Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Little background, all of the Rottis my family has owned have been trained by my parents, our last rot Bubba came into the family when i was only 13, so I wasnt mature enough to take a real interest in helping with the training. I'm 24 now and we have a new edition to the family so I'd like to take a more active role in the training.

My first question is, now knowing about the hip problems/arthritis that rots are prone to, is running good for them?

Rusty LOVES to run, which I think is great, but can running and exercise of that
caliber help guard against arthritis and hip problems in the future? or
is running actually bad for him? that might seem like a stupid question but its something i'm concerned about.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Just make sure you don't over do anything with your puppy.Let him be a puppy but just don't go over board.

Are both his parents OFA'd? that would be a good start as to not have HD.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
OFA is something that tells if the parents hips have been checked. Usually a breeder can and will tell you if the parents hips were done or not. They also do elbows. You can't really check a dog untill they are 2 years old and it just consists of x-rays.

It is fine to let a pup run but don't over do it. Their bones are still growing. MANY Rottweilers are perfectly fine in the hips. I think they are more prone to blow out a ACL.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Donna ... you are way too fast for me. You were not here when I started typing. I get done and you have a whole answer already LOL

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Sorry Andy

Who was the breeder of your new puppy?Does the puppy have AKC papers?

If so you can pm me the names and AKC numbers of the parents and your puppy and I can see if I can find anything on them.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Ok I just checked out Pawvillage and looked up the Sire of one of my dogs and it says deceased in 1989? Am I maybe lookin up the wrong dog? It says the sire on my certified pedigree is Igor Von ALT-MENGENICH and thats exactly what pulled up on pawvillage.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Yea he was born in 89.

Is your dog on there too?

All of mine are and I have added some dogs for people here too.

I have so far added 19,282 dogs to the data base.13,620 of them being Rottweilers.I love that place,It helped me get rid of alot of paper work.I have been collecting pedigrees for ever.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts