Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a male that’s 6 months old very good puppy but when it comes time to feed him he growls at everyone and anything that comes by his food with the exception of my female Rottweiler which is way old I rescued her I have Calmed him down a lot but still shows out any help would be great and the guy I got him from said his mom died giving birth if that helps thanks In advance

·
Super Moderator
1,549 Posts
This is not good!! :( You need to find help with a trainer that can help you with his food aggression. What have you been doing when he growls at people near his food?? The best thing to do is to allow him to eat in a safe place...most probably his crate, or a room that he can eat in peace without anything or anyone being near him. Do not leave an empty food bowl on the ground...take it up when his meal is done. Do not allow your female Rottie to be going by or near him when he is eating either. Start by making him do a 'sit/stay' away from where he eats. Then go put the bowl of food in a quiet place where he normally eats....then give him a release commands such as "O.K"...then let him eat in peace.

Is he possessive over other things such as toys, bones, dog beds, etc.?? Another thing is to hand feed him all of his meals....so he knows that only good things come from you when there is food around. Give us more info...and we may be able to guide you better.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When he growls at people I make him come away from his food and sit then I take a hand full of food and let him eat out of my hand and his does great and I have my wife do the same that is how we have been doing it when we got him I would say his food aggression was a 10 now I say it’s a 5 we put his food up off the ground so he could not stand over it and as soon as he is done eating we always pick his food up and i always try to keep m female away as with all other dogs and we feed him in his room we’re he sleeps

1 - 5 of 5 Posts