Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope this helps someone . My story hopefully isn't yours and prevents it.

I had a 3 year old rottie /mix female (spayed) named Roxie. I got the bright idea to get another female rottweiler named Xena (youg and dumb). Everything was great. They played,snuggled and were practically best friends. Both dogs were well trained and life was grand. Fast forward to when Xena went into her first heat. Like a flip of a switch the next morning Roxie is trying to kill xena. I thankfully have help and get them apart.
It happens again a week later but this time I have NO help. I have my two 100lb girls going at it in my front yard. I tried everything before I risked it pried Roxie off xena's neck with my bare hands. My hands were shredded ,both dogs got vet attention. I was very lucky ,I or myself didn't get seriously injured. I'm not the largest man in the world but at 185lbs and a combat veteran I can handle myself ,none of that matters to dogs. Don't risk it.

·
Super Moderator
1,932 Posts
Sorry to hear about the bitch fight! There is a saying in the dog world....boys fight for breeding rights and bitches kill for breathing rights!! Yes, getting two females close in age, and breeds that are prone to same sex is dangerous!! There is NO WAY that I would ever own two female Rottweilers....I have owned two males at the same time but one was older 10 (on the way out) and the other (a rescue was 2-3 years old).

How are you managing now? Did you rehome one? or are you living in a crate/rotate world?? Once they fight....they should never be allowed to be together again. All the training in the world does not stop same sex aggression. :(

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry to hear about the bitch fight! There is a saying in the dog world....boys fight for breeding rights and bitches kill for breathing rights!! Yes, getting two females close in age, and breeds that are prone to same sex is dangerous!! There is NO WAY that I would ever own two female Rottweilers....I have owned two males at the same time but one was older 10 (on the way out) and the other (a rescue was 2-3 years old).

How are you managing now? Did you rehome one? or are you living in a crate/rotate world?? Once they fight....they should never be allowed to be together again. All the training in the world does not stop same sex aggression. :(
A close family friend adapted roxie and she is living a great life. I couldn't do the crate and rotate. I personally think it's not fair to the dogs. I'm very thankful my ignorance didn't hurt someone else as we used to have dog play dates with friends regularly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts