Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, please help! My Rottie has been licking his testicles and I've noticed they've got white and red marks on them. He's 3 years old and he's never done this before. It's still so early and no vets open yet. I've put ointment on which calmed him down but he seems to be in discomfort. Is this reason for concern?

Wood Whiskers Fawn Snout Wool
Wood Whiskers Fawn Snout Wool
Liver Gesture Eyelash Natural material Wrinkle

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like some sort of contact dermatitis. It could be he was laying on something that irritating it? Or it could be from a bug or fly bite? It's best if you don't allow him to lick and bother the area. Let us know what the vet says.
Hi there, thanks so much for responding! My vet is fully booked today, but I have got an appointment for him on the 13th in the morning. I will definitely give feedback. I did buy him a antibiotic ointment at my local chemist in the meantime to prevent him from being in pain tonight. Will keep you posted♥

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The problem with putting ointment on his testicles is that he will try to lick it off and irritate it even worse. I would see if you can give it a bit of a scrub with some anti-bacterial soap, dry the area...and put on some shorts or underpants on him so he cannot lick the area. A cone of shame would work...but it often gets the dogs upset to wear. I always keep some Vetericyn on hand for scrapes, bites and irritations. You spray it on. Order it on Amazon.
Hi Emmy!

Excellent advice, thank you!♥

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks like some sort of contact dermatitis. It could be he was laying on something that irritating it? Or it could be from a bug or fly bite? It's best if you don't allow him to lick and bother the area. Let us know what the vet says.
Hi Big black dogs♥,

My Rottie had his ballies removed today. It was as you said Dermatitis and the only solution for that is to have them removed! They kept the sacks but removed the insides. He's home now and resting and will be spoiled (of course!) when he recovers from the anaesthetic, but I am so relieved it is sorted. I was never going to breed with him anyway so I am glad it is done. Thanks so much for your advice!♥

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well my nightmare is not over, my Rottie developed SEVERE RAZOR BURNS on the sides of his now empty testicles. I am beyond livid. It is 2 days now and he cannot walk for 2 seconds without falling down and licking himself to death. He is in so much agony. I expect this kind of treatment from careless dog groomers, but from professional veterinarians?? Totally UNACCEPTABLE. I had to rush yesterday to another vet to get ointment for him, which throughout the night and today did not help. I've mixed Corn Startch and plain yoghurt made it a paste and now is he settling down.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's a real shame!! He should not be in agony from a razor burn. They do have to shave before doing surgery. Did you get any pain meds to give after his neuter surgery?? I would again put something on him so he cannot start licking. The more he licks the more slowly it will heal and be done with. Call the vet and ask what to do.
I did put ointment on (Curatex), sprayed cooling post surgery spray for pain and discomfort but it doesn't help. I even did my own mixture of plain yoghurt and corn starch which cleared the rash but he's got infection from the operation. I had to rush to another vet this morning that was thankfully open (due to easter weekend) and he gave us antibiotics and more curatex and pain meds. I'm LIVID, my poor dog would lie down and then start whimpering in discomfort. I have never experienced such poor shoddy work from a vet before. I've had my female dogs sterilized and have never even had razor burns / rashes so for me this is a new experience. I'm going to see them personally on Tuesday and I want answers before I take this further. And I am going to take this further. I will report them to the SPCA and Animal Anti Cruelty League here in South Africa as well.
Eye Liver Finger Fawn Whiskers

Eye Whiskers Fawn Liver Terrestrial animal

1 - 6 of 6 Posts