Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to this forum. We recently adopted a rottweiler/lab mix from the local humane society. She is 1 1/2 yr old and is very loveable - some of her behaviors indicate that she may have been mistreated as a puppy or by her last owner. She gets "spooked" very easily and will cower when I pick up a broom to sweep, or any other object. She loves people and will almost pull me down when she sees other people on our walks. At other times she will just kind of go "crazy" - meaning she will take off and run 30 yds, turn and run back full speed and repeat these 3 or 4 times then start chasing her tail really fast sometimes running into bushes or small trees. She is slowly getting used to living with a small cat and has not shown any aggression.

So I wonder if she will grow out of that fear she has (of being punished we think) thru maturation and love - and are the "crazy" behaviors just part of being a puppy?

Any ideas or insight would be appreciated

·
Super Moderator
1,811 Posts
Welcome to the forums!! Thank-you for adopting your dog....they often can be the best dogs ever. :) I think you are on the right track thinking that she just needs time and training and bonding with you. Don't assume that she may have been abused....it could just be lack of socialization when she was younger. The best thing for her is to build up her confidence. The way to do that would be to enroll into some obedience classes, then maybe a Rally class or agility, or tracking class. A formal class will help with her confidence and help with bonding to you. Start with training. I would not allow her to go meeting people on walks....she should be able to walk by people while on walks.

The running at full speed and going crazy are called "zoomies" or "puppy frapping"....all dogs do them. The older they get the less often they do it. It's just a fun way that they get their energy out, and a way to make you laugh, and smile.:)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts