairy” from time to time during this period. The puppy/young dog’s needs for stimulation, companionship and activity are very high, and his tolerance for boredom and inactivity are low. This is the period in which sexual maturity is reached in unaltered animals. Owners will experience “testing” behaviors reminiscent of human teenagers. Avoid situations in which the dog’s occasional lapses of obedience could have harmful results—lie off-leash work in an unsecured area. Continue to provide safe opportunities for vigorous play and exercise, and safe toys to occupy teeth and mind when he’s confined. This is not the time to expect “model” behavior.

My own thoughts would be to limit his exposure to those things that are freaking him out. Be aware of your own reaction to the situation. Tension travels down the leash so-to-speak... Continue to work him in secure areas around familiar people. As this passes, then gradually introduce into other situations.

Hope I'm not too far off the mark. It seemed to work well with my first Rott.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts