Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am stuck between 2 breeds German shepherd and Rottweiler and am asking on breed forums for both in hope you can help me with my decision as I've been to many shows and just can't pick between the 2 so I'm wanting to know if a few things I've been told about the 2 is true.

I was told by a breeder who has both that Rotties on average are more laid back and get compared to GSD's and that Shepherds have more energy? And she said they are softer than GSD's in that they are more soppy and playful than GSD's.

she also said Rotties are silent guards compared to GSD's who tend to bark more. She said GSD's can be more serious.

She's also found Rotties to be more stubborn than GSD's but found them more willing to ease their owner when they get it.

Id really love to know if any of this is true or if anyone has had both and can tell me the differences between the 2.

And this won't be my first dog I've had Golden retrievers and a Bernese mountain dog but always admired these 2 breeds.

My dad has always had Rotties so I have more experience around them.

·
Super Moderator
1,900 Posts
Welcome to the forums!! As you can see...there are pro and cons for each breed. I have never owned a GS....but owned and ran a small boarding kennel for many years and have dealt with many GS. I have owned Rottweilers for about 30 years. I do like a well bred GS...and have taken care of a few I would have loved to have owned and had them in my life. They were smart and gentle and lovely dogs. Most of the ones I dealt with were more nervy and high strung and generally not as easy to live with as a Rottweiler. GS bark first and investigate later.....where as a Rottie will usually only bark if there really is something going on.

Rottweilers are more layed back and easy going. Both breeds are smart and learn quickly....but do need serious training. I think Rottweilers are more pushy and if you don't show them that you are in charge....they may often think they are in charge...which is not a good thing.

Both breeds have their health problems....which makes it important for you to buy from a breeder that does all of the necessary health screening on their breeding dogs.
Both breeds need a job....such as learning how to track or herd sheep, or obedience, or agility, etc....they will find their own job to do which can be bad.

GS do have hair and shed a lot more than Rottweilers. Rotties do shed.....but not near as bad as a GS.

Also as with GS and Rotties...the lines have been divided into two. There are working lines and show lines. Find out what works better for you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Welcome to the forums!! As you can see...there are pro and cons for each breed. I have never owned a GS....but owned and ran a small boarding kennel for many years and have dealt with many GS. I have owned Rottweilers for about 30 years. I do like a well bred GS...and have taken care of a few I would have loved to have owned and had them in my life. They were smart and gentle and lovely dogs. Most of the ones I dealt with were more nervy and high strung and generally not as easy to live with as a Rottweiler. GS bark first and investigate later.....where as a Rottie will usually only bark if there really is something going on.

Rottweilers are more layed back and easy going. Both breeds are smart and learn quickly....but do need serious training. I think Rottweilers are more pushy and if you don't show them that you are in charge....they may often think they are in charge...which is not a good thing.

Both breeds have their health problems....which makes it important for you to buy from a breeder that does all of the necessary health screening on their breeding dogs.
Both breeds need a job....such as learning how to track or herd sheep, or obedience, or agility, etc....they will find their own job to do which can be bad.

GS do have hair and shed a lot more than Rottweilers. Rotties do shed.....but not near as bad as a GS.

Also as with GS and Rotties...the lines have been divided into two. There are working lines and show lines. Find out what works better for you.
Thank you for your reply , I did a bit of thinking about my personality and my lifestyle and I know a Rottie suits me better.

Thinking about it the reason I'm not committing to the Rottie is due to their size I know male Rotties can get to 54kg and I'm not sure if I can handle a dog that size how do you all here handle a Rottie that's so big? I suppose it's down to how well you train them on the leash.

As in not get pulled to the floor I'm thinking of when they pull out of the blue when a squirrel runs across the road ect.

All my dogs including my Bernese have been under 40kg so far and all boys so I have a preference for boys so when they pulled I could control them but a 36kg golden or 40kg berner is different to a 50 or 54kg rottie

Edit to add: my dad made a good point he said you have no issues controlling a 825kg shire horse so I think you'll be fine with a Rottie

·
Super Moderator
1,900 Posts
Yes!! Horse people are often Rottweiler people. :) You should have no problems controlling a male dog. You need to train, and make sure the dog listens to you. Do not give it too much freedom till you know the dog is trained well and listens with distractions and in different places. This is why formal training with this breed is important. Going to classes teaches you, and your dog to listen in all sorts of places with all sorts of distractions. 2 years of some sort of classes and you will end up with a well trained dog that listens. You teach the "leave it " command early when a young puppy. The most important thing is to buy from an ethical breeder that knows their dogs....and you can meet their dogs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes!! Horse people are often Rottweiler people. :) You should have no problems controlling a male dog. You need to train, and make sure the dog listens to you. Do not give it too much freedom till you know the dog is trained well and listens with distractions and in different places. This is why formal training with this breed is important. Going to classes teaches you, and your dog to listen in all sorts of places with all sorts of distractions. 2 years of some sort of classes and you will end up with a well trained dog that listens. You teach the "leave it " command early when a young puppy. The most important thing is to buy from an ethical breeder that knows their dogs....and you can meet their dogs.
One final thing I'd like to ask is my Dad has told me to get a Girl as I currently own a Male Bernese and he's still intact and dad said Rotties are same sex aggressive and that it's best not to take the risk and get a female rottie?

Are Rotties same sex aggressive?

·
Super Moderator
1,900 Posts
Yes!!! They can be same sex aggressive. A good ethical breeder will only sell you a female pup. I did at one time have two males and a female (all neutered and spayed)....but there was about 8 years of age between the two males. The one male was on his way out ( think he was about 9?) when we adopted a male rescue boy. We managed...but life was easier when the younger male died of kidney failure later on. How old is your Bernese? How do you plan on keeping your female Rottie from getting pregnant if you should decide to let her have a heat or two before spaying??

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He's 2 , 3 this year. I am lucky as my mom as well as other family members have said they would happily take him for a few weeks once my new pup is in season

·
Registered
2 Posts
I echo what most have said. Both breeds love their people, can be great family dogs, are smart, learn easily, need a job and will push you (if you let them). Grooming is about the same for both….shedding and lots of brushing. Someone did mention about health issues and I’ve found it to be somewhat comparable having had both breeds. I do prefer the Rotties because mine have had a “personality” that had made them funny and goofy. Agree also that they are “silent” protectors. I’ve taken mine to pet friendly places/hotels and they will lay right in front of the door. The right one will find you. Think you should go with personality from a breeder you’ve researchEd. Not much help, but an opinion. Good luck.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have had both breeds. One GSD and now on my second Rottie. Agree with just about everything said. My first Rottie and my second Rottie are totally different dogs. So painting any breed with the same brush and you may get surprised. Wonderful dogs each one. I have to say the GSD shed tons more than either Rottie. I have experienced same sex fighting. Not a good experience. Between the GSD and an Irish Wolfhound. Never again. What I have heard and partially saw with my own eyes is. Male dogs will fight for Being the Alpha. After that the loser submits. Female dogs fight out of jealousy and it never ends. Would be interested in hearing any comments about that.

Good Luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts