Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 12 week old female Rotti and her potty training seems to be worsening! She’s outside all the time and goes sometimes outside but is going inside more.. and is constantly eating her poop! I can’t stop her quick enough. She’s in her crate at night and has been fine the past few weeks expect the past few days. She won’t sleep and is up all night whining and pooping in her crate 4 times a night regardless of going outside. She used to sleep through the night. Any tips or thoughts? Thank you

·
Super Moderator
1,811 Posts
Welcome to the forums. What are you feeding your pup? Sometimes foods full of corn, soy and grain fillers cause them to poop a huge amount, and because they are not getting the nutrition they need to be eating their own poop. I would also have a fecal sample take in to the vet and have it checked for worms. Worms can cause a pup to have frequent bowel movements and not be able to hold it.

I'm not sure I understand? Is your pup spending the day outside? Is she out alone some of the time?? She is far too young to be left in the yard outside without supervision. A puppy that age should be inside with you, either supervised or in the crate all of the time....with frequent potty/poop trips outside. Probably every 30 minutes outside if she is not sleeping. Use a command to tell her to go. Keep her on a leash till she goes....then praise and a reward.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She’s on purina pro plan puppy chicken. Stool was taken to the vet is was fine and vet said food was good to stay on. She’s in her crate when I’m at work and when it’s sleeping time at bed, otherwise she’s out fully supervised and going outside every 20- 30ish mins

·
Super Moderator
1,811 Posts
She may just need to be taken outside once during the night? At 12 weeks of age...she should be ok...but sometimes their schedule gets mixed up and they need to go during the night. How much are you feeding her? Overfeeding can cause multiple poops. When is her last meal of the day? You may have to change her feeding schedule. When is she last taken outside for her last poop/pee for the evening? I would try to make sure she is empty and has been exercised and tired out before being put into her crate for the last time in the evening.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I try to burn her enegry and she had 3 cups total 1 1/2 cups in the morning and 1 1/2 cups around 5:30 pm and goes out every 30 mins before bed. She’s outside for a good period of time 10 mins at least to make sure she goes or tries anyway…

·
Super Moderator
1,811 Posts
I would try to feed her 3 times per day...she is still too young to be eating twice per day. I would probably cut back just a little on the last meal. Try giving her 1 cup a.m. and 1 cup lunch and 3/4 cup in the p.m. with a small dog cookie at bedtime. How much does she weigh? She may also be getting fed too much?? I don't think I was feeding 3 cups of food till my Rottweiler pups were 4-5 months of age?

What are you doing with her to burn energy?? Probably before bed is the most important time to wear her out. How big is her crate??

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’m not sure how much she weighs right now. She was 12.8 a few weeks at the vets. She poops at least 10 times a day… she doesn’t even eat that much to poop… I’ll have to call her vet. We play with her with her toys and take her outside to run around. She’s still too little for walks and has no interest with walks I tried taking her down our small road but she wanted nothing to do with it. Her crate is a size small. She fits in it but is getting close for the next size up

·
Super Moderator
1,811 Posts
It sounds like you are WAY overfeeding her!! If at a guess she is only about 15 lbs now....she should be eating no more than 2 cups food total per day. I do wonder if she may have some parasites (giardia or coccidia)?? or worms? She sounds on the small side for a 12 week old female Rottweiler puppy. That's the weight of an 8 week old pup. She is not too little for walks. She should be going out to safe places now (where there is no strange dogs feces)....she should be getting socialized, and used to the sights and sounds of the world. Put a light leash on her, and a favorite squeaky toy, and some small treats and lure her forward to walk and encourage her to sniff around. Once you get her pooping problems under control get signed up for a puppy kindergarten class. Look for one now!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you!!! She did have giardia twice and was treated for it and has fine sense. She goes back to vet soon so I’ll have them double check. Thank you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts