Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr style="MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">

Today we (My hubby and I both work at the same place) learned that our shop is not going to have a second shift anymore so the people from that shift will either be layed off or have to bump to another shift and job. We work first shift but this still is going to impact us as I dont know how secure our positions are right now as far as seniority goes. We could be bumped or our positions could be filled by someone with more seniority. They told the people on the cross memberline they didnt have to report to work tomorrow, and that the FPI line is going to be layed off. They also said there are going to be more layoffs as our orders are down right now, and things are going to be lean through the end of October.There is not going to be any more overtime, except what is absolutely necessary.Hopefully my hubby and I can survive the layoffs til then when things are projected to pick up. It will be devastating if we both lose our jobs. Everybody is in shock right now, just last week we found out we had been chosen for foundry of the year on the cover of Modern Casting Magazine. And now this...so wish me luck on this stretch of bumpy road
</BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Good luck there. I know a LOT of people who have been through all of that. We have a GE here in my town that did the same thing. My town was built around GE and it's jobs. They moved just about allof the work down south to save money. Guys who used to make $20something per hour found out fast what it was like to find a job in the real world. So much for " The Electric City "

Hang in there. I hope at least one of you has a few years of service.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr style="MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">

We've been through this once before-the last shop we worked at for almost 8 years closed due to the bad economy. Now I dont know what is going to happen here.</BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Miss Scarlet , I'm sad to hear about your news today , I'ts happening all around us in this country , I myself was born and raised in steel millcountry .... Pittsburgh steel that is ! Years ago it was booming here we I liveeither you got a job in the steel mill and made good money ( which most young men did at that time )or you wenttoschool here at Califorina Univ. to be a teacher ... but in theearly 80tys that all changed ...the steel mill sould out and went over sea's ( Japan )....more money for the companyless pay for the people there !! The steel mill here that I was raised and grew up ( all my family worked there )with went from over 5,000 men to under 500 !!! that was years ago ... it is happening all over ! Your in my prayers that it will be ok ...with you and your family ...

·
Registered
185 Posts
I am so sorry to hear about this. I have never worked in the same field you do but I sure know a lot about layoffs - I have worked in high tech companies for a long time. It has happened to us more than once so I know how it feels. Keep my fingers crossed for you - good luck.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Yup even here at BMW of North America they are laying people off... Thats why I just recently switched to the night shift position supporting the ITALY dealerships. If I didn't probably got canned too.

It's nice being home during the day. I get to spend more time with my daughter and our Maximus.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.