Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new here, hoping someone can help me. I have an eight month old male rottie, he has behaviours I am not sure he will out grow!!!! he likes to mouth and nip at us all, loves to jump up on you, nudges you with his body to move u out of the way and has a high body odor, he has a bath about once a month. We live in the caribbean, so he is outside most of the time, I would like to make him an inside dog, but he seems so intent on doing his own thing. He is very intelligent but just wants to do it in his own time. We have a 10 yr old and I am worried that our dog will only get more diifcult to manage. Love him to pieces as otherwise he is a very sweet dog.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Everything except the body odor sounds like a normal untrained puppy, that is also a bully. Jumping, nudging for attention, pushing you out of the way - this pup rules the yard! He needs training!!! Do a search for "NILIF" - Nothing In Life Is Free" - this pup must EARN everything - attention, petting, walks, food...he has no respect for you.

The body odor could be from several things - anal gland secretions are very strong fishy smelling, ear problems smell yeasty (and ears often will have dark debris in them), tooth/mouth issues (even in a young dog) can cause a dog to have an odor, and a poor diet can lead to body odor. Have him checked nose to tail for medical reasons for the body odor.

Also, frequent bathing strips the oils from the coat, leaving it dry and flaky.

What are you feeding him for food?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your help, he is fed Purina puppy chow mixed with canned dog food. He really is a bully:eek:, I have tried training him he sits, stays a little and then does everything else in his time, what I found is that he seems obsessed with the treats, as long as i have one he will do anything, if not sorry, its every man for himself. I will checkout the search suggestion. Will also check with vet about body odor. Thanks again for your advice.

·
Registered
688 Posts
NILIF for sure....for everything...from being petted...fed...let in...let out...everything. We staged jar's of treats where we were most likely to need them...and had them ready for when the dog did what we were asking of them. Now we have the advantage of starting NILIF at 8 weeks when our pups...were pups. Recently we fostered a 4 y/o male Rottie, and he has a "slight" food and toy aggression problem with the other dogs. So were working on it....he is also NILIF....started that as soon as he got here. He was used to bullying his way in to be petted...out the door he would try and bolt ahead of everyone...ect. Now he wait's...and until we release him...he stay's put. Be consistent...be positive...and be patient.
Regarding "BO"....we did notice a direct correlation in the odor from Loki (foster Rottie) and the food he was on (TOTW). Just something to think about.
Hang in there...welcome to ROL, and good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, working on NILIF from this morning, will see how it goes. Thanks for the welcome, despite the challenges he is a sweet dog, love
the breed!!!

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Purina is crap food - that may have a direct correlation to the body odor...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Choices on the island are limited, we have a local dry food manufacturer but vets say the quality is not the best, we have beneful, pedigree and not much else. We have a groomer coming this morning and a visit to vet next week, will see how that goes as well. Thanks for your contribution.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
It is unfortunate that you don't have much of a choice of food. Go to our nutrition forum, and read the stickie on how to evaluate kibble, then do a comparison between Purina and Pedigree, go with the one that is better - even if the difference is minimal. I would supplement with some raw or home cooked food to improve the quality of what he is eating. Google 'Lew Olson', and you will find her excellent suggestions on how to do this. She is a rottie owner and breeder, an AKC judge, and an animal nutritionist.

Your dog needs more training than what he has been given up to now. He is behaving the way he does because he has been allowed to - and he truly doesn't understand what you expect of him. That is due to not enough training. You have been given good suggestions, but you must be very vigilant, patient, positive and consistent. NILIF is excellent. Just be vigilant, patient, positive and consistent. (Do you see a theme here? LOL!) He has taken over because you were not fulfilling the role of a pack leader, but you can become the leader, and your dog will be happier for it. It is not too late for you to turn this around. Keep on using the treats until he is consistent with his responses. When he obeys, you can quickly say 'yes!', pet him, and give him a treat. Once he is consistent, you can VERY gradually start eliminating the treats, but still say 'yes!' and pet him. The reward is now being transferred from the treat to the positive statement and the pet. At first, eliminate the treat occasionally, and he will also learn that he has to listen because he doesn't know any more when he will get a treat. Once you are comfortable with your training, make sure everyone else in the family is treating him the same way - your family is the pack, and he is the lowest member of the pack. Rottweilers are very smart, he will soon understand and do what is expected of him - just be vigilant, positive, patient and consistent!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts