Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the forum. Hello everyone!!

We just went out to our local Humane Society this weekend, and fell in love with a rottweiler. Her name is Sheba, she almost 2, and she is soo loveable. Adorable. The neglect she had gone through wasn't abuse in the form of hitting or anything, but her original owner went to jail and the father took the dog and hated it,, so put her on a 2 foot chain in the yard with no dog house or anything...

Anyways,, I have a 4 year old daughter, and we've never had a dog before as a family.. It's me 30, my husband 34 and our daughter. I use to own a Chow, but he went to my ex-husband during the divorce. Anyways,, I also have a 6 yr old neice and 4 yr old nephew who might come over a few times during the summer.. I took them all with us to play with her before I choose to adopt her. She was soo WONDERFUL with them. Her behavior test went through with FlYINGcolors. Now when I tell people we adopted a Rotti, they all act like I'm a horrible mother, and I should never have a Rottiweiler around my little girl.. I'm confused,, and we looovee Sheba,, she is wonderful.. We are doing a slow adoption as in we are gonna do day trips and so forth till we move to our house in the country. She'll be in a indoor/outdoor dog, meaning when we're not home or it's nice outside she'll be in a Kennel, when we're home she'll be inside with us.. Any thoughts,, on everyone fears..

·
Banned
1,135 Posts
Well first " welcome " to rottweilers on line

And " thankyou " for rescue'ing ....

I have NEVER had a problem with my rescue's and children EVER

it is not advised to let children play unsupervised with any dog

BUT people that have such fears about rottweilers have NO clue about

this breed ....

i dint understand " slow adoption day trips " but whatever works best

after you post one more time you will have a chat box open where your calendar is .... then you can ask quastions and get answers in real time .....

again welcome and thankyou for rescue'ing a rottweiler in need

you will NEVER regret that desision .....

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you soo much!!!!!

That makes me feel soo good.. I figured we'd never leave Sheba and my daughter Bella alone.. I figured when new kids come we'd sit with her on a leash or put her in the kennel as to not confuse the kids with her.. Kids can be mean and I don't want Sheba to have to deal with it.. I figured I could train both my daughter and Sheba to play together without the being mean pulling hair or hitting.. That just doesn't fly in my household.

The reason for a slow adoption is becuase we are in a trailer right now, and we aren't allowed a dog, we are moving in June, so we are going to take Sheba on day trips and so forth as to get use to us and our new home. Our new home is a house with a big yard in the country, and I don't want to confuse her with us moving to a different place and stuff. She's been through enough.

·
Banned
1,135 Posts
funny thing when my boy met my daughter he seemed to know instantly that she was family ..... he welcomed her right in ....

she lives up north .. she is also 19 and he is 3 so she got a kick out of him thinking he was here first ....

but you will find posts here with lil children hangong all over him at different parties we go to ...... even strangers seem to have no fear of letting there children around him ....

personaly i have not yet run into any predjudece against us for being a rott YET .... but i know its out there ..... dont let them change your mind about getting her ....

they are very loyal loving pets

she is some lucky to have day trips out of the pound ....

rotts - a - luck

·
Registered
328 Posts
I had a rottie named Sheba many years ago. My daughter came later and things were great between them. I must say, my kids and dogs are never left alone together. My daughter was taught manners with the dog and things were good. I'm more leary of what children do than what the dog will do. LOL I think my daughter got in way more trouble for her behaviour than the dog ever did. My kids were a lot older before I would even let them take dogs outside when they got home from school. Better safe than sorry.

Good luck with your new girl, and pics soon please.

Barb

I think my sheba pic is under the rottie pics forum on here.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Hi there ...
. Nice to have you with us and I too would like to thank you for saving one !

Rottweilers and children get along just fine if they are raised right.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How adorable... I've got tears in my eyes from seeing that pictures..

Thank you Thank you Thank you!!!!!

I'm so happy to rescue her. She's gonna love our home,, we have so much love to give.. And being we've had so much trouble having another child,, I think she's going to fill a gap that we have in our little family..

Thank you for not making me feel like a bad mother for wanting Sheba.. Thank you Thank you!!!

·
Registered
846 Posts
I have a 2 yr old daughter, and a 18 month old rottweiler. I trust him more with her than her grandfather. LOL. No dog should ever be left alone with a child of any age. I know I am a great mom. All you have to do is teach your child respect, and the dog to respect the child. Happy home, no bad parenting

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you I appreciate that. I know I am a good mom too. I just am now not sure what to say when people put me on the spot about it.. At this point, I'm just saying "that any dog has the tendency to bite, if left alone with a child" and we aren't going to allow that.. She'll be fine with Sheba. I know it.. I feel she'll be a loveable rescue pet. And I hope she'll feel our love, and know we are a good family and that she'll never be harmed by us..

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Here is another picture of two of them with the baby. The big one is 155 pounds and he is so lovable towards kids.He is a rescue and he is fine . I would be more worried about the big clown bumping into a little kid and knocking them over.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
She is darling.. They both look like they would protect her with there lives if they could!!!!! That is wonderful!!!

I also seen your website with all three of them.. They are gorgeous!! Absolutely Beautiful!!!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Congrats on getting a rescue,,,My wife and I have a 2 year old female Rott we got from wisconsin rottweiler rescue. She has turned out to be the best dog we ever had. She is super with kids and even knows which houses to watch for her friends she has made. We haad one of my daughters friends over to visit the other night and she brought her son{7 yeas old} along Our girl {Zena} had a blast with him,,,folowed him around like he was carrying a hambone. We also will not leave kids alone with her, you never know what a kids gonna do when your not there. My wife and I are gonna be grandparents in september and dont have the slightest concern about Zena being around the baby

1 - 12 of 12 Posts