Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been considering putting my 17 week puppy into puppy day care once a week. Basically they asses his confidence level then put him with a group of other puppies to play for the day ( I work night shift so trying to figure out a way to sleep once a week). I am extremely worried about leaving him in the care of someone else. Currently his training has been phenomenal but I’m worried he will pick up bad behavior in daycare or be scared and lose trust in me. But then another part of me thinks it’s good socialization (the one time he played with a puppy he loved it!). Am I over thinking? Thoughts? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
1,480 Posts
It depends?? It depends on how good the daycare is? and how much they will be hands on with your pup. If they just let your pup run and play all day...it could be really bad for him. If they control the play and let them play for shorter times throughout the day and really supervise him...it could be good? It could set him up to be a bully, or to be bullied...and make him dog aggressive for the rest of his life.

The best thing would be to get enrolled into obedience puppy classes....and work with him in class and at home. In a class setting he is getting socialized and working around other dogs. You may also meet a pup in class that you can meet up with to have some one on one play time with. Do you have any friends with nice dogs that like to play?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It depends?? It depends on how good the daycare is? and how much they will be hands on with your pup. If they just let your pup run and play all day...it could be really bad for him. If they control the play and let them play for shorter times throughout the day and really supervise him...it could be good? It could set him up to be a bully, or to be bullied...and make him dog aggressive for the rest of his life.

The best thing would be to get enrolled into obedience puppy classes....and work with him in class and at home. In a class setting he is getting socialized and working around other dogs. You may also meet a pup in class that you can meet up with to have some one on one play time with. Do you have any friends with nice dogs that like to play?
I had a feeling you might say that! The selfish part of me just wanted to sleep one day a week. We do a lot of work on trails and in public places and He has a short controlled puppy meet up this weekend. I have been dragging my feet in enrolling him in obedience classes because he has been so responsive to my training/NILIF. He even listens to commands from young children. Am I ignorant to think he won’t learn anything additional in young puppy obedience classes? As always thank you for your advice.

·
Registered
75 Posts
As someone who has done midnights you need to have him somewhere for your own health. Why not try the daycare, you could stay and watch from a hidden spot and see how it goes. You sure need it, I'm retired and puppies are BIG work.

·
Super Moderator
1,480 Posts
I had a feeling you might say that! The selfish part of me just wanted to sleep one day a week. We do a lot of work on trails and in public places and He has a short controlled puppy meet up this weekend. I have been dragging my feet in enrolling him in obedience classes because he has been so responsive to my training/NILIF. He even listens to commands from young children. Am I ignorant to think he won’t learn anything additional in young puppy obedience classes? As always thank you for your advice.
Have you checked out a bunch of different daycares?? That's why I said it could work...if it was more of a controlled setting....not a puppy free for all...for the day. I would think if daycare does not work out, then get a dog walker in a couple of times per day while you are sleeping...to get the pup tired out, walked and played with.

As far as obedience classes....taking them is a great way to bond with your pup, and to see how much he really does not know in a class setting with strange dogs, and strange people around. Usually the first couple of classes...you wonder where that smart trained puppy went. Your pup will learn in a distracting setting...and be much better for it. He will learn the the D's of training....Distance, Distractions, Duration. Who knows? You may want to go for his CGC as he matures. I've been to many classes with all of the dogs that I have had...and always learned something new.

·
Registered
95 Posts
As BBD says, Even if your training is going great your pup will get a lot from obedience classes.

Daycare would be the same for dogs as it is for kids, you'd need someone you trusted and wouldn't just pick one at random.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have you checked out a bunch of different daycares?? That's why I said it could work...if it was more of a controlled setting....not a puppy free for all...for the day. I would think if daycare does not work out, then get a dog walker in a couple of times per day while you are sleeping...to get the pup tired out, walked and played with.

As far as obedience classes....taking them is a great way to bond with your pup, and to see how much he really does not know in a class setting with strange dogs, and strange people around. Usually the first couple of classes...you wonder where that smart trained puppy went. Your pup will learn in a distracting setting...and be much better for it. He will learn the the D's of training....Distance, Distractions, Duration. Who knows? You may want to go for his CGC as he matures. I've been to many classes with all of the dogs that I have had...and always learned something new.
The day care seems to be a little bit of a free for all. They are supervised and placed by puppy temperament but still probably a large dog to trainer ratio. Maybe I will try just two hours and stay in the facility. If it works it works and if it doesn’t I will say I tried. All the reviews are glowing but I can imagine most dogs in attendance are not Rottweilers. Alright that’s what I needed to hear. I put out some calls to get him enrolled in classes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts