Rottweilers Online Forums banner

181 - 200 of 223 Posts

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #181 ·
My information sources say that bleached (white) tripe can be fed to dogs, but the nutritional benefit is not as great as the fresh, very, very stinky, green tripe. In the USA, green tripe cannot be sold in a grocery store (because it is not fit for human consumption), but it can be bought from certain meat suppliers. Green tripe is sold as the entire stomach (without the stomach contents); ground up; or ground up with other muscle meat and/or organ meat. It is also sold canned. As everything canned, it is therefore cooked, and again not as nutritious as raw. It's nutritional benefits are very similar to that of muscle meat, however some think that there are enzymes in the raw version that a dog will not get any other way. Many raw fed dogs do not get tripe, and do very well without it.

Reactions: kaza

·
Registered
677 Posts
i had to post this on this thread, i have been recently invited to a friends farm and hes a breeder in the country, and i have visited there before, and that was around 6 months ago, at that time, all the dogs looked healthy, and gorgeous, now, i went, and they all look un healthy, their coats are dull, and i was in shock, raw feeding really is the way to go, his dogs are all fed on royal canin, i spoke to him regarding raw food, and he thought i was mental, but my dogs speak for themselves, i am still in shock, dogs that i thought looked glowing with health now to me at least, looked un healthy,

·
Registered
140 Posts
Tiffany loves her raw chicken. I mostly give her the leg quarters, backs and wings. She gets the little giblet/neck packet with liver, as well. From what I've read about raw feeding the proportions are 80% meat, 10% bone, and 10 % organ. If stool is runny, feed more bone. If stools are too firm, give more meat or organ. Stay away form weight bearing bones of large ruminants. Raw chicken bones are nice and soft so I've just stayed with them. I asked the butcher for some green tripe because it's supposed to have very healthy enzymes. The bleached tripe doesn't have the same nutrional value.

Tiffany took to it right away. Even with her baby teeth, she finishes off a whole leg quarter in 2 minutes flat! I had to overcome my aversion to meat in general. I prefer fish. There are also times when she gets some Kirkland puppy kibble like when we are out for the day and raw feeding is not practicable.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Feeding raw was one of the best decisions that I/we have made for our dog's....ever. CoCo's coat is like velvet...and she get's comment's on it all the time. I don't hesitate to inform that she is raw fed...then I get "the look"...you know it...between confusion and flabbergasted. I know it's right...and her health speaks for itself...she has gleaming white teeth...no bad breath...and when we switched our Corgi, Bart over...his bad breath...tartar on his teeth...and shedding...was gone after 2 weeks.
Regarding tripe, our Co-Op has been getting tripe from a company called Tefco...and it's great. The Mrs's hates the smell...but the dog's love it. Tefco also has a product called Performance Dog...that has a variety of meat...bone....organ...ect mixed in it. When I was feeding the dog's strictly chicken, beef heart, liver, ect...they actually detoxed again when I started feeding a steady source of meat from Tefco. I don't feed the Tefco as a primary source of their food...but use it as a supplement most of the time. I do thaw out a roll once and a while and feed it as a meal..since it's balanced with everything in it. The biggest down side is the price...which comes in right at about $1.50/lb.
With or without the Tefco...a raw diet has produced wonderful results in our dog's...and should continue to provide them with a healthy...long...and hopefully un-eventfull life.

·
Registered
677 Posts
This is a good video that explains some of the basics of raw feeding. I liked the music, too!:eek:

How to feed a raw diet - YouTube
Thx susan, will check it out, my dogs have been on raw for only two months, and are doing great, my white one hachi was a very picky eater, and right now he is eating everything i feed him, raw food is great

·
Registered
677 Posts
Feeding raw was one of the best decisions that I/we have made for our dog's....ever. CoCo's coat is like velvet...and she get's comment's on it all the time. I don't hesitate to inform that she is raw fed...then I get "the look"...you know it...between confusion and flabbergasted. I know it's right...and her health speaks for itself...she has gleaming white teeth...no bad breath...and when we switched our Corgi, Bart over...his bad breath...tartar on his teeth...and shedding...was gone after 2 weeks.
Regarding tripe, our Co-Op has been getting tripe from a company called Tefco...and it's great. The Mrs's hates the smell...but the dog's love it. Tefco also has a product called Performance Dog...that has a variety of meat...bone....organ...ect mixed in it. When I was feeding the dog's strictly chicken, beef heart, liver, ect...they actually detoxed again when I started feeding a steady source of meat from Tefco. I don't feed the Tefco as a primary source of their food...but use it as a supplement most of the time. I do thaw out a roll once and a while and feed it as a meal..since it's balanced with everything in it. The biggest down side is the price...which comes in right at about $1.50/lb.
With or without the Tefco...a raw diet has produced wonderful results in our dog's...and should continue to provide them with a healthy...long...and hopefully un-eventfull life.
The coats was one fo the first signs i have seen change, beautiful and soft, compared to the ones fed on kibble, they look great! and yes, it does feel like velvet, i am going tripe hunting today! hope i find some un bleached, problem is all the ministry dont allow tripe to be sold un bleached, im going to have to look hard

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Not all kibble fed dogs have dull, unhealthy coats...just those fed crappy foods <lol>.

My crew have shiny healthy coats, bright clear eyes and are very healthy. I feed a grain free kibble, supplemented with an omega 3 fish oil. I will admit that when Jayda was few raw for a few months due to kidney stones, she was shedding less, but other than that her coat condition never changed.

If I could afford to feed raw, I would, but nobody gets rich working for a vet - you just get smarter!

·
Registered
577 Posts
I came out of our organic farm shop atthe weekend with an 'over full' four wheeled shopping trolley full of stuff, chicken carcass, necks wings and Lambcarcass, for the dogs for just £18 - yes Eighteen pound. That will probably lasy a month or more I will just buy a few more bits such as heart tongue and some tripe

·
Registered
688 Posts
Not all kibble fed dogs have dull, unhealthy coats...just those fed crappy foods <lol>.
My crew have shiny healthy coats, bright clear eyes and are very healthy. I feed a grain free kibble, supplemented with an omega 3 fish oil. I will admit that when Jayda was few raw for a few months due to kidney stones, she was shedding less, but other than that her coat condition never changed.
If I could afford to feed raw, I would, but nobody gets rich working for a vet - you just get smarter!
Can't argue that "math"...my prior Rottie lived 12 great years on kibble...and had a beautiful coat/health....mind you I was not feeding him kibble's and bit's either. I have been fortunate with the local wholefood companies here...and our Co-Op to get my price per pound for dog food down to $.80 - $1.00/lb average. Kibble was costing me right at $1.50/lb...so I used that as my "marker". That was Blue Buffalo...and it's not cheap that's for sure.

On a side note...and regarding the cheap dog foods out there...I was introduced to a link that really took me back regarding certain kibbles....I would never have thought that this would be legal to do.

The video starts as a news feed about the numerous pet food recalls and information about dog food standards...but the latter part is something some may not want to watch. I had no idea that "rendering" can or would be done with the millions of euthanized animals from shelters...ect. The link takes you to the website... dogs-4life.com
Does Your Dog Food Include Euthanized Dog?

·
Registered
11 Posts
i have a lovely little rottie ruby whos 18 weeks old and is fed a dry food recomeneded by pet place and vets but just seen this ,just to get it clear can you feed your rottie on uncooked chicken legs and its ok i would be worried bout the bones ect and is this only for adult dogs and any advice and what else to feed her realy appreicated thanks

·
Premium Member
2,000 Posts
A raw chicken bone is soft & pliable. Pup just needs to crush it. I know of a top rottie breeder that her pups are weaned from the mother with raw food. But its softer raw meats at first like hamburger & sausage.

Ross

·
Registered
11 Posts
i will def try this with her should i start her on soft meats first and i assume just raw chicken legs that i would get from a supermarket .i am veggie so not much idea on meats .is cooking veg and soya yohurts ect okay for her would rather do this then just feed her dry food thanks

·
Premium Member
2,000 Posts
yogurt is ok but not soy. Hot dogs are actually semi cooked as they come from the store. But some hot dogs may have too much organ meat so feed sparingly. Mixing raw with kibble ususally isn't a good idea. One meal kibble & next raw if you want to mix it up.

Ross

·
Registered
11 Posts
oh ok thanks for that so feed her dry at one meal then raw at next she is nearly 18 weeks so how much raw would you suggest at any one meal and thanks for this its really helpfull

·
Premium Member
2,000 Posts
Kibble is fed by volume. Raw is fed by weight. A pup should get in raw 3% of its body weight per day. At 18 weeks old I'd recommend feeding 3 times a day.
Quality of the kibble is going to make a big difference.

Ross

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Kazzieruby - you need to really make sure you are getting the ratio of bone/muscle/organ meat correct or you can do major damage to your growing puppy. Raw feeding isn't something to be 'dabbled' in - you either research and research more before doing it, or you don't do it at all.

Check out these websites for Raw Feeding info:

BARF_diet

Raw Diet | Redyre Rottweilers – Quality show dogs & companions since 1988

Also, check out B-Naturals (Lew Olson). She's a fabulous resource for raw feeding and supplements

Also check out natures Farmacy

An improperly fed raw diet can do far more damage than kibble.

·
Registered
577 Posts
KazzieRuby here is a link album I put together to give people a visual idea as to what sort of things you can feed, the puppy in the picture starts off at around 8 weeks old.

I dont feed any ground meat at all (mincing causes oxidation) nor do I feed any veggies.

Puppies will eat more than adults so it is more expensive to start off with but then it levels out and eventually as an adult at around 3 years old they need less than a growing/maturing juvenile. Also it depends on the amount of work a dog does, my show dogs in hard exercise require more than my idling dogs

Avoid all proceced food that have preservatives, favouring and colourings (MSG is described as a natural flavouring - its bad!) Hot dogs are full of baddies too, okay for the very occasional training treat if you must but not something I would eber use as a food

At 18 weeks old your puppy can be chomping through chicken carcass, lamb ribs and the like with ease.

Share this album with anyone by sending them this public link:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.108851675882209.10637.100002721314559&type=1&l=13244f2ae7

181 - 200 of 223 Posts