Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone,

well my pup is now 6 months old...she is really really great. she seems to be starting to get into a little bit of adolescence b/c she is testing somewhat at times. anyway, she is great and everyone loves her, but i only have a problem with her when someone is trying to approach her when she has a bone. she will have a low growl or once or twice freaked out and got very upset. i immediately try to correct her and she will calm down, but i need to know how to stop the behavior altogether. i take away her bones/ toys all the time and so does my girlfriend, and we have had no problems except once when i think my gf suprised her and she got scared. the problem is i dont have random people around who are willing to just go up to a 50 lb rottie and take her bone away and give it back. so shes not used to others around or approaching when she has a bone. not sure what to do about that whole thing, so any advice or tips would be great. any of you have these types of issues during adolescence?

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
If this happens when only other people are over and not to you and your gf,do not let the dog have any bones when anyone else is around.Only give her bones when you are sitting around relaxing with her.Then make sure to pick up all bones before retiring.

Bones must only be allowed out by you and then taken away and put some where she can not get them.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the only thing im worried about is by only giving her the bone when its just me or the two of us, am i ignoring the problem rather then correcting it?

shes the sweetest thing otherwise and plays with dogs all the time at daycare almost every day, but when it comes to things she thinks are "hers" she doesnt want another dog anywhere near them.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
That is the way all dogs are.Here if we have a problem with one toy while the dogs are out together.That toy is put away.When just one dog is out then that toy can also be out.

It's not a problem if it does not happen.If you know it could happen don't allow it to.If it is happening at dog day care then they need to fix it not you.

Donna

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Jdip, dogs will be dogs ...remember that ! I remember a time when people didn't want a dog if they couldn't stick their hand in a dogs food without them growling . I feel this way would you want someone sticking their hand in your food while you were eating ? I think not ! Same with a bone . When I give my pups a pig ear or pig heart they all get crated , not that they growl at anyone or each other just so each of them can eat it at their own pace ....does she have just one bone ? Maybe try giving her acouple so she's not so defensive about just having one ...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well she loves bones or greenies or anything she can gnaw on for a while. so when shes working on one shes very particular about it. she will chew on that bone till its gone, then if there is another bone around she will go over to it. as of yesterday i have been trying something new....when i or my gf go up to her to take the bone away, as we are taking the bone, we give her a little treat. maybe that will let her think of it as not such a bad thing?

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
That will help if you give her something when you take something.

All of mine are also crated when I give them new bones.

Zelda use to go around and scare all the other dogs and put all the bones in her crate.

·
Registered
144 Posts
<DIV>

Please listen to the good advice you're given by the others. It's too much of a risk to have treats of any kind when people, especially strangers, are around in your house. Even if your dog is well trained.

Your dog lives in that house andany object you give that dog,especially when it comes to food,will always perceive that everything belongs to it, at all times! Unless you do what the others have mentioned already, including some immediate training for the behavior.

Would you rather have someone get bitten over a bone or a treat? In my book, it just isn't worth it, especially when you know your dog has an issue with this.

If you want totrain right now. Teach your dog the "leave it" and "out" commands.

Use a collar and lead in your house and at all times when training. This gives you the direction and control you need to teach exactly what and when you want something.Put all different types of treats and objects on the floor, one at a time. Then walk by the object with your dog and tell them leave it, with a correction to do so if they don't. After the dog gets the idea, you can then use more then one object and also place the object in front of the dog for a sit/down command. You can get so good at it that the dog is in a stay, leave the room, come back, dog stayed and treat did too!

For the out command, when the dog has a boring toy, I say toy because sometimes this is easier to first train instead of food, tell the dog to out the toy. If they don't give it, givea correction to learn out. So this means spit anything in the mouth out now and do not touch it again! Once they get the idea, then you can start using food, etc. Making sure the dog understands what the command is and to be reliable.

When the dog gets both of these commands, then also try them in public areas, outside of the home, to reinforce the behavior, including around otherpeople anddogs.

If you're not going to a basic obedience class now, please go to one immediately.Explain your issues with thefood aggression and possessiveness to your trainer. Any good dog trainer will be able to help you. Besides, you need obedience training with all dogs, especially the age your dog is at now.

I hope this helps...</DIV>

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks i will try some of the things mentioned...shes been to a lot of training already. she went away to a internationally known trainer who has written a few books. the training worked great. she will stay in a down for almost an hour if i dont let her out. i can throw food or toys right by her and she wont move. all the other basic commands are also well learned. i keep a leash on her at all times. the only time i take it off is when she goes in her crate. so i am able to correct her asap. thats the thing with her, shes such an amazingly smart and gentle dog...it was just and only just the bone issue we were having. last night worked well, and i have the people at daycare trying the same thing. so hopefully we are starting the correction process and changing it somewhat.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I don't put up with resource guarding in my house. Johnny has never guarded anything - he even let a complete stranger take a bully stick from him. He knows exactly what he can expect if he refuses to give something up.

Chase (also a Rottweiler) was not in the habit of resource guarding, either.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts