2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  PAGreatDog 
#1 ·
**PERMISSION TO CROSSPOST!!!**</span></span>

September 3, 2009

SC dog law passes first reading</span>

By Esther Hupp
For the Charleston Gazette

http://sundaygazettemail.com/News/200909031006

SOUTH CHARLESTON, W.Va. -- South Charleston City Council introduced an ordinance Thursday night regarding the regulation of dangerous dogs in city limits</span></span>.

According to Mayor Frank Mullens, the ordinance has been a work in progress since the beginning of his term and will
let city residents know where dangerous dogs live and who own them. The
ordinance includes strict guidelines for owners of pit bulls, Rottweilers</span></span> and Presa Canarios, and heavy fines if owners do not comply.</span>

If passed, the ordinance will require all dog owners of these breeds to obtain a permit from the city. The city, in turn, will issue a red tag that must be worn on the dog's collar</span> to identify it as a dangerous dog</span></span>.</span>

The city modeled the ordinance after laws in other cities around the country, Mullens said. The breeds listed are targeted because of their aggressive and dominant nature</span>.</span>

"I'm a dog lover,"</span></span> Mullens said. "I'm not doing this to ban any breeds, but common sense tells you that there are certain breeds that have a vicious streak</span>. I've never seen a story about a collie, poodle or Sheltie killing somebody."</span></span>

Failure
to register a pit bull, Rottweiler, or Presa Canario can result in a
fine of $500 for every day the owner does not comply with the ordinance.</span></span>

In addition to the red tags, dogs classified as dangerous in the ordinance must be kept in an enclosure</span></span>. When taken out of the enclosure, the ordinance states that these dogs must wear a muzzle and be kept on a leash no longer than 6 feet</span>.</span>

Owners of registered dangerous dogs will also be required to post a sign with the words "Beware of Dog,"</span></span> obtain $100,000 worth of liability insurance, and pay to have a microchip implanted into the dog by a veterinarian.

If the ordinance is passed</span>,</span> owners of the dogs listed will have 60 days to obtain their permit from the city or risk paying fines. Any person wishing to buy a dog of the types listed must obtain the permit before purchasing the dog</span>.</span>

"The
control of animals in our city is the responsibility of the owners, and
the owners need to be held responsible," Councilman Ben Paul said.
"It's long past due."

The ordinance passed the first reading, and is set for a second reading and public hearing at the next council meeting on September 17</span></span>.

SHALL WE *POLITELY* EDUCATE THESE FOLKS.........?</span></span>

The ARC Paws4Laws may still have some helpful templates for this purpose:

http://legislation.americanrottweilerclub.org/

MAYOR FRANK MULLINS</span>
scmayor@cityofsouthcharleston.com

CITY COUNCIL:</span>
http://cityofsouthcharleston.com/citycouncil.php

ONLY *ONE* WITH EMAIL: <<HELLLLLLLLLLLO! Welcome to the TWENTY-FIRST CENTURY!!!>></span></span>

Mr. Jeff Means
Email: jameans@suddenlink.net

See less See more
#4 ·
The reason this person has "...never seen a story about a collie, poodle or Sheltie </span></span>killing somebody</span></span>..." </span>is because people do not report attacks or bites by these breeds. They are also not typically powerful or large enough to do kill. The most common bite to owners and others is by cocker spaniels. People need to educate themselves before making ordinances such as this one. What I think needs to happen is people need a permit before buying a dog and should also have taken at least one class on the proper care of animals (possibly pet specific classes). It is the fact that people are uneducated about our breed that gets these people into trouble. In the past year Switzerland<!--

var SymRealOnLoad;
var SymReal;
Sym()
{
window.open = SymWinOpen;
if(SymReal != null)
SymReal();
}

SymOnLoad()
{
if(SymRealOnLoad != null)
SymRealOnLoad();
window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
if (SymReal == null)
{
SymReal = window.;
window. = Sym;
}
}

SymInitWinOnload()
{
if ( SymRealOnLoad == null )
SymRealOnLoad = window.onload;
return SymOnLoad;
}

window.onload = SymInitWinOnload();

//--> passed a law stating that people were required to take a class on the proper care and training of pets. This includes if you want a goldfish! I think if we use this as a model we would have less animals in shelters and less incidents of bites. People that are deemed unfit to properly care for a pet should not be allowed to have one, let alone a powerful breed like rottweilers or the American staffordshire terrier (so-called pit bull). The other problem I see with the ordinance is the fact that most cannot tell what the targeted breeds are. There are over 30 dog breeds that people get confused with the Am Staff. With this confusion how can the law be enforced?

#5 ·
l......</span></span>The
ordinance includes strict guidelines for owners of pit bulls, Rottweilers</span></span> and Presa Canarios, and heavy fines if owners do not comply.</span>

If passed, the ordinance will require all dog owners of these breeds to obtain a permit from the city. The city, in turn, will issue a red tag that must be worn on the dog's collar</span> to identify it as a dangerous dog</span></span>.</span>

The city modeled the ordinance after laws in other cities around the country, Mullens said. The breeds listed are targeted because of their aggressive and dominant nature</span>.</span>

*****This is the first that I have heard of a city requiring certain breeds to wear a tag that says they are a dangerous dog.

"I'm a dog lover,"</span></span> Mullens said. "I'm not doing this to ban any breeds, but common sense tells you that there are certain breeds that have a vicious streak</span>. I've never seen a story about a collie, poodle or Sheltie killing somebody."</span></span>

*****This is not 'common' sense, this is prejudice, gossip and superstition.
In addition to the red tags, dogs classified as dangerous in the ordinance must be kept in an enclosure</span></span>. When taken out of the enclosure, the ordinance states that these dogs must wear a muzzle and be kept on a leash no longer than 6 feet</span>.</span>

Owners of registered dangerous dogs will also be required to post a sign with the words "Beware of Dog,"</span></span> obtain $100,000 worth of liability insurance, and pay to have a microchip implanted into the dog by a veterinarian.

****And they won't see a decline in dog related accidents even if they are able to pass all this stupid legislation.

If the ordinance is passed</span>,</span> owners of the dogs listed will have 60 days to obtain their permit from the city or risk paying fines. Any person wishing to buy a dog of the types listed must obtain the permit before purchasing the dog</span>.</span>

"The
control of animals in our city is the responsibility of the owners, and
the owners need to be held responsible," Councilman Ben Paul said.
"It's long past due."

****I agree that owners need to be held responsible, but these laws really aren't doing that

The ordinance passed the first reading, and is set for a second reading and public hearing at the next council meeting on September 17</span></span>.

SHALL WE *POLITELY* EDUCATE THESE FOLKS.........?</span></span>

The ARC Paws4Laws may still have some helpful templates for this purpose:

http://legislation.americanrottweilerclub.org/

MAYOR FRANK MULLINS</span>
scmayor@cityofsouthcharleston.com

CITY COUNCIL:</span>
http://cityofsouthcharleston.com/citycouncil.php

ONLY *ONE* WITH EMAIL: <<HELLLLLLLLLLLO! Welcome to the TWENTY-FIRST CENTURY!!!>></span></span>

Mr. Jeff Means
Email: jameans@suddenlink.net

[/QUOTE]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.