Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a quick question on our Sheba. I just got a call from the Humane Society and she passed her test, with all "A", except a "B" in Dog Agression. She wants to the be the agressor.. Suprise Suprise, from a Rotti. I figured as much. That's fine, we'll work with her on that.

But,, the lady told me that they took her away from a home that had her a chain link pin, with another Rotti who was left for dead for 2 weeks before they came out and buried the little guy.. (
God Bless his soul..) IF that wasn't bad enough, she lived in her and the other dog'sfilth and feces, becuase the owner didn't take care of them at all.. I was told she was on a 2 foot chain so it's was a mixture of both. We are wanting to make Sheba a indoor dog most of the time, and then when it's nice outside she can be in a Kennel during the day only. Max 4 hours. I don't want to keep her cooped up in a crate while we are at work. BUT.. I'm nervous now that she stayed in her filth for so long.. Do you think it'll be hard to housebreak her????? Any ideas???

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
She shouldn't be much different to train than a puppy and willl probably be easier. Crate training works best because even if she was on a short chain in the past once she figures out she doesn't have to lay down in that mess she will learn not to go in her crate and then move on to not going in the house. The agression is probably food related and I wouldn't let kids near her when she eats anyways. Believe me when I tell you that I believe a rescue just " knows " that you saved its butt and they can be so very loyal for that. No rescue is going to be perfect and it will take a little while for them to feel at home but don't give up on them !!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2Bad - Thank you for the information... We are going to pick her up this weekend and spend the weekend with her. I want to buy her a crate instead of keeping her in a bathroom overnight. We live in a rural small town, so I'll have to go to Cincinnati, which is like 45 minutes away.. Do you think I should take her with us to say a Petsmart or Pet Store? I'm not sure becuase of her agreesion towards other dogs? But I feel I need tohave her with us to see how big to get the crate, and leash and collar to fit her?

Sorry for so many questions.. I just want to do thisright..

Thanks again for your help.. :)P

·
Banned
1,135 Posts
YES take her with ....

just remember they get bigger .... at 3 1/2 my boy is getting thick

not any taller but wider ......

collars you should go through a couple of them ....

i hope them sites about rehoming off my web site help you ......

just remember TLC .... and never YELL at her .... a stern word

is much more affective then yelling or screaming ......

and accidents happen in the house ..... my boy will make a

mess .... only when he is sick ...... but accidendts do happen

glad you desided not to keep her there another month

·
Registered
328 Posts
I think it's probably ok to take her with, but please be on your toes and watch other dogs. Sometimes owners don't have a clue what their dogs are doing. And if one comes after her, she may want to finish the battle. Let us know how it goes.

Barb

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've been contemplating whether to take her or not.. and we are still not sure.. I don't want to overwhelm her,, and I'm really not sure about her agression yet to put her in that situation.. So I'm gonna play it by ear.. I'll let you know on Saturday evening what we did... :)

Thanks for your thoughts on this.. I'm such a new mom..

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
heather, just my opinion but being that she is not really with you yet , just on weekends and such I wouldn't take her to a place that there might be a confrontation with other animals . I feel you need to wait till you have had her for a bit before you take her to a pet smart or a place like that . Just my opinion .....

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We'll we did not attempt the Petsmart.. But we did decide to keep her all the time,, instead of just weekends, and then bored her on our vacation.. It would had been to tough to take her back....... She's done really really well except for a few minutes ago.. She's been in the house all weekend, and hasn't had any accidents.. But she just did. I blame ourselves, because it's been pouring outside all day and my husband was a bit laxed about taking her out for a long period of time.. She hasn't gotten use to do the business and get back in......

I just sent him out to get carpet cleaner, and some type of dog odor disguise.. I don't know I read there was something to put down on the carpet to keep her from wanting to go pee there all the time.. Am I wrong on this??? Not sure...

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
They make all kinds of stuff for that.If someone has an accedent or when I clean the carpets I use.Anotec it comes in odorless or fruity.We use the fruity smelling stuff.

Glad to here you got your baby.

·
Banned
1,135 Posts
heatherstone30 said:
it's been pouring outside all day and my husband was a bit laxed about taking her out ...

I just sent him out .. Am I wrong on this?
Poor Guy

If he's gonna do it ...... How could it be WRONG

My boy will swim in a mud puddle .... BUT go outside in the RAIN

not on my life ..... NOPE not happening ..... they think they melt

1 - 10 of 10 Posts