Rottweilers Online Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,247 Posts
Oh...geez! Very sad story. Those are nasty bites. Honestly, if I had a dog that bit someone doing that kind of damage....it would be put to sleep. We have owned Rottweilers for almost 25 years...and agreed at the very first Rottweiler...that if one bit someone (unless someone was breaking into our home, or threatening us)...it would be euthanized. I could not live with myself for having a trigger happy dog...too much worry and responsibility. Now have I had Rottweilers that could bite someone ??? Yes....but I have never set them up to fail, or put them in a situation where they might.

Clearly the woman that got bit knew the dog...and the dog knew her. Unless she was beating the crap out of the dog...the dog was probably frightened and bit her. Fear aggression is nasty...I have a dog boarding right now with it...luckily he only weighs 20 lbs and I can manage him.

Living in an apartment, it would be hard to avoid running into this dog also.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Sometimes, too, there are certain breeds of dogs that should never be crossed because the pups stand to inherit the worst of both breeds instead of the best.

Many years ago, I was discussing a pup at obedience class, with my vet. It was a Rottweiler/Pit Bull cross. There was nobody home in those eyes; I have never seen such a blank set of eyes on a dog. The woman tried and tried with the pup but it ended up the pup became growly with the other pups and would not even respond to the person instructing the class.

There were a lot of tears the evening the trainers permanently dismissed that pup - and also forewarned the owner what she may have to do if the pup didn’t come around

After relating all this to my vet, she made the comment that a Rottweiler/Pit Bull cross was the absolute worst as, for some reason, the pups seemed to be the worst of everything in both breeds.

Makes me wonder about this poor German Shepard/Rottweiler cross:(

·
Super Moderator
1,247 Posts
I believe Agis is a Rottweiler/Shepherd mix??? I'm sure Agis will grow up to be a great dog...because he has owner's that care, and are involved in training.

I've fostered in my younger days...a few Rott/Shep mixes...all were fine dogs, that were adopted and much loved. They did not have a screw loose...but the rescue I fostered for would really screen the dogs well before being pulled from a shelter or brought into the rescue. There were so many nice dogs...there was no reason to take a crazy dog with aggression issues. If we could save 5 nice dogs that we knew with a bit of work could be adopted quickly...there was no reason to save a disturbed dog with aggression problems that could take months of work, or maybe never be a normal adoptable dog.

I do agree...that some mixes or crosses, really do make bad combos. Pitts can be dog aggressive and Rotts also dog aggressive...and you get a mix, that goes after other dogs!! Not good!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, Agis is a Shepherd/Rottie cross.

Honestly - even waving your hands in a dog's face...yes, it's rude, but it's not grounds for a bite and I would not tolerate that. I would euth as well.
I have a very low tolerance for human aggression.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Although i agree any dog that bites should be put to sleep i dont agree with the mix breed ideas...ive had Rotties for obly ten years but i did have two rottie crosses when i was younger. Both were beautiful dogs one lab cross the other GSD cross... i dont believe any dog is born bad it is environment and lack of training that dictates the dogs personality.

https://www.change.org/Deednotbreed

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's not just environment and training...humans breed dogs for specific purposes, that is to a certain amount innate regardless of nurture. Border Collies will herd, for example, and if living in a home and not given a proper outlet, will nip/herd people/kids in that home. Because that's their genes.

Environment and training is part of it, but so is breed/genetics.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Good reply Agis and although i agree that inherit traits in a digs breeding will always be there i dont agree aggression is an inherited trait.
The APDT (Ian Dunbar is on the board of most of the world dog training and behaviourist societies) like myself refute that any idea that a dogs traits are inatley aggressive. A dog may be a hunting dog but that still doesnt make it aggressive. No pup is born aggressive it is a learnt behaviour... my Rotties used to heard my kids until trained not to so i understand your point of view....

·
Super Moderator
1,247 Posts
I agree! Breed/genetics makes a big difference. That's why certain breeds appeal to us. Rottweilers are genetically programmed to guard and be protective. If they are not trained and socialized properly, they can take it over the top. If they are left to protect some junk yard, or tied up on a chain in a backyard...they will do what their genes and environment dictates. If the same dogs lived in a loving home with strict training...they could live a great life without ever attacking or biting anyone.

Hounds sniff, collies herd, retrievers retrieve, Rottweilers protect,etc....you can't take that out of the breed. Not sure where "it's all in how they were raised" BS got started????

·
Registered
10 Posts
Raised or dragged?
If you raise a child they should hopefully go on to be successful and well rounded, balanced adults. If dragged up they will tend to be more aggressive/dominatingly assertive and prone to make the wrong decisions ... is it not the same with dogs?
Children are not born bad yet mankind is the most aggressive animal on the planet...
Again, im not saying im right its just my view of dogs and how I raise them...

·
Super Moderator
1,247 Posts
Again....not always true!! Someone can have 5 children..all raised the same way...and one turns out bad, or turns to drugs, jail, etc. Does that one child maybe have a personality (genetics), that can make a child that was raised right...go the wrong way???

You are right, dogs are not born aggressive...but some have it in their genetics to be stronger in aggression, or be more fearful, or more dominant, etc. I fostered many Rottweilers coming out of shelters...very little background. Some came out of the shelters like black/tan Goldens...loved everyone, happy friendly,etc. That is not the breed standard. My Jemma came from Yugoslavian lines on her dams side...dogs titled in IPG, sire's side was more easy going. She was raised right...socialized, into classes from 11 weeks of age for many years, etc. She was still a suspicious, and protective dog. She was great with our own family, and a few close friends...but that was about it. This is where genetics come out. You can't train out, or love out genetics.

Reactions: Agis

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A dog like a KNPV Dutch Shepherd, for instance, is going to be sharp, have fight drive (or high prey drive) and in general be a good candidate for a protective or suspicious dog. It's their breeding, it's what people want out of their dogs.

Dogs like that excel at dog sport, law enforcement - because they've been bred to be more aggressive. A Golden Retriever? Not so much.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
To add a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nR8mHHbD2RM

A Golden Retriever would not do this. Neither would my beagle (and he's a jerk).

I had a German Shepherd (rescue) I did threat training with. She was inherently protective and had enough inherent aggression that she excelled at it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts