Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to start by saying, I love dogs and so does my husband. We have neighbors that own a Rottweilers and he has bitten my husband twice now. About a month ago he broke through a hole in the fence that separates our properties while we were outside and bit my husband's hand when he reached out to let him smell him. My husband was wearing a work glove so he was left with some bruises but no broken skin. The neighbors apologized and told us they thought their Rottweiler was naturally aggressive towards men even though they have had him since he was 8 weeks old and he has never been abused.
Today my 9 year old son lost his drone in the woods behind my neighbors house. My son knocked on the door while my husband waited in the street cul-de-sac for him. When the neighbor opened the door their Rottweiler ran out past my son into the cul-de-sac and aggressively bit my husband on his forearm drawing blood and large bruises. I did call animal control this time because my husband and my son were scared. My question is, my husband did not provoke this dog at all, he is an animal lover. All the things I have read about Rottweiler say that they are protective over their owners and property. This dog came on to our property and bit my husband unprovoked and came into the cul-de-sac and bit my husband unprovoked. Is this dog just naturally aggressive? Why would he not like men if he has never been abused?

·
Super Moderator
1,900 Posts
I'm so sorry that this has happened to your husband. This is not normal behavior for a Rottweiler. I'm glad you called animal control. This neighbor needs to be accountable for his dog. It sounds like the dog is out of control with owners that do not realize that things could turn dangerous to have a dog like this. Rottweilers can be protective of their property and their family....but it seems that this dog has been left to make his own choices. The dog needs training, and to be under strict supervision and contained safely. This gives all Rottweilers a bad name. :(

I've had multiple Rottweilers through the years....none have ever gone after anyone, nor bit anyone. I've owned some that if given a reason would have attacked a person trying to do harm to me, or my family....luckily I never had to find out.

Let us know what happens.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I want to start by saying, I love dogs and so does my husband. We have neighbors that own a Rottweilers and he has bitten my husband twice now. About a month ago he broke through a hole in the fence that separates our properties while we were outside and bit my husband's hand when he reached out to let him smell him. My husband was wearing a work glove so he was left with some bruises but no broken skin. The neighbors apologized and told us they thought their Rottweiler was naturally aggressive towards men even though they have had him since he was 8 weeks old and he has never been abused.
Today my 9 year old son lost his drone in the woods behind my neighbors house. My son knocked on the door while my husband waited in the street cul-de-sac for him. When the neighbor opened the door their Rottweiler ran out past my son into the cul-de-sac and aggressively bit my husband on his forearm drawing blood and large bruises. I did call animal control this time because my husband and my son were scared. My question is, my husband did not provoke this dog at all, he is an animal lover. All the things I have read about Rottweiler say that they are protective over their owners and property. This dog came on to our property and bit my husband unprovoked and came into the cul-de-sac and bit my husband unprovoked. Is this dog just naturally aggressive? Why would he not like men if he has never been abused?
Very sorry to hear this and dont take this the wrong way, but please dont let your child knock there again and permaently secure that fence asap. You dont want that dog getting hold of your child. The owners are clearly not in control. I wish you all the best

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your support. I grew up next to a sweet Rottweiler that was affectionate to all the neighbors and kids so I know every dog is different. It was a scary altercation so I did feel the need to call animal control especially since this is the second time he has bit my husband. I think that their Rottweiler is young still, like maybe 10 months and I know they are trying to train him but maybe they need more guidance. My 9 year old is scared to play outside in our yard now, which sucks.

·
Super Moderator
1,900 Posts
If this Rottweiler is already biting people at 10 months of age.....this is really bad. This dog needs major training, and hopefully things can be fixed where everyone is safe?? What was the owners reaction to the biting? What are they planning to do?? Your son should not be afraid of play in his own yard. I would be calling animal control to find out what can be done. If things don't get better the owners may have to rehome the dog where he will get the training he needs, or if his temperament is lousy...then he will have to be euthanized. Dogs should not be escaping and randomly biting people...this is NOT normal. :(

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It was my neighbors 12 year old son that answered the door, that is how the Rottweiler got out. He was screaming and crying, poor guy is probably traumatized also. He is a big dog to contain for a 12 year old. My neighbors were apologetic and wanted my husband to go to the doctor, but he refused because he always refuses to go to the doctor for anything. My neighbor said he is going to put up an electric fence, so that does make us feel safer, I think. I also read that an air horn can stop a dog in his tracks so I plan on getting one to keep by the door in case. Animal control said he would call me tonight and let me know what happened. He might give them a citation and make it so they have to muzzle their dog while outside on a leash. I do hope they get professional training help of some kind, I might try to mention that to them without making them feel defensive, if possible. I know a dog trainer that my friend used for her pitbull and I think she deals with mainly training aggressive dogs.

·
Super Moderator
1,900 Posts
I would let you neighbor know that an electric fence is not going to keep his dog in. If he sees something that he wants to go after...be it a human or a bunny or another dog...he will blow through the fence. This breed will take the shock of the fence...no problem. Your neighbor needs to get this dog into training. The dog should be trained not to go near the front door....a baby gate near the front door should be used for now. He also should be seen by a trainer that works with working breeds or a behaviorist. They need to build a proper solid fence and only let the dog out if someone is out with him. Training and proper containment is needed for this dog to be allowed to continue to live there.

·
Registered
175 Posts
It was my neighbors 12 year old son that answered the door, that is how the Rottweiler got out. He was screaming and crying, poor guy is probably traumatized also. He is a big dog to contain for a 12 year old. My neighbors were apologetic and wanted my husband to go to the doctor, but he refused because he always refuses to go to the doctor for anything. My neighbor said he is going to put up an electric fence, so that does make us feel safer, I think. I also read that an air horn can stop a dog in his tracks so I plan on getting one to keep by the door in case. Animal control said he would call me tonight and let me know what happened. He might give them a citation and make it so they have to muzzle their dog while outside on a leash. I do hope they get professional training help of some kind, I might try to mention that to them without making them feel defensive, if possible. I know a dog trainer that my friend used for her pitbull and I think she deals with mainly training aggressive dogs.
Its amazing how understanding you are and the time your taking to try and resolve this. It should be the owners on here not you, asking for any help or advice offered. I really hope they take this serious with immediate effect. Also fair play to you still being conervative and not wanting to fall out with them over this. I totally get why for many reasons

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, I try to be understanding to everyone. After this happened I went online and read a lot about Rottweilers trying to understand this dogs behavior. That is how I found this wonderful site which has taught me a lot just reading other peoples posts. My neighbors are nice people, I just think they might not fully understand the breed of dog that they tried to take on. I am angry about the situation but that gets me no where. Plus yes, I do not want animosity between me and my neighbors. I've been there before and it's not fun to feel awkward in your own yard. We have only lived in our current house for 1 year. I also found out last night from the animal control guy that this dog bit a stranger while walking leashed on the sidewalk, so this is his second citation. He said their dog is not allowed to be outside even in the yard with out a leash and a muzzle on. Which makes me sad for the dog. I do want to feel safe in my yard with my kids though. I really do love dogs. Thank you for all the comments.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
It takes a special kind of person to raise a rottweiler. That person is dominant and demanding. There is no doubt who the boss is EVER. Rottweilers are very smart and will test their owners often. So training is never easy. Having said that, when the rottweiler knows its place in the family dynamic, a more wonderful dog couldn't be found. And the joy of your relationship with your dog is what makes this forum the best. All these people with all that love.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts