Rottweilers Online Forums banner

Possible infection? Neuter and ablation (pic in comments)

3K views 12 replies 3 participants last post by  Agis 
#1 ·

Our our 20 month old Rottweiler just had his neuter on Friday. The vet also recommended an ablation to prevent other issues with eh empty sacs filling up.
Does this look infected. He's very angry (growling, no snapping) today towards me and I know he's in pain. The area has a little blood and a little yellowish discharge.
I already have an appointment scheduled today at 3:45 but I'm wondering what you all think.

We did our best to keep him calm after surgery but he is a very active dog and still jumped up a few times. I feel terrible for him.

See less See more
#2 ·
It looks like it may be full of fluid...common if they move around after a neuter. It's good that you are having the vet look at it today...but I would not be too worried. Is he on any pain relief medication? Ice packs would help...but wait to see what the vet says.

#4 ·
Went to the vet, it's infected. He was given three different injections, 1 for pain, 1 for infection and 1 for nausea to get him to eat. Then medications for each for the next few days. The incision site looks 3x worse now. Just hoping it looks better tomorrow.

#5 ·
Poor pup! Not a common thing after a neuter surgery. Has he been wearing a cone? or a donut? Often if they can start licking is when problems start. Hopefully he is on the mend now and will start feeling better soon. I still wonder why they needed to do the ablation? I had probably 20 male fosters neutered by my vet, and they never did an ablation...and never had one problem.

#7 ·
Yes he's been in a cone the whole time and I kept the area dry. They said the ablation was recommended because of the size of the empty sacs...they could get filled with blood and be painful and cause an infection...which happened anyway. My husband said they were trying to upcharge me which i guess they did. I was just trying to do what was recommended to keep him safe and healthy and now regret authorizing the ablation. He's in a lot of pain and last night was pretty bad. I'm hoping today is better.

#8 ·
Poor dog! So hard when they feel miserable. On younger dogs I have never heard of an ablation even being offed. Your dog at 20 months of age is young. I have heard of it being offered on older dogs 6-7 + years of age that are being neutered, and on giant breeds like Great Danes.
What's done is done now...and just do what you can to make him feel better.

#9 ·
Ya,
I wish I had researched it. They sprung the ablation on me at the drop off time and talked me into it. I agree i still consider him a puppy. I'm just hoping he gets better. I think he's looking vetter todsy. But it was way worse after I took him to the vet yesterday.

#11 ·
Thank you for asking. I think he's feeling better, the swelling has gone down and is more contained to the incision instead of throughout the entire area. Hes still dripping a little blood when he's moving but nothing overnight thankfully. His incision looks pretty terrible. I'm assuming from all of the swelling and incision. I read that visually it might take about a week to see the effect of the medication but should help within 48-72 hours.
I'm hoping we are on the upside of all of this. He's not worse so that's good. Just feel pretty terrible about all of it.

#12 ·
It will probably heal slowly. As long as he's not too uncomfortable things should be good. How are you managing keeping him quiet? That's always so hard with a young dog that starts feeling better, and their energy level starts to go up. My Jemma had ACL surgery at 18 months of age after being accidentally rammed into by a bigger dog....in the middle of winter! I do remember it was a chore trying to keep her quiet and contained.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.