Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again everyone, it's been months since i've posted on here, you may or may not remember my posts about when Rocky had his fall on the stairs at 6 months old, he split his pelvis i believe it was. He is now 1 year old, and is really hurting. From a sit or lay, he uses his upper body to pull himself to a stand, and often when we play and he pivots or turns fast, he whines loudly. I'm not sure what to do, what i have planned was to possible wait till he's 2 years old, and have his hips x-rayed to see if there was a possible operation that could be done to fix him. What do you think? Money is not a factor, i don't care what it costs to get my boy back to normal, is there an operation that could fix his hips?

·
Registered
880 Posts
so sorry to hear that Jared. I would get him to the vet asap- I wouldnt wait until he is 2. and I would for sure get him on a joint supplement- glucosamine and chondroitin at the very least. The vet can give him some non steroid anti inflammatories to aleviate his symptoms. But the vet is the first thing to do. Keep us posted on him, and dont stay away so long!

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
Jared, I have been thinking about you recently and wondering how you and your family were doing. I am so sorry about Rocky. I don't have any advice since it hasn't been an issue for me. Patti's advice is good. Congratulations on your new dog and of course your baby.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you so much Martha and Patti! Yes since Tatum was born (10/20/10) things have been very hectic and busy as you can imagine!! I actually just called my breeder last week and told her i was ready for another pup, and she just happened to have 2 litters due in Feb, one of which the sire is Rocky's father! :) But I fell in love with Bella and could not allow her to go to a home of someone we did not know. So the rottie pup will have to happen someday in the future! Anyways, I will get Rocky to the vet immediately, I honestly thought that if your dog got hooked on meds that eventually he would become immune to them. So first stop on payday is the vet!

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
You can buy Glucosamine & Chondroitin at a Walmart. My husband takes it and sometimes I give Moose a tablet. I take one now and then too. It helps my husband with his knee pain.

Glucosamine & Chondroitin for Hip Dysplasia & Arthritis in Dogs
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+1448&aid=670

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Martha, you are the key example of why i love this forum, i just ordered a pound of the joint care chewables, i wish i would have had enough to overnight them but that's too expensive haha, i hope they work! that page you sent has amazing information, thank you so much!

You can buy Glucosamine & Chondroitin at a Walmart. My husband takes it and sometimes I give Moose a tablet. I take one now and then too. It helps my husband with his knee pain.

Glucosamine & Chondroitin for Hip Dysplasia & Arthritis in Dogs
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+1448&aid=670

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
Jared, You're welcome. Rocky should see a Vet and follow his or her suggestions. The Glucosamine & Chondroitin isn't going to change anything if he does have HD but it might help him feel a little better. It took awhile until my husband felt results in having less pain in his knee. If I had a dog that developed HD I would do everything possible before considering surgery. If surgery is necessary then it should be done. Years ago I had a neighbor that had a beautiful GS puppy but at 6 months he was diagnosed with HD. They had him PTS. I don't think they did surgery like that back many years ago. Someone who knows more about how to help Rocky should give their advice since this is really out of my league. I wish you and your family and Rocky the very best.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts