Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone or has anyone ever had an issue with their pup waking up at some ungodly hour and the suffering the worst case of imawakeandwanttoplay syndrome. I don't wat to play, I don't play. I want to sleep. It's night after night at the min and it's relentless!:sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep:o_O

·
Super Moderator
1,900 Posts
How old is your pup now?? How much exercise is your pup getting? How much time training per day. What exercise does your pup get later in the day or in the evening?
When do you feed the last meal? All of these things could affect pups sleep habits. Does pup sleep in a crate? Where does pup sleep.
More info needed if you want help.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, she's 7 months old now, for the most part she's great. As far as everything goes we will give her a good couple of hours walking spread through the day, not all at once. Whilst out she's on a vonstant training regime, obedience training mostly. On and off lead, she's doing amazing. Food, we feed her yhe RDA of the chosen food, however the only issue there is that, because she doesn't take a full feed in one go, she tends to graze we have to spread through the day too. For us it also helps eliminate waste. We have a routine for the most part, and for the most part we stick to it. We tend to go to bed at around 21:45 - 22:30. This is the time she usually settles her self down. But recently we are being woken up at anywhere between 02:30 - 03:30. We'll take her to the loo and we go back to bed, then at about 04:00 - 05:00 i swear she has an on switch. She's instantly awake and at my hand, to wake up and go downstairs. When I say at my hand, I mean mouthy, it's how she tends to tell me if there's something wrong, she needs, going on or wants. The pressure and how much she does it varies on how desperate the situation is. Play, mild, toilet or food constant, something worrying her or she doesn't like something thats going on, well, i'm considering buying shares in prosthetics-are-us! Wake up time it's usually play. At the moment we don't crate her she sleeps in our room, purley because atleast when she wakes me up it's quiet and doesn't wake the kids. We did crate when we first got her but the kids suffered for it. We're not confident enough to just let her sleep wherever, altgough she does like to sleep on the patio at the moment. Which made me wonder if she was too warm! Maybe she'll grow out of it, I don't know but was just hoping someone was going or has gone through something similar.

·
Super Moderator
1,900 Posts
She may be hot?? Rottweilers do prefer to be cool. That could be making her restless. I would also start feeding her set meals. A healthy hungry dog will eat when she is hungry. Measure out her food....set it down for 10 minutes and then pick it up. Try putting it down for her next meal. If she does not eat within the 10 minutes pick up the bowl and try again the next day. It may take a couple of days...but when she is hungry she will eat. A dog that is allowed to be grazing all day makes it hard to know when they don't eat and are sick. It also helps with training and rewards....a hungry dog trains much better. It also shows her that you are in charge...and control the food. It makes you look 'special'. It's a great way to teach them to "wait" and "stay" while you fix her meal and make her do a few commands before giving her food.

I would also stop this hand biting nonsense. Putting teeth on you is not good....and she may do it to someone one day that does not understand. She could lose her life because of this habit. Have you got her in formal obedience classes?? If not....I would get her enrolled.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts