Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. So we are feeding our 12 wk old raw as she was weaned onto it and our 2 year old bully is on raw as she has bad skin so can’t have certain things.I prefer kibble to raw and it’s not as expensive. Plus I don’t want raw food mouth mouthing my 1 year old Our pet shops sell breed specific and have Rottweiler puppy sacks of 17kg. What do you think of royal canin over raw? Any opinions? What do you feed your rotts? Just looking for opinions. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
140 Posts
We decided we didn't want to feed raw as it didn't suit. Mix of "Step up" tins of wet food from pets at home (now grain free) and Arden Grange large breed junior or AVA large breed puppy is what we went with - happy so far as is Vader.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was looking at Arden grange too, couldn’t decide between the two. I bought a 12 k royal canin puppy Rottweiler sack and 6 tins of natural puppy wet. Gonna add just a little wet with each to make it a little tastier. Hopefully she takes to it, if not after the sack comes half empty I’ll change to Arden and part n part swap over. Don’t see her having an issue actually though as she’s all over anything food wise. Vader is a name we had on our list for her, lol funny hey

·
Super Moderator
1,686 Posts
Raw is good....but raising a puppy on raw can be expensive and it must be done right. You only get once chance to grow out a puppy, and if the diet is not balanced nutritionally it can do lots of damage to a growing pup. Royal Canin is a grain based food. There is very little meat in this kibble. I would not feed it. The breed of dogs foods that it produces is just a gimmick. The quality of the ingredients are poor. I would look for a better quality food...that contains meat in at least the first 3 ingredients. I'm not familiar with the foods you have available in Great Britain.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Raw is good....but raising a puppy on raw can be expensive and it must be done right. You only get once chance to grow out a puppy, and if the diet is not balanced nutritionally it can do lots of damage to a growing pup. Royal Canin is a grain based food. There is very little meat in this kibble. I would not feed it. The breed of dogs foods that it produces is just a gimmick. The quality of the ingredients are poor. I would look for a better quality food...that contains meat in at least the first 3 ingredients. I'm not familiar with the foods you have available in Great Britain.
I thought Royal Canin was the best. Nope. Too expensive and not nutritionally as balanced as some of the others. Look for another puppy food

·
Super Moderator
1,686 Posts
I thought Royal Canin was the best. Nope. Too expensive and not nutritionally as balanced as some of the others. Look for another puppy food
It's the "best" at advertising. I wish they would improve their ingredients and the quality of their food. It's overpriced for the quality of the ingredients. Grains are cheap in comparison to meat. There is very little meat in Royal Canin food....the proteins come from grains.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was looking at new foods today and found this one, it’s the same price as royal canin but tailor made for tie dog. The meat content is way better. They change the ingredients as she grows and ages to suit her needs. What you you think of those ingredients?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I was looking at new foods today and found this one, it’s the same price as royal canin but tailor made for tie dog. The meat content is way better. They change the ingredients as she grows and ages to suit her needs. What you you think of those ingredients?
I vote YES !!!

·
Super Moderator
1,686 Posts
Looks like a good food! It's so good that the ingredients list shows the amount of meat there is in the food. This is not done in North America. Ingredients must be listed by weight...but that is not really useful because even if meat is the first ingredient it is often followed by so many grains or peas...and the grains are split...such as wheat, wheat middlings, corn, corn flour, rice, rice flour,etc. So it ends up there is mostly grains and very little meat in the food. I think foods should require a pie chart on each bag to show exactly how much meat. The only pet foods that I know that do it in Canada and the US is Champion foods...the makers of Orijen and Acana. Purina, Royal Canin, Iams, etc. have no such thing...and their foods contain very little meat.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Looks like a good food! It's so good that the ingredients list shows the amount of meat there is in the food. This is not done in North America. Ingredients must be listed by weight...but that is not really useful because even if meat is the first ingredient it is often followed by so many grains or peas...and the grains are split...such as wheat, wheat middlings, corn, corn flour, rice, rice flour,etc. So it ends up there is mostly grains and very little meat in the food. I think foods should require a pie chart on each bag to show exactly how much meat. The only pet foods that I know that do it in Canada and the US is Champion foods...the makers of Orijen and Acana. Purina, Royal Canin, Iams, etc. have no such thing...and their foods contain very little meat.
And like the commercial said, " It's mainly because of the meat ".

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looks good hey. And like I said the same price as I paid for RC. I think I’ll sign her up for that instead now. I want her as healthy as possible and growing correctly. On another note she is now trained to sit and wait next to the bowl while we prepare her food and she doesn’t get to have it until she gives eye contact for a few seconds and I say ok take and she devours it. So the possessiveness is starting to ease up over her food. So happy with her, she’s amazing. 😍

·
Registered
69 Posts
Looks good hey. And like I said the same price as I paid for RC. I think I’ll sign her up for that instead now. I want her as healthy as possible and growing correctly. On another note she is now trained to sit and wait next to the bowl while we prepare her food and she doesn’t get to have it until she gives eye contact for a few seconds and I say ok take and she devours it. So the possessiveness is starting to ease up over her food. So happy with her, she’s amazing. 😍
Great job. She's learning to be the best baby in your house.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Great job. She's learning to be the best baby in your house.
Definitely better behaved than my 15 month old daughter we nicknamed Chucky like the movie Chucky. She’s a demon. But rayna is amazing, I love her rottie rumble when you come in the room and she runs to you tail going crazy rumbling at you for petting ha ha

·
Registered
129 Posts
Definitely better behaved than my 15 month old daughter we nicknamed Chucky like the movie Chucky. She’s a demon. But rayna is amazing, I love her rottie rumble when you come in the room and she runs to you tail going crazy rumbling at you for petting ha ha
Not being negative, but beware of where it says "meat meal" thats a processed type of meat, not pure meat. Its another trick of selling a product thats low in actual meat. Each to their own and if your happy then great. You can also get complete raw balanced out and minced, you just have to throw it in a bowl. I live in the uk so if you wanted any advice on raw let me know. Green pantry i use on side as a dry food. Its wheat and maize free. Ive attached a pic of the composition
Font Screenshot Parallel Number Document

1 - 17 of 17 Posts