Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all my rottie’s name is Remy his is just over five years old. Over the last year he has been getting worst. I am attaching a picture. Maybe some of you have been through something similar. He has what the vet called a lick granuloma and pretty serious eye itching. He has had a allergy shot a few weeks ago. He started digging a week ago. Oh and my name is Kelly.

·
Super Moderator
1,480 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Remy does look uncomfortable...and that does look like some sort of allergies. First thing comes to mind is ...what are you feeding him?? Kibble that is high in corn,wheat soy...can produce allergies...as can certain proteins...such as chicken, beef, lamb,etc. Where is his lick granuloma? Those can be part of allergies and hard to heal.
I would ask your vet for a referral to a dermatologist vet. They will be able to figure things out much quicker then a regular vet, and may save you some money by getting to the problem quickly.

Does Remy like to rub his head against the furniture? and scratch at his eyes?? It could also be environmental?? Dust, grass, mold, pollen,etc. Hope you get to the bottom of it soon.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forums! Remy does look uncomfortable...and that does look like some sort of allergies. First thing comes to mind is ...what are you feeding him?? Kibble that is high in corn,wheat soy...can produce allergies...as can certain proteins...such as chicken, beef, lamb,etc. Where is his lick granuloma? Those can be part of allergies and hard to heal.
I would ask your vet for a referral to a dermatologist vet. They will be able to figure things out much quicker then a regular vet, and may save you some money by getting to the problem quickly.

Does Remy like to rub his head against the furniture? and scratch at his eyes?? It could also be environmental?? Dust, grass, mold, pollen,etc. Hope you get to the bottom of it soon.
His granulome is on his paw and it’s mostly healed. Yes he does rub his head against furniture. I will talk with his vet about getting a referral to a dermatologist vet. He is the best guy. Breaks my heart when I know he is uncomfortable and I don’t know how to fix it. Oh and he is eating purina dog chow for large breed dogs.

·
Super Moderator
1,480 Posts
First thing to do is get him off of the Purina Dog Chow!!! That could be half of his problems. It's full of corn, wheat, soy...all the things that are probably making him itchy. There are so many better quality foods that do not contain these ingredients. You need to find a food that is meat based...not corn/grain based like all of the Purina products. The only Purina product I would try is the Purina Pro Plan Adult Sensitive Skin & Stomach Salmon & Rice Formula, that does not contain corn, wheat or soy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First thing to do is get him off of the Purina Dog Chow!!! That could be half of his problems. It's full of corn, wheat, soy...all the things that are probably making him itchy. There are so many better quality foods that do not contain these ingredients. You need to find a food that is meat based...not corn/grain based like all of the Purina products. The only Purina product I would try is the Purina Pro Plan Adult Sensitive Skin & Stomach Salmon & Rice Formula, that does not contain corn, wheat or soy.
Thank you so much for all you help. I call a dermatologist vet in my area. Remy will have a appointment soon and I will be changing his food. I appreciate all your advice

1 - 5 of 5 Posts