Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey welli got my puppy....we have had 4 nights together and the first night she cried as planned but i stood by the cage and she calmed down and slept. since then though she gets in bed the same time each night at like 11ish. shr'll cry for a minute or two and ill give her a quiet command and she'll settle in. the thing is she'll sleep till 1ish, then cry for a little then go back to bed for another two hours and wake up at 3 and do the same thing. once im able to get her settled back down, she'll sleep till about 7. is there any way to get her not to wake up every two hours during the night? she seems to realize that im in the bed not too far away so she'll cry by seeing me. i dont want to move the crate yet b/c i also dont want her to feel alone. should this behavior just stop at some point, or is there a trick to getting her sleep through the night? i give her the benefit of the doubt and when she wakes up ill take her out. but she never usually hasto go. any ideas?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
she is only 9+ weeks....i just want to make sureim not doing anything wrong. when she cant see me when shes in the crate, she doesnt cry much. she might cry for a minute or two then settle in. but when she can see me in my bed, she gets a lot more frustrated by being in the crate. i dont want her to feel alone and move the crate somewhere else at night either. so im not sure if there was any way to get her to sleep through the night. this will be our 5th night with her, and it seems to be a pattern. sleep at 11, wake at 1 for 15 min or so, sleep till 3, wake for some crying, then sleep till 7. then at 7 shes still tired. she will get up, go outside, play for like 20 min or so, then sleep for another 1 and half.

·
Banned
1,135 Posts
DONT GIVE IN ....

the easyst way to stop something is to NEVER start it .....

I am up every three hours too ....

I am awaken for nothing .... so he can go out to eat grass ...

but you never know when its for real or not ....

when she sees you she knows you will come to her ....

and you will live with this the rest of her life .....

its hard but ..... you have to let her cry ..... just like a child .....

rotts-a-ruck .....

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
another quick question i have is, should i put a blanket on the bottom of the crate or just leave it the way it came? she seems pretty good about pooping outside, but peeing is a different story. she goes a few times outsides, but a lot in her crate. just wanted to see what method was best.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
If she is peeing in her crate it might be a bit to big for her , a dog usually won't potty where they sleep so maybe you need to put a divider in it ...they need just enough room to turn around in thats it . I crate all three of mine and the only time we had a accident is when my Mother-in-law fed them to many treats when they were visiting her place and it was just my little girl who got the cha cha's ...boy was that nasty ! Also a pup her age needs to be let out every 3 hours or so .... and she shouldn't be in the crate all day , they can't hold it that long . All of mine have blankets in their crates, at first when I got them I had slept with the blanket for a few days to put my sent on it . It's really up to you and what you want to do ...... time and patience is the key to crating , I wouldn't have a dog that is not crated ...good luck

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well i have a trainer coming today so maybe she can give me some hints on the sleeping thing. she is still getting up at night every two hours like clockwork. i give her the benefit of the doubt and take her outside, but after a few minutes outside...nothing. so i take her back in to the crate and she goes back to bed for 2 more hours. i put her to sleep at 11...and every night its exactly 2,4, and 6 she'll get up. i do have a divider in the crate, but she doesnt seem to mind peeing in the crate so much. shes only pooped in thecrate (or anywhere in the house) once. the rest of the time she goes outside. it wouldnt all be so tiring if she would sleep through the night. my friends got a puppy a few days before me and their puppy sleeps from 11-7 every night. figures....

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Jdip , maybe she has a urinary track infection ? my little girl Rhea had one at 7 weeks old , and another at 6 months I give her vit c and cranberry capsules everyday now and she hasn't had one since... it's a thought ?

·
Registered
67 Posts
jdip23 said:
she is only 9+ weeks....i just want to make sureim not doing anything wrong. when she cant see me when shes in the crate, she doesnt cry much. she might cry for a minute or two then settle in. but when she can see me in my bed, she gets a lot more frustrated by being in the crate. i dont want her to feel alone and move the crate somewhere else at night either. so im not sure if there was any way to get her to sleep through the night. this will be our 5th night with her, and it seems to be a pattern. sleep at 11, wake at 1 for 15 min or so, sleep till 3, wake for some crying, then sleep till 7. then at 7 shes still tired. she will get up, go outside, play for like 20 min or so, then sleep for another 1 and half.

bodacious is 8.5 weeks old and he sleeps through the night .....my solution is/was.....wear her out
.....he cried and whined too but the minute those legs looked strong enough(started running around with conviction)...he was on a leash and walking/running with me in the evenings

anyway after the first day at the park chasing me ,ducks and anything else that moves...he was flat on his back and out for the night....only sound i hear from him is his usual whimper when he needs to go do his business outside(if needed)

have her in motion every chance you get...bodacious gets 2 miles around a lake a block from my house every evening...good for him and good for me

he is in bed at about 10 and wakes up at 6 am and if i'm lucky and he doesnt drink too much water close to bed time i dont hear a peep from him all night

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for the response...thats an old post so i probably should remove it. my pup is almost 7 months now, and she sleeps more then me. she'll sleep 13 hours on the weekends without getting up to go out. she goes to day care during the week, so it tires her out big time. i have to acutally wake her up and make her get up in the am. but if im in bed, she'll stay in her crate as long as im in my bed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts