Rottweilers Online Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, it sounds funny but it's becoming a problem. I have 2 puppies, will call them n1(12 months ) and n2(11months). N2 from about 2 months ago decided that he only poops on concrete while walking in the complex at night. We have backyard, frontyard and park spaces in the complex.... nope, he does it only in the middle of the roads, anytime anywhere, and not in just one spot, he poops around 3 different times during our 45min walk. While n1 always does it on the front yard just before walking out, as i teach them this way from they were small. N2 used to do the same thing, untill 2 months ago he suddenly stopped doing it in the front yard grass and start doing it in the road. Now understand I'm not lazy to pick it up with a bag, but walking 2 big dogs at once and stopping 2 to 3 times to collect poop, taking the bag out, collecting, then closing the bag while 2 of them pullin the leash....and so on,,,,,,it's a problem. So how do I teach him again to do it only on grass or designated areas like front yard?
I already tried giving a treat when he does it at the right places, but he does so rarely that it didn't work. I tried pulling and keep walking when he stops to let it go on the road and he just keeps walking and let it drop ...... I have an E-COLLAR i used to teach them the recall command with, it worked perfectly. Could i use it for this? Send him a small shock as soon as I see he starts taking the poop position? And keep the positive rewards for when doing it in the right area? Please any help is welcome.

·
Super Moderator
1,432 Posts
I would avoid using an e-collar on him!! That would be cruel, and may cause medical problems if he is scared to poop. Most dogs by that age have a pretty set schedule for pooping. Most dogs usually poop after eating. How often are you feeding? If it was my dog I would be throwing the ball, or playing a heavy game of tug or tag, or anything to get him moving in your own yard...and then just hang around the yard...waiting till he has to poop. Movement will make them want to poop. I would also leave a little of his poop in your yard...so he knows that it's ok to poop there and his scent is there. If he does start to poop in your yard...praise and treat and have a party like he is an 8 week old puppy. I have always trained my dogs to pretty much poop on command. If you know their schedule and the way they start circling or sniffing before a poop....just add the command....and praise like crazy!!

Or you could just take out one dog at a time for a walk...which is something you should be doing at times anyway. It's a good time for some one-on-one training when they are alone.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts