Rottweilers Online Forums banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
That's my hope! My husband is like "oh she will easily reach 100 lbs." I will be happy if she reaches the minimum I see of 80. Although the most important part to me is that she's healthy. She's already doing great on car rides, something my other dogs, big and small, always freaked out about. Looking forward to when she's fully vaccinated and I can start taking her out other places too.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Just an update: Zara had an appointment today for her next round of shots. I mentioned she is still having diarrhea, so they gave me a week's worth of probiotics. We can't retest for giardia until it's been a month past the last dose of panacur. So fingers crossed this will sort out her stomach. She did fine on the rice and hamburger, then I started giving her a tablespoon of pure pumpking before meals, which firmed up her stools, but the couple times I didn't give to her, the diarrhea returned.

On 6/7 she weighed 13.1 pounds on their scale, and today, exactly 4 weeks later, she was 21.3. So that's 8.2 pounds a month.
how many days with the diarrhea?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
how many days with the diarrhea?
We brought her home May 26th and it had been a daily occurrence, although not every time. She had the round of panacur and it continued, so I started giving her the pumpkin, and that took care of it, but I know not the root cause. Now she is on the second day of the probiotics, and she has had a couple soft stools later in the day but what I would call actual diarrhea is now gone. So hopefully this resets her tummy and the re-test for giardia will be negative.

·
Registered
53 Posts
We brought her home May 26th and it had been a daily occurrence, although not every time. She had the round of panacur and it continued, so I started giving her the pumpkin, and that took care of it, but I know not the root cause. Now she is on the second day of the probiotics, and she has had a couple soft stools later in the day but what I would call actual diarrhea is now gone. So hopefully this resets her tummy and the re-test for giardia will be negative.
That’s a long time to have digestive upset. Not uncommon in puppies but not ordinary. Your feeding kibble of course. You might want to rethink your approach. Wish you the best.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
That’s a long time to have digestive upset. Not uncommon in puppies but not ordinary. Your feeding kibble of course. You might want to rethink your approach. Wish you the best.
If you have ideas, I would love to hear them. What would you do? She has been to the vet 3 times. Treated for giardia, now she's on probiotics. It's too early to retest for the giardia. She got 3 days of bland food but once she went back to kibble the diarrhea came back. She gets 3 cups (1 cup 3 times a day) of Diamond Naturals Large Breed Puppy. That's a lamb and rice formula.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Have you tested for EPI/SIBO? Maybe that's more common in other breeds, or too soon to do yet, just a thought though. Given she had giardia the likelihood lies there of course.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Have you tested for EPI/SIBO? Maybe that's more common in other breeds, or too soon to do yet, just a thought though. Given she had giardia the likelihood lies there of course.
No, that hasn't been brought up yet. Thank you, I will keep it in mind. She's on the 4th of 7 days on the FortiFlora. With the exception of one case of diarrhea late in the afternoon on the second day, it's doing it's job. Will continue to be on the lookout for other symptoms in case we have to look beyond the giardia.

·
Super Moderator
1,480 Posts
Just so you know you can purchase FortiFlora on Amazon. Probably cheaper than what the vet sells it for? I always kept some on hand for dogs that were boarding with me that started getting diarrhea. Some started from stress, or a change of water, or just too much fun? Who knows? The FortiFlora always seemed to make things right.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Just so you know you can purchase FortiFlora on Amazon. Probably cheaper than what the vet sells it for? I always kept some on hand for dogs that were boarding with me that started getting diarrhea. Some started from stress, or a change of water, or just too much fun? Who knows? The FortiFlora always seemed to make things right.
Thanks! I did look it up. Chewy sells it too. I buy a lot of stuff from Amazon but read a few reviews of possible fakes of FortiFlora being sold on Amazon. Don't know if it's true, but for the same price I would probably get it from Chewy's. Have you ever used the chewable tablets? I would think that would be easier than the powdered stuff if used regularly.

·
Registered
53 Posts
If you have ideas, I would love to hear them. What would you do? She has been to the vet 3 times. Treated for giardia, now she's on probiotics. It's too early to retest for the giardia. She got 3 days of bland food but once she went back to kibble the diarrhea came back. She gets 3 cups (1 cup 3 times a day) of Diamond Naturals Large Breed Puppy. That's a lamb and rice formula.
Diamond is sh#@ food. Can’t be more direct than that. Bland food is the best food that’s why your dog has better stools when eating it. Kibble in general is hard to digest. Have you considered a whole food diet? If you have questions ask.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Diamond is shit good. Can’t be more direct than that. Bland food is the best food that’s why your dog has better stools when eating it. Kibble in general is hard to digest. Have you considered a whole food diet? If you have questions ask.
When the Diamond gets low we're switching to Acana. We have 7 critters in the house, doing raw is something I'm familiar with but we're sticking with high quality kibble. She has one more day of the Fortiflora, and has so far had 2 instances of diarrhea. I have a strong suspicion the giardia hasn't been cleared up, but I have to wait until she can be retested for that.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts