Rottweilers Online Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Forum =D i need your help regarding my mutt, i know hes not a rottweiler, but im scared it transfers to the other dogs including my rottie, so i hope im allowed to post this! this past month my hachi's skin is all dry, hair shedding a lot, and is flaky,dandruff, and he is loosing hair, he actually looks bald in some areas, you name it, i dont know if its because i didnt shampoo him, and we did go to the beach a lot, and i just rinsed all the dogs off with normal water, not shampoo, and i take the dogs to the horses everyday, and they do play in the horses drinking water, which is ground water, and salty, i dont know if that contributed to it getting dry, maybe.... or is it because i dont shampoo him often? my other mutt akira has the most silkiest luxurious coat of all my dogs, my rotties coat is rough to the touch but shiny, and i am hoping that converting to raw food his coat clears up, i attached pics for u guys, thank you forum! hope to hear answers from you =D 21072011167.jpg 21072011168.jpg

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
oh i forgot to mention this information, this is all my dogs first summer of their lives, and it does get hot, humid and sticky, maybe that contributed to his condition? but then again, my other dogs are not suffering from this

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Take them to the vet as soon as you can......It sounds to me it could be allergies. They will need a shot and believe me if it is it will clear up in a few days!
Hi Forum =D i need your help regarding my mutt, i know hes not a rottweiler, but im scared it transfers to the other dogs including my rottie, so i hope im allowed to post this! this past month my hachi's skin is all dry, hair shedding a lot, and is flaky,dandruff, and he is loosing hair, he actually looks bald in some areas, you name it, i dont know if its because i didnt shampoo him, and we did go to the beach a lot, and i just rinsed all the dogs off with normal water, not shampoo, and i take the dogs to the horses everyday, and they do play in the horses drinking water, which is ground water, and salty, i dont know if that contributed to it getting dry, maybe.... or is it because i dont shampoo him often? my other mutt akira has the most silkiest luxurious coat of all my dogs, my rotties coat is rough to the touch but shiny, and i am hoping that converting to raw food his coat clears up, i attached pics for u guys, thank you forum! hope to hear answers from you =D View attachment 1540 View attachment 1541

·
Registered
577 Posts
My eyesight isn't that good. I assume Hatchi is on the raw diet too? Other than what has already been suggested 'some' dogs can be iffy with chicken.

My new Cairn came to me with a similar issue and would itch like mad and suddenly get similar looking areas but without soreness.

Prior to her arriving I ordered a bag of chicken wings with my tripe for her. (I dont use that companies chicken on my Rotts) Anyway I stopped using the chicken wings and the itching and spots stopped. It may be the chicken some commercially raised chicken have some not so desirable things in their feed, try a different protein source, Lamb, tripe, goat - not beef.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank you guys! yes they are all on a raw diet, but his skin was like this even before the raw food, and when i took him to the vet he gave me the royal canin hypo allergenic skin food, which didnt help! its only been a week into raw food, ill be taking him to the vets after the weekend, and wont mention the raw food, as he is anti raw and will tell me to keep feeding the kibble, since its the raw that contributed to this problem, thank you guys!

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Take them to the vet as soon as you can......It sounds to me it could be allergies. They will need a shot and believe me if it is it will clear up in a few days!
thank you for your reply =D yes i did take him, but he didnt give an injection, but suggested i take a hypoallergenic food, which didnt work! thats when i happened to know about raw food, i will go back after the weekend, and see what he says =D im hoping its good!

·
Registered
111 Posts
My Rottweiler has real bad allergies to pollen and grass. He had something similar. We have him on fish oil and antihistamines daily and now a special shampoo. He didn't get it until he was 2 and now winter is about the only time he gets full relief.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
When I started Jayda on the raw food, she 'detoxed' from the kibble - ears were horribly smelly and her coat looked horrid for about 2 weeks - after that it all cleared up nicely.

Take the dog to the vet if the dog is itchy.

Reactions: Aisha Al Midfa

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
Today I asked my husband to pick up some bones for the dogs. Instead of looking for one that was out for sale I asked him to ask if he could have big bones cut because our rotties need big bones. He said sure and sent him home with so many big bones for free I could barely believe it. I was shocked and very happy. I could hardly get them put in our refrigerator's freezer. Now they will have nice big bones for sometime.

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
Aisha, I give my dogs 3 - 1000mgs of fish oil a day (I buy at Walmart here) and 400IU of Vitamin E - 2 times a week. When I give them a bath I use HydroSurge Oatmeal with Apple Scent Shampoo. Oatmeal soothes the itch and the conditioners in the shampoo make them shine. I bet the salt water could be making it worse. Like tlweeks said Benadryl sold at most stores can be given to help with the inflammation. I don't know if you can order from the states. I keep Benadryl on hand for us and the dogs. I buy generic Benadryl at Walmart too. I don't know if you have Walmart Stores in the UAE.

Benadryl for Dogs ? BENADRYL FOR DOGS

HydroSurge® - Shampoo Details

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My Rottweiler has real bad allergies to pollen and grass. He had something similar. We have him on fish oil and antihistamines daily and now a special shampoo. He didn't get it until he was 2 and now winter is about the only time he gets full relief.
poor thing, i honestly think it is the sea water, then again im not sure, ur rottie reminds me of two of my horses, they have the worst case of sweet itch, and every summer it gets so bad, i hate summer time!

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Aisha, I give my dogs 3 - 1000mgs of fish oil a day (I buy at Walmart here) and 400IU of Vitamin E - 2 times a week. When I give them a bath I use HydroSurge Oatmeal with Apple Scent Shampoo. Oatmeal soothes the itch and the conditioners in the shampoo make them shine. I bet the salt water could be making it worse. Like tlweeks said Benadryl sold at most stores can be given to help with the inflammation. I don't know if you can order from the states. I keep Benadryl on hand for us and the dogs. I buy generic Benadryl at Walmart too. I don't know if you have Walmart Stores in the UAE.

Benadryl for Dogs ? BENADRYL FOR DOGS

HydroSurge® - Shampoo Details
Thank you so much for your advice, i do buy a shampoo my vet says is very safe, so im hoping it will work out! unfortunately we dont have walmart here =( i wish!

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Today I asked my husband to pick up some bones for the dogs. Instead of looking for one that was out for sale I asked him to ask if he could have big bones cut because our rotties need big bones. He said sure and sent him home with so many big bones for free I could barely believe it. I was shocked and very happy. I could hardly get them put in our refrigerator's freezer. Now they will have nice big bones for sometime.
Lucky you!!!! i wish i could get free bones! u deserve it, and i hope a lot more comes your way, you are a very kind person

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
When I started Jayda on the raw food, she 'detoxed' from the kibble - ears were horribly smelly and her coat looked horrid for about 2 weeks - after that it all cleared up nicely.

Take the dog to the vet if the dog is itchy.
thank you for your reply! no he isnt itchy, but this isnt cuz of the raw food as he had it ( mild ) before, and i took him to the vets and he suggested a hypoallergenic food which didnt help! thats when i joined the forum and saw the thread on raw foods, i cant wait till the two weeks are over!!!!! i want to see the change =) one thing i noticed is that they have a lot of endurance and energy, somthing they didnt have in this 50 degrees celcius heat!!!!

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
It may take longer than 2 weeks...if not from 'detoxing' off of kibble it could certainly be something else.

Reactions: Aisha Al Midfa

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
hey everyone! an update from the vet,, he suggested i feed him the hypoallergenic food, but i told him i already had a bag, and will carry one with that, i asked him if there are any injections that should be given, and he just said he dosent need it, hopefully its just a phase, and the rawfood will help a great great deal, cant wait for that, stupid cats are not taking the raw meat kindly though... silly critters, tried fish, quail,chicken, eggs, NOTHING!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts