Rottweilers Online Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I am super new to this Rottweiler forum and am very excited to join your community.

The reason for me being on here is that I have paid for and will be picking up my Rottweiler puppy at the end of this month from a quality breeder with a proven track record of healthy and ethical breeding. I have done loads of research and have found a trainer who will help me at my home for training sessions as soon as I pick up the puppy. We will go over all the things that I read Rottweilers need to be good social family pets.

My Family situation is good. My Wife and I have 2 boys aged 8 and 4. We already have a small 5 pound female Chihuahua and we own our own home with a large back yard with good fencing.

My question to all of you is this: What is it really like owning a large defender breed of dog? I've owned a couple pugs and a 65 pound Redbone Coonhound in the past but always had affection for the Rottweiler breed.

1) Is having this dog really Ok with having children? I read both yes and no.

2) What is the true cost of feeding a large Male? We plan on doing a combination of premium kibble and home cooked meals for the dog.

3) Is the stereo type from misinformed people a problem? Meaning, when I take my full grown dog out on a walk or to a dog park or even camping, will I get treated negatively? Im sure to some degree it will happen but is it half the time all the time or on rare occasion?

4) The temperament of my breeders dogs is usually calm with a low prey drive. Will this allow people in my home safely if the dog doesn't know the person. My parents don't live near me and will on a few occasions a year come to visit and stay with us. My mom doesn't like dogs but is ok with being in the same room or home with them. My concern is that even though she can be in the same room she wont pet or play with them. Is this going to be a problem?

Thank you for all your help and advise. I want to make sure I'm doing the responsible thing for the dog and my family and any advise helps.

Kind regards,
The Gruffalo.

·
Super Moderator
1,258 Posts
Welcome to the forums! To answer some of your questions...
1) Having a Rottweiler with children is fine...but never leave young children unsupervised with your pup. Rottweilers are big and strong...and can knock a kid down quick.
My grandchildren grew up with our Jemma, and she loved them very much...and was very good with them. The problems can start when your kids have friends over...Rottweilers may not like kids running and screaming. They will worry about protecting "their kids". I would put away the pup/dog when kids that are not part of the family are around. Most Rottweilers are very protective of their family and a few close friends....they are not going to be loving everyone that comes to your home.

2) As far as feeding? Rottweilers are 'easy keepers'. After their initial growth as puppies and weight gain (that should be done slowly)...they don't need much food to maintain their weight. Make sure to feed a top quality food. My Jemma was 88 lbs and only ate 2 cups per day of Acana Regionals. A male once grown would need about 3 cups. The good foods are expensive...but you need to feed far less.

3) Yes the stereo type is there. Most people will cross the street...and avoid coming close. You can take your dog for a walk...but make sure he gets trained right from day one to walk nicely. He will have to have manners better than most dogs. Also, I would avoid dog parks. Rottweilers are not dog park material. Once the puppy starts growing up, he may start to not like certain dogs. Rottweilers can be same sex aggressive. They may not start a fight, but will not back down...and will end up the one that is blamed. It's better to have play dates with other dogs that are compatible with your dog, in someone's backyard. No dog park! Camping you should be fine....just remember that you need to control your dog.

4) Temperament depends? A Rottweiler by nature when mature should be suspicious of strangers. None of the Rottweilers that I've had through the years would ever let a stranger into our house. Now a friend and someone they knew...yes. As far as visiting your parents.....your dog should be fine...if you are around and your training has gone well. I would have my mother come for the day visiting out of the nursing home...and my 2 Rotties were just perfect and gentle with her. They layed their big heads on her lap and knew that they had to be careful and gentle....but that was with years of training. If you go visiting take a crate...and make sure your pup gets used to be crated.

The most important thing owning a Rottweiler is training, and by being a firm, but fair leader. Don't set them up to fail. Don't leave your dog out eating a bone...and have the kids bugging the dog...that kind of thing. You will have the best dog if you put the work into him.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello,

I really appreciate your feedback (big black dogs). Your post was very thorough and the information given is invaluable to me. What I got from it was Training, Training, and more Training. I will have a long discussion with my wife tonight and give her the information you delivered. I'm assuming most all other Rottie owners will say the same but if anyone has anything to add, I am all ears.

Thank you in advance again I appreciate all the feedback.

Very Kid Regards,
TheGruffalo

·
Registered
283 Posts
I'm not sure what I can offer (Agis is a Rottie mix, and a small one at that), but BBD has given some fantastic advice.

Also wanted to say that you sound like you're really researching and preparing, which is great!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Agis,

Yes, I know this is a big deal for not just myself, but the people I care about. I hear and read stories of people getting a dog and it not being what they wanted and the dog is always the one that suffers. Either its a re-homing, a bad home situation or ethnicization. It's so sad when that happens and I do not want to be that kind of person. A dog to me is a family member and similar to my kids, I want to provide a environment that will allow for success. The only way I can do that is by making sure I and the people around me are Ok and willing to put in the work required. Asking knowledgeable people about their experience is a fantastic resource and I'm so happy its here with people kind enough to reply to me.

Again, I appreciate all the guidance and advise.
TheGruffalo

1 - 5 of 5 Posts