Rottweilers Online Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am considering switching from kibble to raw diet..but i know nothing about raw diet..so if anyone could just give me some tips on, what to feed, where to buy, how to feed, how much to feed, when to feed, just i quick summary of the whole nine yards would be much appreciated. also, what are the benefits of feeding raw diet vs. kibble? thanks to all

·
Premium Member
2,000 Posts
Puppy or working dog gets 3% of its body weight in food per day. Others get 2%. That is total per day but they get half at a time being fed twice per day. Very young pups need fed 3 times per day.

The dogs need a combination of red & white meat. They don't need a balanced diet everyday. Mine will go several days on one kind of meat.

The dogs need fish oil for their skin & coat. canned mackarel, salmon, etc are a good choice.

Fruits & vegetables they need very little of.

Ross

·
Registered
927 Posts
It is not rocket science. Dogs have survived for thousands of years before the first kibble was invented, and survived very well with leftovers and their own hunting. Kibble is realitivly new (1950's ?) I remember my parents cooking up concoctions for the dogs, and Dad picking up moldy cottage cheese from the dairy and blood spotted eggs from the hatchery. The ickier, the better the dogs did. Amazing! I feed a variety of food. Not the same thing every day. You would not do well on a steady diet of the same thing every day and your dog will not either. The balance is week by week. Or day by day. One day heavy on bone, next day maybe more meat. Prey model is centered on digested stomach matter. Think about it. The first thing a prey animal on a bunnie is the stomach content, not the bone or meat, but the stomach. A dog cannot digest veggies, but does very well on digested veggies. TRIPE! and honey are all around food.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
JJ is, of course, raw fed. I follow the raw prey model. Therefore, he does not get fruits, vegetables or grains as part of his diet. But I am not a fanatic (just close to being one). I do give him some biscuits, and the occasional pizza crust. As far as veggies, NO
Raw tripe does not include the contents of the stomach. Wolves who have been observed have shown that they ignore the stomach contents, and just eat the stomach itself.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
I had an excellent article that gave all the basics of raw feeding, and it used to be a stickey. I don't see it any more - that is a shame. I will try to get the information together and send it to you via your email account.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
I feed my 3 Rotts, hamburger, sometimes steak if the date it has to be cooked or even right after the expired date, chicken, chicken livers, chicken gizzards and hearts, eggs with the shell, mackerel, tripe from cows it's white..... they don't like pig tripe. deer meat, raw bones with the marrow inside....they love them. Honey too. I also alternate from day to day what they are fed. I also give them Glucosamine peanut butter chews from GNC, fish oil also from GNC. I never feed them any grains of any kind, or veggies. The snacks that I give them are all natural too.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
I also feed JJ tripe, but it is the 'green' tripe. It has to be specially purchased as it is not fit for human consumption, and so isn't available where human grade food is sold. But there are butchers that provided meats for raw fed animals, and they also provide the green tripe. The white tripe in grocery stores has been super cleaned to make it okay for humans to eat.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Jared, I'll send you my document. However, it is on a mac computer. If you have a PC, be sure to save it as a ".doc" file before you open it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I feed my Rottie the Raw Prey Diet. I am around several other dogs (mostly labs) that are fed Kibble. It is night and day difference on how my Rottie looks compared to the Labs. Akia's coat is so much shinnier and sheds very little. One of the dog owners (mutt smaller cocker mixed with something but white in color) this dog was having all kinds of problems with it kibble. The owner tried several different kinds of kibble from cheap to high end (merrick) and there was a difference but dog still showed allergies to it. About a six weeks ago he switched his dog cold turkey to the Raw Prey Diet. Within a week Murphy (the mutt) began to blow his coat out. The ownerr freaked out and wanted to stop feeding raw but I told him that this is not out of the ordinary. Six weeks later Murphy is starting to look really well and healthy showing no signs of the allergies and his coat is beatiful (new coat still not done yet!!!) The big issue Murphy had with his transistion to Raw was extremely loose stools. I was told in this forum when I put Akia on Raw that Raw Pumpkin (unsweented) would help with this. Let me tell you 1 to 2 heaping table spoons prior to feeding makes a huge difference (excellent advise huntinghawk). Keep an eye on the poo, it will tell you everything you need to know about what your dog is missing from his/her diet as far as bone content. YOUR DOG WILL LOVE YOU FOR THE SWITCH. Lots of info on this forum and the internet. DO YOUR RESEARCH!!! Plan your dogs food out by the month. Buy in Bulk!!!!! Go to local butcher and ask about organ meat. Ask about organ meet during Deer season excellent source of free roam meat. If you feed Liver you need to know the source of it. Very important the liver is how the body detoxes itself. So many hormones are being used today you don't want to get your liver from that source. Oh yea one more thing get before and after pics of your Rottie. Maybe take a pic a week during the transition.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Raw & Natural Nutrition for Dogs: The Definitive Guide to Homemade Meals by Lew Olson Phd is now available on Amazon.com. Highly recommend this book. Lew is a Rottweiler breeder, Phd in nutrition, and owns B-natural products.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts