Rottweilers Online Forums banner

201 - 220 of 223 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
hi thanks for that am really confused now as was thiunkin would start her off on a chicken leg once a day and i assume it would be ok for my orther dog who is a jack russ a smaller one but after reading what rottiemum said am totally confused now .should i give raw or not dont want to do it if causes harm .and someone just said to me dont give them raw as it gives them a taste of blood and they get aggressive over there food .am sorry to keep posting but she smy first rottie and want to do whats best for her .thanks all advice helpfull

·
Registered
58 Posts
Quote "someone just said to me dont give them raw as it gives them a taste of blood and they get aggressive over there food".....

Rubbish. They can and do get just as food aggressive with kibble IF YOU ALLOW IT.... It will be no more so with raw food at all.

Listen to Kaza and go by what she is telling you to do.

If you are going to feed kibble and raw then see this only as a transitional thing and not a permanent arrangement. That will be no good for the dog.

·
Registered
11 Posts
hi i have just been lent a book about rotties from another rottie owner and it says if giving dry food must wet first and can offer cuts of raw meat aside it for food so am totaly confused now .and they were told that from there breeder that its ok to do that .sorry to keep posting in here but am so confused now

·
Registered
58 Posts
Are you saying the book says it is ok to give kibble and raw together.... A bit surprised if that's the case and would question who it is written by... and sorry but would also then assume that the breeder herself hadn't made a big enough study on nutrition.

Ok - here is a piece written by kaza which she gave to me purely because this question is asked so often, but it is from some time ago and I hope she doesn't mind that I have reproduced it.

Quote...

Several people have recently asked why it is best not to feed a mixer with raw or a complete as a 2nd meal. Briefly, it goes back to the difference in pH the they create, a carnivores digestive physiology is suited to an acidic environment, not the more neutral environment that is created by dry food. A dogs digestion should begin in the stomach.

It is Pepsin which is responsible for starting the digestion of protein in the stomach. Pepsin is pH dependant and does not become activated until the pH drops below 4. Complete dry diets alter the stomachs environment which directly affects the action of Pepsin.

As the environment of the stomach becomes more neutral pepsin becomes denatured and its ability to digest raw food is reduced.

A dry diet shifts the start of digestion to the small intestine rather than the stomach this places a burden on the pancreas to work harder in producing enzymes. This is why so many dogs fed dry diets end up being fed supplementary enzymes.

Dry diets introduce insoluable fibre into the dogs system. The fibre binds bile which prevents reabsorption of the bile.

When bile is lost from the system the liver must work harder to increase its rate of production in order to maintain a pool of bile. Under normal phisilogical conditions 95% of the bile would be recycled.

·
Registered
688 Posts
hi i have just been lent a book about rotties from another rottie owner and it says if giving dry food must wet first and can offer cuts of raw meat aside it for food so am totaly confused now .and they were told that from there breeder that its ok to do that .sorry to keep posting in here but am so confused now
It is confusing at first...and I tried giving meat with kibble...(when I got started) and the only thing that was consistently produced was vomit. Pick one or the other...kibble...or raw...and go with it. I'm sure some people can get away with feeding their dog's a mix of meat and kibble...but it did not work for me.

·
Registered
17 Posts
G'day everyone, as posted in the introduction we feed Vladic a raw meat diet, Here is what we give him and the recommended information that we came across whilst researching the diet. If im reposting some old information i appoligise, could not really be bothered to back track through 20 odd pages of discussion.

COMPOSITION OF WEEKLY DIET

80% meat
10% edible bone
5% liver
5% other secreting organs (kidney, spleen pancreas) note; heart etc is muscle meat.

E.G 1/2 chicken less the organs (e.g. thigh and leg) would constitute a whole meal.

Sweet Potato and Pumpkin can be added on occasion for vitamin A (We usually give it to him once per week)

A grown dog should eat 2-3% of their ideal body weight each day, puppies up to 10% each day.

We give a usual diet of:

MINCE MIX (coarsely ground at home) alternating daily between:

Chicken bone in
Kangaroo
Beef including Heart, kidney and liver
OX heart and kidney
Fish (canned sardines in WATER not oil twice per week)
Chicken necks
One egg twice a week

Things to avoid:
Pork (until injections are completed usually 12-14 weeks)
Lamb (not generally recommended for Rottweilers)
Fresh salmon

all meat mixes are fit for human consumption working on the assumption that pet grade meat may not be 100% as indicated on packet.

We alternate our feeding times daily so that one day he will be feed at 6-12-6,
and day two will be feed at 6-10-2-6.

Our puppy is 7.5kg and we feed him 5-600g each day.

It took 4-5 days to get our puppy used to the diet, until he was had a runny stools which we gave him 1 tea spoon - 1 table spoon of natural yoghurt for.

The research that we did turned up a recommended diet of

Ox
Turkey
Beef (including heart)
Rabbit
Fish (canned sardines in WATER not oil once per week)
Kangaroo
Chicken - whole or any parts! (backs, necks, wings, etc.)
Turkey - whole or any parts (wings, necks, etc.)
Cornish game hens (whole)
Beef (any cuts)
Oxtail
Pork (necks, ribs, any cuts)
Rabbit
Fish (canned sardines in WATER, not oil, or Jack mackerel)
Quail
Buffalo
Kangaroo
Raw meaty bones and/or whole carcasses - chicken, lamb, pork,
Raw fish (at least once a week), beef, rabbit
Whole raw eggs in their shells
Organ meat kidney, liver (twice a week)
Tripe, green (not bleached)

I have also attached a puppy growth chart below for average growth rates etc. (stole this from another web site)
Your Rottweiler Puppy Growth Chart

Your Puppys' Age Average Puppy Weights
Birth 12 oz - 1.3 lbs
1 week 1.8 lbs - 2.6 lbs
2 weeks 2.9 lbs - 3.7lbs
3 weeks 3.7 lbs - 4.9 lbs
4 weeks 4.9 lbs - 6.5 lbs
5 weeks 6.5 lbs - 8.6 lbs
6 weeks 8.8 lbs - 11.0 lbs
7 weeks 10.2 lbs - 13.5 lbs
8 weeks 12.0 lbs - 15.8 lbs
3 months 33 lbs - 38 lbs
4 months 43 lbs - 50 lbs
5 months 53 lbs - 60 lbs
6 months 63 lbs - 70 lbs
8 months 75 lbs - 85 lbs
10 months 85 lbs - 95 lbs
12 months 90 lbs - 105 lbs

Also realize they are not 'sex specific' and there can be a significant difference between the weight of a female and male pup at the same age. Females will generally be on the lighter end of the scale, males towards the heavier end. But not always, there are a lot of variables!

And a handy chart that you can put on your fridge if your so inclinded.

puppy feeding schedule.jpg

Sorry for the long post. Hope this helps some people if they aren’t sure of making the change etc.

Regards,

Tim

p.s 1kg (kilogram) is 2.2 pounds (lbs) and 1 lbs is 0.45kg (450g)

·
Registered
688 Posts
"A grown dog should eat 2-3% of their ideal body weight each day, puppies up to 10% each day"

This was confusing to me when I first looked into feeding raw...and fortunately was steered in the right direction.
I was told to feed 2% of puppies estimated adult body weight....per day.
SO if your pup is going to be 100 lbs as an adult (estimated)...then they get 2lbs of food/day. Adjust accordingly.
Maybe they meant 10% of the puppies current body weight...but that formula would change almost weekly because of their growth?

·
Registered
17 Posts
" if your pup is going to be 100 lbs as an adult (estimated)...then they get 2lbs of food/day. Adjust accordingly.
Maybe they meant 10% of the puppies current body weight...but that formula would change almost weekly because of their growth?"
Yeah thats what i meant by 10%, bad sentence structure on my part. In regards to it changing weekly, thats why my missus drafted up the growth chart for the fridge ;).

·
Registered
688 Posts
Just an FYI for those who already feed raw...or those on the fence about feeding raw. I just got done reading a few books and one really sticks with me written by Tom Lonsdale called Raw Meaty Bones Promotes Health.
Without going into this man's quest to challenge kibble manufacturers...about what's really behind a baked kibble...he really explains in detail why, how, and what the long and short term benefit's of a raw diet is for pet's.
The first is a bit less technical...the second takes a bit more time to read. Being in the healthcare field for 25 years it was easy to follow...not that it get's that technical.
Raw Meaty Bones
Raw Meaty Bones

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
I'm about a month into feeding the girls a raw diet and I'm LOVING what I'm seeing already.

Teeth that had a little tartar buildup are clean, poops are small and not stinky (certainly not poop that one would expect from 65 and 70 pound dogs - more like from a 20-25 pounder!), eyes and coat are shiny - last bath was at the beginning of April - next one will probably be some time in the fall unless they REALLY need one before then.

I'm spending about the same per month feeding two dogs a raw diet as I was spending on kibble - maybe another $10 - STILL getting used to hearing them crunch crunch their way through their chicken backs!

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
quite right it is to feed a right amount of right feed to your pets as it is not to say that how far it is going to enhance their growth .. so keep caring well of them by keep feeding well
Your posts make no sense at all...WTF are you talking about?!?!?!!!!

Reactions: last5oh_302

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have been feeding my dogs raw for 2.5 years and my dogs love it. I feed only organic meat and vegetables.
The meat has to contain also organ meat. 80 percent muscle meat and 20 percent organ meat. The ratio is the same for 80 percent meat and 20 percent vegetables.
My dogs love it and turn their nose up on so called "treats"

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm getting another rottie pup here in a few weeks but am new to the raw feeding idea. I just want to make sure I have the basic guidelines down to switch him off whatever the breeder is feeding.

I should gradually take him off of the kibble over a few weeks, I plan on starting with chicken and some turkey. Feed him approx 10% of his expected full grown weight, divided into 3 meals a day.

I have read the guidelines in this thread and have an idea of it all but know it will take me doing it and getting to know him for it to be down pat but will also never be constantly the same per say.

Please let me know if I'm thinking right or wrong and also add anything I should know and may have overlooked in this thread.

Thanks for any help

·
Registered
189 Posts
It is the cooked bones that are a danger to our dogs. That is because they are dry and brittle. They break into sharp pointy bones that do cause damage. But uncooked chicken bones are just fine. I LOVE to watch (and HEAR) JJ crunch on a chicken leg quarter. It is such a very natural thing. To me, the sight of his eating raw meat and bones reaffirms that raw food is the best for our dogs.

JJ also gets pork bones from roasts and I am able to get him very large pork neck bones (really the neck and the clavicle) from a supplier in the area. I have avoided beef leg bones because they are weight bearing bones, and have been reported to cause cracks in dog teeth. When you read reports of what wolves eat, they don't eat the leg bones of their prey.
I agree with you. They damage the dog's intestines. It's definitely a no-no!

201 - 220 of 223 Posts