Rottweilers Online Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi , new here

I have always had Labradors ive owned 4 over 20yrs and i still adore the breed but my last labrador Hugo was my soul dog he was everything to me and i lost him last year and am only just ready to start planning for my next dog but i can bring myself to have another lab and so am considering a Rottweiler but before i commit to the breed or even meet the breed i want to be certain i am right for a Rottweiler as i tend to listen to my heart more than my head and I'll fall in love with the breed even if there not for me so before i go ahead and meet them i wanted to get advice first.

I live alone and i do work full time 9-5pm , all my labs were happy with this , i would walk them in the moring ( i didn't have 4 at once i had my first and second as solo dogs third and fourth were together) before work them all were happy to be on there own for 4hrs when a dog walker came in and took them out for over an hour and then there on there own for a further 3hrs until im home and they had an evening walk as well.

I am lucky that im off 3 months in the year and always got a pup around that time and spent all 3 months working harding on bonding and training and socialization and then once i went back to work when the pup is 5 months i had a mix of help through my dog walker friend who would dog sit and a good doggy daycare until pup was old enough and well socialized enough to be walked for more than 1hr and then i dropped the doggy daycare and the dog walker took over.

All my labs were fine with this and all were happy but my labs ( for any american friends here my are showline or what you call english type) were showlines and i always picked the chilled out pup and its always worked but labs i feel are more laid back that Rottweilers when it comes to needing a "job". My labs all got plenty of mental stimulation but my impression is from books that Rottweilers need more and are not as easy going as labs.

I wanted to ask your opinion on if Rottweilers do need more than a lab?

I worry i may not be able to give a Rottweiler what he would need if they do need more than a labrador ect.

·
Super Moderator
1,432 Posts
Welcome to the forums! I think you would probably do well with a Rottweiler. Just make sure you pick a good breeder that knows their lines, and knows what pup to pick for you from the litter. Some Rottweiler pups are more laid back and easy going...and that would probably be a better choice for you. The one thing you have to remember is that they can be protective of their home, and of their person. Labs will usually love everyone....Rottweilers don't. You have to make sure that all the people that are going to be dealing with your pup/dog know him/her well...or they may not be able to get in the house to take it for a walk or let it out for a pee.

Also I think Rottweilers have about the same type of energy as Labs...but exercise and training are important. If you don't exercise their brains and their bodies...they will get into some sort of trouble, or make trouble.

Formal training classes are really important for this breed. I would say if you can do some sort of class (obedience, rally, agility, tracking,herding,etc.) for the first couple of years, and keep up some sort of training at home after that you will be fine. Sometimes owners slack off with training, and Rottweilers start not listening, and wanting to do their own thing that you may just not like.

They are a great breed, and very smart !!

·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your advice , most of what I've been reading makes rottweilers out to be a lot harder and challenging than labs which worried me by challenging I mean needing a proper job and that mental brain game toys was not enough and that they need tons more mental stimulation than labs

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi , new here

I have always had Labradors ive owned 4 over 20yrs and i still adore the breed but my last labrador Hugo was my soul dog he was everything to me and i lost him last year and am only just ready to start planning for my next dog but i can bring myself to have another lab and so am considering a Rottweiler but before i commit to the breed or even meet the breed i want to be certain i am right for a Rottweiler as i tend to listen to my heart more than my head and I'll fall in love with the breed even if there not for me so before i go ahead and meet them i wanted to get advice first.

I live alone and i do work full time 9-5pm , all my labs were happy with this , i would walk them in the moring ( i didn't have 4 at once i had my first and second as solo dogs third and fourth were together) before work them all were happy to be on there own for 4hrs when a dog walker came in and took them out for over an hour and then there on there own for a further 3hrs until im home and they had an evening walk as well.

I am lucky that im off 3 months in the year and always got a pup around that time and spent all 3 months working harding on bonding and training and socialization and then once i went back to work when the pup is 5 months i had a mix of help through my dog walker friend who would dog sit and a good doggy daycare until pup was old enough and well socialized enough to be walked for more than 1hr and then i dropped the doggy daycare and the dog walker took over.

All my labs were fine with this and all were happy but my labs ( for any american friends here my are showline or what you call english type) were showlines and i always picked the chilled out pup and its always worked but labs i feel are more laid back that Rottweilers when it comes to needing a "job". My labs all got plenty of mental stimulation but my impression is from books that Rottweilers need more and are not as easy going as labs.

I wanted to ask your opinion on if Rottweilers do need more than a lab?

I worry i may not be able to give a Rottweiler what he would need if they do need more than a labrador ect.
Good advice from BBD
Yes they need alot of mental and physical stimulation, especially while young. All my dogs in past including my current, can be exercised all day long, but if they were/are not mentally challenged daily also, or i was slightly late walking them off schedule, they could start acting up. Alot of the time mine (especially while young) have done things like take things they knew they werent supposed to have and would stare at us holding the object very gently in the mouth not wanting to break whatever it was, but to get us up and turn our attention to them (just one example) just to get some training or taken out. I would get up, they would drop the object, i would put it out of reach but as soon as my bum touched However this almost never happened when they had what they required interms of stimuli. Also they can be hard work from around 7months to 2yrs ish. Sadly alot are given up to shelters etc at this age, in the uk anyway. Seems to be where the novelty of a puppy wears off and people havent got the patience or time to guide them through the teen phase, or simply werent geared up for a working breed.

All in all they are great dogs, can be very loving especially with their family and are super clever. They keep you on your toes and love to be with you always. Im sure others will have more to say but thats a very quick sumary from me. Best of luck and im sorry for your loss

·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
or i was slightly late walking them off schedule, they could start acting up.
This part of your reply I found very interesting as this is very different to labs, if I was late walking mine in the evening which was often due to bad traffic getting home or the dog walker was late my labs did not act up , all my labs were fine if we were late. I don't like the idea of a dog who might not be happy if I'm late like above so something to think of. I'm trying to decide on either waiting until I am happy to open my heart to another lab or go for a rottweiler , I hate being without a dog but I also need to be certain my decision is the right one

·
Registered
56 Posts
This part of your reply I found very interesting as this is very different to labs, if I was late walking mine in the evening which was often due to bad traffic getting home or the dog walker was late my labs did not act up , all my labs were fine if we were late. I don't like the idea of a dog who might not be happy if I'm late like above so something to think of. I'm trying to decide on either waiting until I am happy to open my heart to another lab or go for a rottweiler , I hate being without a dog but I also need to be certain my decision is the right one
Its just my experience and every dog/line is different. Mine have always been ADRK or working titled dogs, so have more energy and drive. As mentioned, this was in puppy hood/adolesence not fully matured. Once matured, any breed with sufficient training should know the house rules and its dos and donts. Im not trying to put you off at all and as bbd said with your extensive knowledge of a larger, working breed you should be fine. They are there own breed like any breed so you just have to adapt. It would be the same if you got a Shitzu, they all have different gentic traits and breed purposes. If you meet them and like them and like the breed, go for it. See it as something new, positive and fun trying something different and to work with

·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I misunderstood I thought you were saying even when matured and trained they still act up. So once there matured and well trained there like labs then fine to wait for there walk?

·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'd also like to ask how true is it that Rottweilers are naturally protective I keep reading that they will protect there owner when needed?

I ask as my last lab was protective too which was shock as I didn't expect him to be but when I got attacked while walking him he protected me. So how true is this with a Rottweiler

·
Registered
56 Posts
I misunderstood I thought you were saying even when matured and trained they still act up. So once there matured and well trained there like labs then fine to wait for there walk?
Like with any breed and especially with rotties, you get out what you put in. They need consitant excersise (adjust to age) obedience (advanced from a working breed trainer preferably) and preferably some sort of job, hence why im sure bbd mentioned the tracking/agility etc They are very clever and need there mind worked. Show lines tend to be ON AVERAGE a bit calmer and lower work drive than the working lines. With the walking part its just an example of testing behaviour that can be shown. Not all Rottweilers will do this, its just can be a bit more common with rotties and thats where the training classes, home obedience and excersise will help.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'd also like to ask how true is it that Rottweilers are naturally protective I keep reading that they will protect there owner when needed?

I ask as my last lab was protective too which was shock as I didn't expect him to be but when I got attacked while walking him he protected me. So how true is this with a Rottweiler
Yes they are naturally quite protective of family and territory such as house/car etc but you could get one that isnt. They dont need this exaggerated in any sense as it will cause more issues for you and the dog. Love the dog and mould it into what you want it to be. As long as your prepared to put in the work consistantly throughout its life, they will be a fanastic loving family dog

·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Like with any breed and especially with rotties, you get out what you put in. They need consitant excersise (adjust to age) obedience (advanced from a working breed trainer preferably) and preferably some sort of job, hence why im sure bbd mentioned the tracking/agility etc They are very clever and need there mind worked. Show lines tend to be ON AVERAGE a bit calmer and lower work drive than the working lines. With the walking part its just an example of testing behaviour that can be shown. Not all Rottweilers will do this, its just can be a bit more common with rotties and thats where the training classes, home obedience and exercise will help.

This is what I was worried about with the job bit what if I don't want to do agility or tracking?

I've never done it with any of my labs they were happy with just brain games and me playing with them. All of mine were showlines.

Would I need to do something like agility or tracking to make a Rottie happy?

·
Super Moderator
1,432 Posts
This is what I was worried about with the job bit what if I don't want to do agility or tracking?

I've never done it with any of my labs they were happy with just brain games and me playing with them. All of mine were showlines.

Would I need to do something like agility or tracking to make a Rottie happy?
No...you don't have to do agility or tracking....but if you try...you may have some fun!! you can teach tracking on your own...and teach your dog to find human scent and to follow it. Labs will chase a ball and retrieve till they drop...most Rottweilers will chase and retrieve a ball 3 times...and let you know they need something more challenging to do. You could rig up a harness and have the dog pull a sled, or a cart....you could teach the dog to pick-up your newspaper and carry it into the house. You could teach your dog to find someone that is hiding (my grandkids LOVED this game with our Rotts).

One thing that I would caution you about Rottweilers, they can be same sex aggressive. They are NOT like Labs that way. Labs most often get along with other friendly dogs...Rotts can be pickier with who they like...and most often do best meeting opposite sex dogs. My female Rott Jemma did well with most male dogs (of all breeds)...though she did not like hyper/bouncy in your face dogs.

Rotts are a protective breed by nature. They can be suspicious of strangers...and put themselves in front of you when they are not sure of someone.
Is there a Rottweiler rescue in your area?? A good idea may be to volunteer to foster a Rottweiler. Some people end up adopting the dog they are fostering (called a foster fail..lol). It may give you a better idea of what the breed is like in general.

·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Good idea I'll contact the breed club to find out about nearest rescue.

I know you said there same sex aggressive but what about if there brought up from a pup around another male?

Next door has a Golden retriever boy who is really chilled and gets on well with other boys and i was going to introduce my Rottie to him when hes young ( after his vaccinations) i often have next door round as i get on really well with them have done for years. Could a Rottie boy get on with another boy who they meet from a young age?

Also good ideas with finding someone ect.

Do they need this job like tracking ect everyday?

That may seem like a silly question but ive never done anything like that with my labs so dont know much about it and when i say everyday i mean things like tracking i knkw dogs need mental stimulation everyday but do rotties need advanced mental stimulation like tracking or agility ect everyday or some days can brain games or brain toys be enough?

·
Registered
663 Posts
We have had ten Rottweilers over the years. We have had ones that didn't require as much mental stimulation and were quite calm and patient with us when we were working too hard and didn't have as much time to spend with them as we liked (but took them to work with us, so they saw us anyway 24-7). Now we have two. One fits Dj86's description. He's a hoot when he picks up something in his mouth and holds it in front of you, like "look what I have." But it's not so fun when he tears up the bills before they are paid and you have to sort the bits of paper out to figure out what you owe who. That's the boy who stays in my husband's office most of the time. The girl is obnoxious and funny when she thinks she is guarding or she's herding the boy around. "Dad says do this!!!" or "Here, let me show you the door" as she's standing behind an employee growling who has no idea she's herding them. (Initially they didn't know, now they know and it's funny to them.) But she is more laid back and I get her in my office most days and she sleeps a lot and just hangs out, happy to be there, not too needy. However, we have them with us 24-7 too, so I think that scenario would be different if we weren't. We did adopt one Rottie years ago that was in the pound because she made a lot of noise, dug and was totally obnoxious to her owners because she got no attention in her backyard. For many Rotties, even negative attention is better than no attention at all. I really don't think a Rottie is the dog for you if you can't spend a lot of time with them.

·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We have had ten Rottweilers over the years. We have had ones that didn't require as much mental stimulation and were quite calm and patient with us when we were working too hard and didn't have as much time to spend with them as we liked (but took them to work with us, so they saw us anyway 24-7). Now we have two. One fits Dj86's description. He's a hoot when he picks up something in his mouth and holds it in front of you, like "look what I have." But it's not so fun when he tears up the bills before they are paid and you have to sort the bits of paper out to figure out what you owe who. That's the boy who stays in my husband's office most of the time. The girl is obnoxious and funny when she thinks she is guarding or she's herding the boy around. "Dad says do this!!!" or "Here, let me show you the door" as she's standing behind an employee growling who has no idea she's herding them. (Initially they didn't know, now they know and it's funny to them.) But she is more laid back and I get her in my office most days and she sleeps a lot and just hangs out, happy to be there, not too needy. However, we have them with us 24-7 too, so I think that scenario would be different if we weren't. We did adopt one Rottie years ago that was in the pound because she made a lot of noise, dug and was totally obnoxious to her owners because she got no attention in her backyard. For many Rotties, even negative attention is better than no attention at all. I really don't think a Rottie is the dog for you if you can't spend a lot of time with them.
This was a bit of a surprise as everyone else seemed to think they would suit me and i was even looking into tracking and other things i can do with my own rottie.

I will be spending every moment of my time with my rottie when im home and every day i have off will be planned around my rottie.

Im curious why you don't think it will work with a rottie but it worked with a lab?

·
Super Moderator
1,432 Posts
I don't think Rottweilers need any more attention then Labs do. Both breeds love their people....but are fine on their own during the day...as long as the are exercised. The young dogs...both Labs and Rottweilers will get into trouble...chewing, digging , etc. if bored. I have been boarding dogs for the last 25 years, and both Labradors and Goldens are very popular in our area ( a few minutes from Georgian Bay/Lake Huron) . I have come to know the Labrador breed quite well through the years. I have even volunteered fostering for Lab Rescue. Yes, Labs are challenging for the first couple of years...same as Rottweilers. They both need jobs to do!

Most people don't have the luxury of taking their dogs to work each day...and thousands of dogs stay home and do well.

·
Registered
663 Posts
To Labs4evre:
Your expectations are for a lab and they are not like Rotts. Rotts can get very protective and are way more high energy overall. It's so different. We had a lab/shep/husky mix and that dog was great, very smart, loved him to death, but he was so different. Not as demanding of our time. More laid back. I love Rottweilers but I think the reason so many are in the pound is because people aren't prepared for the quirks in their personality that can be misinterpreted. The herding, the demanding personality, the protectiveness, it's just a notch over what most expect.

Just your name Labs4ever says it too. Really? You come to a Rottweiler chat room with that name? I think you need to just get another lab. Sorry... I disagree with everyone else I guess... but I'm always honest and I don't think Rotts are for everyone. Once you have a breed that you've embraced your expectations have been sort of cemented into that, and a Rottie will never be like a Lab. You need to be a more vigilant owner, expect more aggression and be able to deal with it constructively... you have to be a brave owner too, be able to discipline them when they are raging hot for something they shouldn't be. That is one thing that is 100% different. When dogs get upset and you have to step in, I don't know of a scarier face than a Rott when they are in full-blown defensive posture. If you are brave, maybe a Rott is for you... it's just different... it's just more...you have to be very confident and strong willed to be able to exert your authority.

Some are easier and laid back, some can be as challenging as it can possibly be. You might get one that is easier to handle. We have adopted most of ours and they all came with behavioral quirks... I think it's different when you get a puppy, so maybe I'm wrong. My first two were puppies... one was a dream girl and the other was quite challenging though. We got used to his growling at us a lot... and his challenging us....his personality was really tough. Every dog is different, but Rotts require more of an owner.

·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I don't think Rottweilers need any more attention then Labs do. Both breeds love their people....but are fine on their own during the day...as long as the are exercised. The young dogs...both Labs and Rottweilers will get into trouble...chewing, digging , etc. if bored. I have been boarding dogs for the last 25 years, and both Labradors and Goldens are very popular in our area ( a few minutes from Georgian Bay/Lake Huron) . I have come to know the Labrador breed quite well through the years. I have even volunteered fostering for Lab Rescue. Yes, Labs are challenging for the first couple of years...same as Rottweilers. They both need jobs to do!

Most people don't have the luxury of taking their dogs to work each day...and thousands of dogs stay home and do well.
Thanks, i really like that rotties are similar to labs in some ways. And just because i didn't do things like tracking with my labs doesnt mean i cant start with a rottie.
Doing tracking ect on my days off with him should work really well and then when hes waiting at home i can give him plenty of brain games

·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
To Labs4evre:
Your expectations are for a lab and they are not like Rotts. Rotts can get very protective and are way more high energy overall. It's so different. We had a lab/shep/husky mix and that dog was great, very smart, loved him to death, but he was so different. Not as demanding of our time. More laid back. I love Rottweilers but I think the reason so many are in the pound is because people aren't prepared for the quirks in their personality that can be misinterpreted. The herding, the demanding personality, the protectiveness, it's just a notch over what most expect.

Just your name Labs4ever says it too. Really? You come to a Rottweiler chat room with that name? I think you need to just get another lab. Sorry... I disagree with everyone else I guess... but I'm always honest and I don't think Rotts are for everyone. Once you have a breed that you've embraced your expectations have been sort of cemented into that, and a Rottie will never be like a Lab. You need to be a more vigilant owner, expect more aggression and be able to deal with it constructively... you have to be a brave owner too, be able to discipline them when they are raging hot for something they shouldn't be. That is one thing that is 100% different. When dogs get upset and you have to step in, I don't know of a scarier face than a Rott when they are in full-blown defensive posture. If you are brave, maybe a Rott is for you... it's just different... it's just more...you have to be very confident and strong willed to be able to exert your authority.

Some are easier and laid back, some can be as challenging as it can possibly be. You might get one that is easier to handle. We have adopted most of ours and they all came with behavioral quirks... I think it's different when you get a puppy, so maybe I'm wrong. My first two were puppies... one was a dream girl and the other was quite challenging though. We got used to his growling at us a lot... and his challenging us....his personality was really tough. Every dog is different, but Rotts require more of an owner.
Firstly i dont know why my name is an issue , yes i know its a Rottweiler forum but all ive had is labs and i will get another lab in the future but i just cant have another right now.

I am fully aware of there protectiveness and there herding background. I will be getting a puppy not a rescue and i have no expectations when it comes to the rottie as ive never had one and i know they are not like labradors but they do have similarities and everything ive been told here and read elsewhere says there engergy level is similar toa lab.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts