Rottweilers Online Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone

I have a question regarding allergies (at least i think its allergies)
My female has been having these issues for a few months now, mind you shes just over a year old.

Whats happening seems like an allergy trigger, but to what is the question i'm trying to figure out.
When it gets really bad her ears are inflamed, she's constantly scratching them and around her eye to the point of bleeding sometimes. she has this circular hair loss around her eyes when it happens as well so the bleeding and damage shes doing to herself is more evident.
The other issue is that her shedding is so excessive - i mean when i brush her i can probably make a hair toupee. Its really that bad!

Some background on what I've tried
- spoke to the Vet
- reached out to the breeder
- got her off of poultry and beef products, including no treats for a few months and was on a strict fish only diet
- moved her from dry food to raw food ( Pork, then tried Duck then a little bit of Kangaroo)
- did a DNA test using her hair sample - which quite frankly points that shes allergic to almost everything, including dogs

Another note i want to make is that we live in Canada and now temps are below zero so outside allergies can almost be ruled out unless shes allergic to snow and ice

Now she's on Royal Canin Breed Specific for Rotweiller's - Puppy one as shes just over a year.
But the shedding and scratching is just horrible.

I really hope someone can give me some direction here as i don't know what else to do

Thanks,
Elad

·
Super Moderator
1,258 Posts
So sorry to hear about your dog suffering with allergies. I've been lucky through the years to never have had a dog with allergies.
First thing I would do is see if you can get a referral to a dermatologist vet. Are you sure there are not mites,chiggers, etc?? Losing hair around the eyes could be mange? Young dogs immune systems often have a flair up of mange. Is your dog on any flea preventative??

Is there any vomiting or diarrhea? Does she eat well?? Is there a chance it could be what's inside your home? What do you wash her bedding with? Wash the floors with?
If I remember that Royal Canin Rottweiler specific food is nasty!! Full of corn, and by-products, and very little meat. It would not be a food that I would be feeding a dog that is itchy and uncomfortable. Have you tried any medications from the vet? Apoquel is one that is given for severe itching and scratching...to break the cycle.

If she were my dog, I would probably try her on a home cooked diet. Make sure it's nutritionally balanced and see if there are any changes. I think you are going to have to try to figure things out one thing at a time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Boy, having dealt with livestock herds what you describe sure sounds like mites (as big black dogs noted). And Yes if not on a flea and tic preventative it could well be. My last few Rottweilers have been on heartguard and nexgard year around and my last boy almost made it to 12 years old. I’m in north east Ohio, too many mild winter days lately and the pests all come out. I honestly don’t think it’s allergies. Your pup could have allergies... but again, especially the hair loss around the eyes is a tell tale sign of mites.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feed back.

With regards to mites, i forgot to mention that i did do a skin scrapping test, which came back negative for parasites. I asked the vet if that means mites in particular mange and they said yes it means she doesn't have mites.. so i'm hoping they are correct.

Would giving her the mites medication, regardless if she has them or not, be safe?

I looked into a referral to a dermatologist, but considering she also has hip dysplesia which im doing physio - i can't really afford going to dermatologist at this point

·
Registered
8 Posts
All of our pups have been on nexgard (flea and tic, mites) and heartgard year around their entire lives. There’s just too many pests out there to cause problems. Never a single parasite issue using these. Our last Rottweiler “Cutter” lived to almost 12. The previous 4 lived to be past 10. I feel that both parasite preventative meds are very safe in the ways that they are used and work in canines. As far as the scrape test, I’d question the accuracy. I’m no expert in that but when I was dealing with livestock fighting mites, from what you previously described... it sure sounds like it. Best of luck resolving this.

·
Super Moderator
1,258 Posts
Skin scraping does not always show up with mites. I've heard of dogs having multiple negative skin scrapes...and then eventually the mites showed up on a scrape later. Something like Revolution is used for mites...if you have something for mites..give it, it's worth a try.

I'm reading your other posts and it's sad to see that Nala also has extreme car sickness, as well as this constant itching and now you mention also hip dysplasia?? Have you notified your breeder? Was there any sort of guarantee that came with Nala? Maybe the breeder could kick in some money to help pay for some of her problems?? Have her hips been x-rayed? Sometimes as they mature and the muscles build up, their hip problems while not gone...do improve. Have you got her on some good supplements for HD?? Physio is something you can do at home for free. Walk her slowly up hills, walk her in the sand, do range of motion exercises with her, etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts