Rottweilers Online Forums banner

Questions

1K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  bodacious 
#1 ·
Hello to all, this is my first post on this site.

My wife and I have been thinking of getting another dog. We have no kids right now butwe have a Maltese who is 3 years old. He is trained very well but also spoiled. The house we live in is big enough for 2 dogs. So size is not a problem if they want their own time alone.

My questions are:

1) How are your rottes with other small dogs?

2)Also, was anyone worried about have small kids around thesedogs. People usually tell me, have the kids first and then get the dog. But since we are doing it the other way around, I was wondering on how everyone felt about that one. I have been doing some research and it states that they have mellow termperament and are devoted to their families.

Just wondering on some of your thoughts. Since a friend of ours, her mother, and her aunt have all used this breeder and the termperament have been great.The breeder has a mom that is going to give birth anyday now.

Thanks for all your help

See less See more
#2 ·
These dogs are not the monsters that some would like you to believe they are. Little kids and dogs and even cats mix as long as you stay in control. I have seen jealous cats that don't like new babies and I have seen dogs ( all breeds ) who are not fond of new babies but they can get along as long as you make the rules and bring them up together. I think the biggest thing is people bring a child into the house and neglect the dog and yes, any of them can get jealous.

As for getting along with other dogs... many of our members have other dogs besides Rottweilers and cats too !

Socialization is VERY IMPORTANT right from day one. Buying a quality dog with good parents who have good temperment is a bonus.

Other members will chime in for sure ! WELCOME ABOARD
, nice to have you with us. See below

#3 ·
i agree with 2 bad,i had my first rott before i had kids ,but after a few years my family started to expand,when i brought my baby ,then more babies home ,i always included my rott[BOSSY LADY]i introduced her to my kids as i had them,and i used to tell BOSSY 'watch our baby'and she took her job seriuosly,she really acted like they were her offspring,she was that protective.but the key is not to neglect the dog once you have children.a rottweiler is a great family addition!!i believe everyone on this site will concur

#4 ·
Hi and welcome. I am with 2bad on this for sure...they are the most wonderful dogs you can hope to have but must be trained and really have rules and stay on top of rules. I have only one and no small children but we have 2 little ones that live next door. We have had Xari around them since he was small enough for them to carry him and now he is huge and when they come running to see him he falls to the ground and they get a good bath. Like 2bad said keep them with poeple as much as possible and the temperment of the parents is a plus if they are sweet. I am no expert by any means I just know what I've had with Xari and his parents were both just wonderful...Good luck

#5 ·
I owned a Toy Fox Terrier and Rottweilers.they did just fine with him(they were kind of scared of him).If brought up with other dogs or cats they learn to adjust.

I don'y know about the child thing as all mine have for legs,but I know of alot of people who have children and dogs

Welcome to the group

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.