Rottweilers Online Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, wow it's been a while since I've posted. But the Marine Corps keeps me rather busy. I love Rocky to death, but I'm upset that he still hasn't taken the shape of thorough bred Rottie. What do you think? Breeder said his father didn't "blow up" until age 4-5.
I moved him and my wife and daughter home to Texas in October because my enlistment expires in April, but the last time I weighed him I believe he was around 105 pounds.
He's also 27" tall.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
Jared, It's great to see you. Rocky is tall and lean and he might not fill totally out until he is about 4. I saw pictures of Moose when he was young and he was thin and tall. He is almost 4 and I took this picture today. He is finally filling out.

Reactions: jared_brown

·
Registered
346 Posts
He's a nice looking dog from the pic's it's hard to tell since all there is are front shots, He prob will fill out a little bit more.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Jared, Rocky looks like he still has room to grow into those paws. Rotties like other large breeds are slow to mature. Some individuals take longer than others. The goal is not fast growth, but slow and steady growth, as too fast growth can be detrimental to joints and bones. He doesn't look like he's reached full physical maturity. He is a young handsome boy and is only a little over 2 years old. He may need another 2 full years before he reaches full physical maturity. Be patient with him and appreciate and love him for the individual that he is. Focus on his health and his mind, feed him a nutritionally sound diet, provide positive training and just enjoy him as amember of the family. Afterall, that's what having a dog should be all about.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
I do have to ask, exactly what 'shape' is a purebred rottie? Is Rocky neutered? If so, how old was he when neutered? Most dogs, if spayed/neutered young, tend to be taller and leaner than those altered when older. Most males don't fully mature mentally or physically until 3-5 years old - go to a dog show and look at the younger males...some are quite goofy looking!

All of my dogs, purebred or rescue, grew UP and then filled OUT as they got older. Ben didn't really fill out until he was about 6-7 years old - and he was never really that big - top weight was about 85 pounds.

Neelah is from a litter of 11 puppies who will be six in June (OH MY DOG, when did that happen <LOL>) and has topped the scaled at a long and lean 70 pounds - she is also quite narrow while her littermates are stockier...Neelah was spayed at 7 months old, but she was never a big puppy - at 5 months old, she was 37 pounds, when her siblings were probably closer to 45-50 pounds.

·
Registered
395 Posts
He's a handsome boy! He looks just fine now. You don't want him too big or heavy, it's tough on the joints. Warlock is 17 months old, and his head is just now starting to fill out. His body has more growing to do also. He looks kind of gangly to me, but he's got good musculature.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts