Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Norton had a vet appt yesterday. And I was floored at how awesome he did! He pulled me into the building(normally it’s the other way around). He got right on the scale with no hesitation-he he a thing with platforms so this is huge. Then he was open and curious with the staff also got on the exam table with a little coaxing- a first we usually do exams with him on the floor- and was not weird with the doctor at all. I did hold him- as opposed to the vet tech holding him-as a precaution but I’m not even sure I needed to! I couldn’t believe it, he was amazing. We did see one other dog on the way out and he started huffing (his initial I don’t like you sign) but he responded instantly to a very small correction and didn’t react again to the dog. I’m not sure where this confident boy came from but it was amazing to see him so confident and comfortable in a place that has always stress him out and brought out his worst. 💙💙

·
Registered
94 Posts
Norton had a vet appt yesterday. And I was floored at how awesome he did! He pulled me into the building(normally it’s the other way around). He got right on the scale with no hesitation-he he a thing with platforms so this is huge. Then he was open and curious with the staff also got on the exam table with a little coaxing- a first we usually do exams with him on the floor- and was not weird with the doctor at all. I did hold him- as opposed to the vet tech holding him-as a precaution but I’m not even sure I needed to! I couldn’t believe it, he was amazing. We did see one other dog on the way out and he started huffing (his initial I don’t like you sign) but he responded instantly to a very small correction and didn’t react again to the dog. I’m not sure where this confident boy came from but it was amazing to see him so confident and comfortable in a place that has always stress him out and brought out his worst. 💙💙
Sounds great!
How old is he?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds great!
How old is he?
He’s 3. We adopted him at 9 months and he had a lot of fear and confidence issues. It culminated in dog aggression and some other fear based negative reactions. We took him to a trainer and have been working very hard with him over the past couple years to help him over come his issues. The dog aggression will probably never go away but the confidence is something we can build on. 😊

·
Registered
94 Posts
He’s 3. We adopted him at 9 months and he had a lot of fear and confidence issues. It culminated in dog aggression and some other fear based negative reactions. We took him to a trainer and have been working very hard with him over the past couple years to help him over come his issues. The dog aggression will probably never go away but the confidence is something we can build on. 😊
Fair enough
Doing all the right things it seems. Now youve had that good experience, jump on it, reinforce and stay consistant as im sure you are. Feels good when you see results doesnt it😊

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fair enough
Doing all the right things it seems. Now youve had that good experience, jump on it, reinforce and stay consistant as im sure you are. Feels good when you see results doesnt it😊
It really does I was so excited for him. There has been a lot of improvement in the last year and we’ve been working consistently on new experiences and building his confidence. It’s really great to see him shine and overcome his fears.

·
Super Moderator
1,549 Posts
:) Congratulations!! You've put in the work and time with Norton....and now it has paid off. Sounds like he has hit maturity, and has confidence in himself, and with you. He knows you have his back. Dog aggression is something that never goes away...you teach him to ignore other dogs....and "mind his business":D

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
:) Congratulations!! You've put in the work and time with Norton....and now it has paid off. Sounds like he has hit maturity, and has confidence in himself, and with you. He knows you have his back. Dog aggression is something that never goes away...you teach him to ignore other dogs....and "mind his business":D
“Mind his business” is a great way to put it. 😆

·
Super Moderator
1,549 Posts
“Mind his business” is a great way to put it. 😆
That's what I always used for the command with all my Rotties...when we were in an obedience class, or just out and about.....when they started with the "stare".... "MIND YOUR BUSINESS"!!! and they knew...LOL :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts