Rottweilers Online Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rott 1 rescue.jpg Rott 2 rescue.jpg

I saw countless animals being rescued on the news but I didn't see any Rotties being rescued from the flood. I found a couple online. That one in the crate looks just like my Bella! I could not imagine having to put her in a boat to escape floodwaters.

My heart bursts with gratitude of all the people who came from all corners of the US to rescue people and their pets and the shelters all over that took in animals who were rescued or to relieve overcrowding so our shelters could house the displaced pets.

I was so sad to hear that some of those rescuers even lost their own lives. 4 brothers from my own neighborhood were electrocuted in the flood waters when their boat came in contact with down power lines.

My surroundings are so surreal right now. There are helicopters flying over us all day and night.

We went grocery shopping at Kroger and instead of the usual constable for security their was a K-9 officer from Phoenix, AZ! He was a black lab and the sweetest thing.

We drive around to see which businesses made it. Who is in recovery mode and who closed their doors permanently.

One thing that stayed the same though - - ASTROS WINNING GAMES! ;)

·
Registered
651 Posts
Wow, look at the floodwaters behind the Rottie in the cage. Poor sweet things. I had heard of someone being electrocuted with a live wire that was underwater that they stepped on while trying to rescue, but I hadn't heard of four brothers in a boat being electrocuted. How devastating for the family!

A lot of stories coming from Texas right now, both good and bad. America is filled with compassionate people. I would expect no less, but it is wonderful to see and hear about the generosity.

I hope your state recovers quickly.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Steph,

Right now my prayers are directed to Florida. I know they get hit more often than we do but they are calling Irma the worst storm on record. Gives me an anxiety attack.

The Rottie in the cage was from Dickinson, TX where the hurricane actually hit. Where I live in Houston it rained like crazy for 5 days then Harvey hit as a tropical storm. It took 10-15 minutes for the water to get 24-30" deep in our street. We were very lucky to have good drainage. Some homes are still underwater to this day.

I saw one rescue group that takes in only Rottweilers and Pit Bulls. There are lots of dogs needing new homes or at least fostering right now. From California to Maine, animals from Texas are in the shelters waiting to go home with someone.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
there is a pic that made the rounds of a guy in a boat that was stuffed full of dogs that he had rescued. You see the true character of people in these situations. Some bad, but most good. Stay safe.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We watched a special on animals rescued from Harvey. Made me cry--especially the longhorn steer that was up to his shoulders in mud. The people showing out of nowhere up to help that couple save their pet was miraculous.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts