Rottweilers Online Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From a beagle forum, so I placed it here...

Some one came on and said 'I can't stop my 5 month old beagle puppy from peeing everywhere'.

So I asked, how often do you take them out?

1-2/day!!!!! Because they live in an apartment, as if that is an excuse. I should know, adopting Agis as a pup and living in an apartment.

WHY did they get a dog? Sheesh!

·
Super Moderator
1,258 Posts
It's hard to believe sometime, the stupidity of people. Having a dog in an apartment is really hard...and comes with real challenges. A Beagle (hunting breed)...can make it even harder.
Those are the same people that complain that a "crate is cruel"....but hitting the pup or rubbing it's nose in it...when it pees/poos inside is not???

People need to get a stuffed animal ...not a pup. I was on a Golden Retriever forum...and it was the same. The guy could not figure out why his young dog was hyper, chewing, getting into all sorts of trouble...he took the dog out 3 times per day total....and short 3-4 minute walks! A sporting breed...with no way to release energy!! Dughhhh!! Then argued with everyone that his last Golden was fine with that schedule. He failed to remember that his last Golden died at 14...and probably for the last 5 years just did not need much exercise.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was shocked. What do you want a dog for if you don't go out with it?

The thing I find more difficult about living in a building vs. a house is the lobby interactions. Xerxes, our beagle, is leash-reactive. He's come a LONG way, and is generally responsive to our telling him to behave when there's another dog, but close quarters in a lobby are often a trouble zone. We can leave via stairwells but have to go through the lobby to get back in.

Yesterday I was out with all the dogs myself and a dog showed up in the lobby as we were entering - Xerxes started to bay, which sets of Agis (they pack up; Agis is now 42lbs and really quite powerful for that weight - all that Rottie muscle :) ), so in my best 'mean mummy means DOOM' voice I said 'QUIET'. They all immediately shut up and quieted down, and I heard some guy on the couches behind me said 'Whoa! Jesus!' It was all I could do not to tell him where to go. ALL I said was 'QUIET' and I immediately resumed talking to them in a normal voice. Sheesh.

But yes, Nebbers (now 12) has definitely slowed down, but Xerxes (4) and Agis (7.5 months) both need lots of exercise. All of the parks here are mostly shut, but we play fetch with Agis in the baseball diamond across the street - unless it rains (Toby was doing so once in the rain with him, Agis hates the rain, and ran across the street back to our building after a few throws) Clearly we need to proof 'come' better but until that's done, he doesn't get to play fetch in wet weather. Even with walks the past two rainy days, that's not been enough, so he has been FULL of energy. Today's a bit better, I let him have a good 20 minutes tearing around the apartment playing with Neb and Xerxes, which is total chaos, but he needed to burn off some energy. My work day is almost done so we'll go out soon. I THINK it's still raining though.

Xerxes likes to run with me. He's quite buff if I do say so myself! And I think Agis will make a great runner, at least of short distances, once he's older.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I remember when mine was a pup I took her out all of the time. I even set my alarm clock to wake me up every two hours so I could take her out. She was completely house trained within two weeks. She never once peed in the house and only pooped a couple of times in the house during her training period. I will copy that method again in the future. She was so tiny that I could easily carry her to the yard every time. Nostalgia.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts