Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I’m hoping to get some helpful responses on my situation. sorry in advance about the novel

BACKGROUND:
I have owned 2 Rotties separately as an adult both came into my life as 1.5 year olds so I have missed out on raising them from puppies but i’m not new in training or handling rotties. however i am new
to owning two rotties at the same time We have adopted a 9 month old neutered male rottie puppy, he was raised with other dogs and had older and younger dogs on the farm he was living and did great interacting with them. We have had him about a week and a half. He a lovely doggo but seems to be missing a 4 legged companion and we ultimately want two dogs
We are currently looking at another male neutered rottie 1.5 years from a shelter closer to our home. this boy has been raised by a single man and didn’t have very much interaction with other dogs as the old owner worked long shifts. he’s a great dog who listens very well just learning about how to socialize properly
SITUATION
We have been introducing both dogs slowly on neutral ground walking them and letting them get to know each other, we have been doing this for about a week. Both dogs will walk fine side by side, ears are nice and relaxed, no tension in their bodies and no issues with one dog wanting to be in front all the time they will lick each other’s ears and start to play wrestle by nipping the front legs of the other dog. They have even grabbed the same stick and walked side by side holding it in their mouths.
today however they had a bit of an issue we went walking down by the river and they started playing and their leashes got wrapped up together and they could not separate so they snarled and the 1.5 year old ended up on top with the younger one on the bottom.. there were teeth and snarling but they were able to be separated easily there was no head thrashing but the older one took a tooth to his bottom jaw minimal bleeding. We separated both dogs by about 10 feet and they both were calm immediately no lunging or barking at each other. I laid
the older dog down on his side and kept him there for a little bit and we continued the walk and they had no issues walking beside each other again.. there was a little tension but that lasted about 5 min then they went back to playing. We have no had the ability to have them off leash yet in a contained area as the pound is way too chaotic, the plan was to do that in our back yard supervised.
we have a large dog run that is separated by a fence so each dog has its own space and a huge backyard so during the transition the dogs are together while we’re home and apart while we are at work.
I have never had to deal with a dog fight before and what I want to know is.. is this a red flag for moving forward with bringing the other dog home, I do not want to put either dog at risk nor my family, and is this normal behaviour for two dogs (i have older teenagers) any tips, tricks, advice, suggestions, stories are greatly appreciated
thanks

·
Super Moderator
1,811 Posts
Honestly, I'm surprised the shelter even let you think of adopting another male Rottweiler that is close in age. Your pup does not need another dog to keep him company, he needs you to become part of his pack. Get enrolled into some obedience classes and start bonding with your pup. In a year or two if you want another dog, then get a female Rottweiler, or a female of another breed. Having two young male Rottweilers at the same time could be real trouble!! Even if they seem to get along at times...something even small could trigger a fight. A toy, a treat and even playing, things could start to get rough and out of hand all of a sudden a fight starts!!! Then rehoming would be the only fair thing to do.

Rottweilers are known to be same sex aggressive. It would not be fair to either dog to have to live in the same household. Neutering does not make a difference.

Let someone else adopt this dog.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi, I had two male Rottweiler and one female. All together, to be honest I had no problem with them at all. Max was 4 months old, when I got him. Diesel was 9 months when Max came. Our female Rottweiler was around 8 years old. Max and Diesel got on so well together. Our female Jessie, left them to it.
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Smile Companion dog

·
Super Moderator
1,811 Posts
Hi, I had two male Rottweiler and one female. All together, to be honest I had no problem with them at all. Max was 4 months old, when I got him. Diesel was 9 months when Max came. Our female Rottweiler was around 8 years old. Max and Diesel got on so well together. Our female Jessie, left them to it. View attachment 19318
You were very lucky that you did not have problems. Some Rottweilers are soft in temperament....and if you get two males that are both easy going, and soft...there is a chance that they may get along. The problem is that they can get along for years....and all of a sudden some toy or treat, or misdirected aggression triggers a fight...and you have to live the crate and rotate life for many years ahead. :(

I don't know of any ethical breeder that has a male with proper Rottweiler temperament that would keep two males close in age in their home. I had two males.....and also a female at the same time. One dog was on his way out (he was about 10 years old at the time) and we agreed to adopt a rescue boy that was the same age as my female (about 4 years old at the time). I had to be careful....and really keep an eagle eye on them. The rescue male was taken to obedience classes and I kept him on a short leash all of the time. We have a big rural property....lots of space for running and exercise.

Rottweilers as a breed, are same sex aggressive. I would never push my luck trying to get two of the same sex, and close in age to live in the same household. No ethical breeder would sell a puppy to a home that already has the same sex of Rottweiler....unless there were some certain extenuating circumstances.

·
Registered
31 Posts
You were very lucky that you did not have problems. Some Rottweilers are soft in temperament....and if you get two males that are both easy going, and soft...there is a chance that they may get along. The problem is that they can get along for years....and all of a sudden some toy or treat, or misdirected aggression triggers a fight...and you have to live the crate and rotate life for many years ahead. :(

I don't know of any ethical breeder that has a male with proper Rottweiler temperament that would keep two males close in age in their home. I had two males.....and also a female at the same time. One dog was on his way out (he was about 10 years old at the time) and we agreed to adopt a rescue boy that was the same age as my female (about 4 years old at the time). I had to be careful....and really keep an eagle eye on them. The rescue male was taken to obedience classes and I kept him on a short leash all of the time. We have a big rural property....lots of space for running and exercise.

Rottweilers as a breed, are same sex aggressive. I would never push my luck trying to get two of the same sex, and close in age to live in the same household. No ethical breeder would sell a puppy to a home that already has the same sex of Rottweiler....unless there were some certain extenuating circumstances.
To be honest, I think they were both puppies and enjoyed playing together. I watch many times tugging at a rubber chicken. One had one part and the other had the legs. Watching them running around the garden, jumping in the dog pool. They actually loved each other, when we lost Diesel at the age of 6. Max never left his dog bed. We tried to encourage him to come in the front room with us. In the end we got our lovely Honey. Who was about about 3 years old. Private rehoming, she was such a beautiful soul. Loved all dogs, not bother about cats or squirrels. Max soon enjoyed life again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts