Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Zara had her last dose of panacur this morning with her breakfast. I see no difference in her stools. Good first thing in the morning, diarrhea for the rest of the day. I know giardia can be difficult to get rid of so I almost expect to have to go another round. But you can't retest right away because it might be a false positive. At least that's what they said at the vet's. She goes back on the 5th for the next round of puppy shots and I will ask when we can retest. I am washing all her bedding and things today and she will get a bath.

I am thinking of feeding her a bland diet of hamburger and rice the next few days just to see if that resets her tummy. Would you do it for 2 or 3 days?

·
Registered
414 Posts
I was going to suggest a bath too. Agis came to us with worms and giardia and we bathed him at the end of treatments (though, was that for the worms? Don't remember). We also had puppy wipes we used after he came in from pooping.
A bland diet is a good idea, but I think even extra lean hamburger may be fattier than necessary. What about rice/chicken/some cooked sweet potato (not a lot; you can get cans from pet stores, or, canned pumpkin (NOT pumpkin pie filling) from grocery stores. Even a spoonful is good.

I'd try for three days, just to be extra safe.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was going to suggest a bath too. Agis came to us with worms and giardia and we bathed him at the end of treatments (though, was that for the worms? Don't remember). We also had puppy wipes we used after he came in from pooping.
A bland diet is a good idea, but I think even extra lean hamburger may be fattier than necessary. What about rice/chicken/some cooked sweet potato (not a lot; you can get cans from pet stores, or, canned pumpkin (NOT pumpkin pie filling) from grocery stores. Even a spoonful is good.

I'd try for three days, just to be extra safe.
I think the bath is for the giardia. Dewormer is pretty good at getting rid of worms. Giardia cysts can stick to the coat and reinfections are frequent. I have heard about the wiping of the bottom and feet. If we have to go through this again I am going all out and doing every single thing I've seen suggested. The vet tech didn't mention any of those things. I googled stuff to refresh my memory. They were surprised when she came back positive because I figured it out on my own. I learned a few things when I worked there.

Funny thing is that I would normally do chicken and rice. But I had heard several things about rotties and chicken allergies. I haven't fed her anything with chicken yet so I thought maybe the hamburger would be better. Not trying to complicate things. Her current formula is lamb and I'm not sure where to classify that (we don't eat it) but I see Acana puts it in their red meat formula, so I thought maybe hamburger was a better choice.

I have thought about sweet potato but don't have any on hand. And pumpkin. I have never given my dogs pumpkin, and I always hear "not the pumpkin pie filling" but that's all that comes up when I search at the grocery store websites. I know pet stores sell cans for this purpose. She has had egg and cottage cheese (just a bit once a day) but that's the only human food we've allowed so far.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Oh yeah, finding the pumpkin can be a bit tricky. I ended up just making mashed sweet potato once (which is probably easier to find) and that worked fine.

I did not know that about rotties and chicken! Interesting. I am just thinking too much fat for an upset tummy could be bad. But if its more similar to what she eats...dunno.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh yeah, finding the pumpkin can be a bit tricky. I ended up just making mashed sweet potato once (which is probably easier to find) and that worked fine.

I did not know that about rotties and chicken! Interesting. I am just thinking too much fat for an upset tummy could be bad. But if its more similar to what she eats...dunno.
I might get some sweet potatoes with my next grocery run, cook them up and portion and freeze them. Just to have on hand. I am also going to make the hamburger in my Instant Pot, which sits up on a trivet, and the grease drops off as it cooks. I also buy the 96/4 super lean, so I think the fat will be very minimal. If the first feeding doesn't go well I'll make up some chicken and switch to that but since she's eating lamb and that's considered red meat, I think that's the best first thing to try.

·
Super Moderator
1,480 Posts
I'm sorry that I cannot help much about the giardia treatment. But I have to say I have never found Rotties not to do well with chicken. I fostered over 50 Rottweilers and I'm sure most ate chicken in their diet, or with whatever the rescue gave me for their kibble. My own 7 plus Rottweilers have eaten chicken based kibble and raw chicken feet, chicken necks and chicken backs....all with no problems. I know a few Rottweiler breeders and they feed raw to their dogs....most often chicken is a main staple of the diet...and the young pups are started on chicken necks as their first solid meals after weaning.
Don't worry about feeding your pup chicken meat. Most Rottweilers are easy keepers and have few tummy problems...and can take pretty much what is thrown at them to eat without any problems. :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Boy I sure can't see raw chicken necks. Don't the bones break while they are chewing. I'm the man in the house and do a lot of shopping for groceries. Pure pumpkin is in the baking aisle, it will say pure on the can. Shoppers tip of the day lol.

·
Super Moderator
1,480 Posts
Boy I sure can't see raw chicken necks. Don't the bones break while they are chewing. I'm the man in the house and do a lot of shopping for groceries. Pure pumpkin is in the baking aisle, it will say pure on the can. Shoppers tip of the day lol.
That's the whole point with raw chicken necks...they crunch the bones no problems. The 18 lb Border Terrier that I have crunches them up no problem...LOL

You are right about finding pumpkin in the baking isle...usually where the canned pie fillings are beside the cherry, blueberry fillings. It will say "pure pumpkin".

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's the whole point with raw chicken necks...they crunch the bones no problems. The 18 lb Border Terrier that I have crunches them up no problem...LOL

You are right about finding pumpkin in the baking isle...usually where the canned pie fillings are beside the cherry, blueberry fillings. It will say "pure pumpkin".
PURE pumpkin is they key word. I worked in grocery stores for years, I know it's there. But I could never find it in store and when I order online the word "real" wasn't getting the right result. I did find it under the word pure. Thanks so much!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Zara had her last dose of panacur this morning with her breakfast. I see no difference in her stools. Good first thing in the morning, diarrhea for the rest of the day. I know giardia can be difficult to get rid of so I almost expect to have to go another round. But you can't retest right away because it might be a false positive. At least that's what they said at the vet's. She goes back on the 5th for the next round of puppy shots and I will ask when we can retest. I am washing all her bedding and things today and she will get a bath.

I am thinking of feeding her a bland diet of hamburger and rice the next few days just to see if that resets her tummy. Would you do it for 2 or 3 days?
Why wouldn’t you just change her diet to whole food. It what everyone does when there is gastrointestinal distress. Think about it. Try some whole milk yogurt. How old is she? What does she weigh? Panacure is best for worms try ivermectin for microbe infection.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Why wouldn’t you just change her diet to whole food. It what everyone does when there is gastrointestinal distress. Think about it. Try some whole milk yogurt. How old is she? What does she weigh? Panacure is best for worms try ivermectin for microbe infection.
Thanks for your reply. Panacur is what the vet has always given for giardia, in my experience, as both a dog owner and vet clinic employee. Rice and chicken or hamburger has been the bland diet for tummies. She is 16 weeks old and 18 pounds.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm sorry that I cannot help much about the giardia treatment. But I have to say I have never found Rotties not to do well with chicken. I fostered over 50 Rottweilers and I'm sure most ate chicken in their diet, or with whatever the rescue gave me for their kibble. My own 7 plus Rottweilers have eaten chicken based kibble and raw chicken feet, chicken necks and chicken backs....all with no problems. I know a few Rottweiler breeders and they feed raw to their dogs....most often chicken is a main staple of the diet...and the young pups are started on chicken necks as their first solid meals after weaning.
Don't worry about feeding your pup chicken meat. Most Rottweilers are easy keepers and have few tummy problems...and can take pretty much what is thrown at them to eat without any problems. :)
Shelley had a chicken allergy, got terrible hotspots and was occasionally sick until we found out. The vet reccomended lamb and rice, so it does happen.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Shelley had a chicken allergy, got terrible hotspots and was occasionally sick until we found out. The vet reccomended lamb and rice, so it does happen.
Thanks for adding your insight. Not just rottweilers, but I've known lots of dogs who don't do well with chicken.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
In Canada, we use Panacur for giardia too. Ivermectin is used for worms and mites, that sort of thing.
I kept reading about different things vets have been prescribing for giardia, and lots of people saying it wasn't until they used panacur that it worked. I started working at my vet's clinic in 2005 and it's what I always remember being prescribed for it. Ivermectin is the active ingredient in Heartgard, which was of course the go to medicine for heartworm prevention in dogs for years, but of course now there are lots of different options. We started Zara on Simparica Trio after her first vet visit.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Yes, we still use Heartgaard. I've considered Simparica Trio, may do it next year. Right now we use Bravecto.

Agis came to us wormy and with giardia, so it's somewhat fresh in my mind :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just an update: Zara had an appointment today for her next round of shots. I mentioned she is still having diarrhea, so they gave me a week's worth of probiotics. We can't retest for giardia until it's been a month past the last dose of panacur. So fingers crossed this will sort out her stomach. She did fine on the rice and hamburger, then I started giving her a tablespoon of pure pumpking before meals, which firmed up her stools, but the couple times I didn't give to her, the diarrhea returned.

On 6/7 she weighed 13.1 pounds on their scale, and today, exactly 4 weeks later, she was 21.3. So that's 8.2 pounds a month.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Well, she may still have an upset tummy, but she's gaining weight, so that is great :)

I hope the probiotics help settle her stomach.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, she may still have an upset tummy, but she's gaining weight, so that is great :)

I hope the probiotics help settle her stomach.
Thanks! Here's to hoping that's all that is going on. I am still reading about "small rottweiler puppies" and came across a post from a lady who has a male who was only 20 pounds at 3 months. Now he's about 3 years and 120 pounds! I'm a worry wort, I get that from my mom.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Oh I'm the same. My husband is like 'There's no problem!' and I'm like 'YOU DON'T REALIZE THAT...'. Heh. I think even when they're a bit wormy to start they can still catch up.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts