Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 3 year old Male Rottie and have noticed his eyes water with white or clear sticky mucus stuck in the corners of his eyes.Its a very small amount that normally needs wiping 2 to 3 times a day.Is this normal for the breed or should I be talking to my Vet about it. I live on a farm by the way that has light sandy soil so I thought the sand might be getting into the eyes possibly on windy days.Any thoughts appreciated.......

·
Super Moderator
1,932 Posts
Welcome to the forums. It is not normal for their eyes to be wiped 2 or 3 times a day. It could be caused by this hot, windy weather? or something else can be causing it. You could try going to the drugstore and buy some sterile eye drops...like Visine and try putting a couple of drops in per day and see if that helps. If that does not help then I would make an appointment with the vet. Sometimes it can be caused by nothing much...and sometimes it can be a bacterial infection, etc. Let us know what happens.

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Welcome to the forums.B It is not normal for their eyes to be wiped 2 or 3 times a day. It could be caused by this hot, windy weather? or something else can be causing it. You could try going to the drugstore and buy some sterile eye drops...like Visine and try putting a couple of drops in per day and see if that helps. If that does not help then I would make an appointment with the vet. Sometimes it can be caused by nothing much...and sometimes it can be a bacterial infection, etc. Let us know what happens.
All my rotties have that white goop in their eyes. Hank is the worst. Lots of goop. BTW , Hank ingested about 90 ml THC that I had around as a treatment for my broken ribs. He spent the night in an emergency center. I asked about the goop and the vet said it was natural.

·
Super Moderator
1,932 Posts
All my rotties have that white goop in their eyes. Hank is the worst. Lots of goop. BTW , Hank ingested about 90 ml THC that I had around as a treatment for my broken ribs. He spent the night in an emergency center. I asked about the goop and the vet said it was natural.
Sorry to hear about Hank. That must have been scary. Getting goop in the eyes about once a day is pretty normal...having to wipe out goop 2-3 times per day is not normal.

·
Registered
66 Posts
My Lola had the same thing. Several tests showed that she had entropion. It is a condition where the eyelid rolls inwards and the eyelashes rub against the eyeball. It is fairly common in Rotties. She was referred to a veterinary opthamologist who did surgery ($$$) to correct it. The condition isn't particularly painful, but if not corrected can cause diminished sight or blindness (per the vet).

Dog Carnivore Dog breed Working animal Pet supply
Dog Carnivore Collar Rottweiler Working animal

1 - 9 of 9 Posts