Rottweilers Online Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Agis has been limping since Wednesday night. At first we thought he had something in his foot and fooled around with it and he stopped limping. Great, we thought, we got it.

Thursday we didn't play fetch with him in the morning like we usually do. There's a big field/baseball diamond across the street so he has plenty of space to run (normally). Thursday afternoon he starts limping again. It stops then starts again.

The vet had emailed me to see how he was doing after eating some of the Kuranda PVC surround, so I responded and said, hey, he's limping, we're going to rest him and see how he does. Thursday and Friday he was good about not playing/running around.

Today though - man he wants to play. He's still limping a bit, but as he moves, he stops limping. We've pretty well isolated his pain response to in his foot. Neither of us remembers stepping on him, so we're thinking he did something in a quick cornering while playing fetch. I'd think it was broken except it seems to loosen up with movement, so a sprain?

What can I do with him to help keep him occupied? I've been doing some proofing of training. I'd hide food or give him a kong with treats but we have the other two and Neb resource guards food from dogs (not us) so that's a recipe for disaster (as you guys know there have been some tussles) (being in an apartment, and while it's a big one, the dogs bark when separated from each other (which the neighbours would love) - let's just say Agis is used to training with distractions since there'd be two other dogs circling around during classes).

Toby took him for a walk but I feel like that's a bad idea too. Help! We do have one of those treat hiding toys which despite Neb being food aggressive kind of works - Neb lifts up the pegs hiding the food and wanders off with them while Agis waits and then eats the food :rolleyes:

Toby just took him out for a quick wander around the yard to try to satisfy Agis.

·
Super Moderator
1,432 Posts
Poor Agis...that dog cannot seem to get a break. There really is not an awful lot you can do if the rest of the gang can get food aggressive. Normally I would say give him a nice raw marrow bone to work on. Is it possible for him to be in another room with a baby gate? The best thing you can do is getting him to rest it. If it keeps bothering him...at some point you may have to take him in for an x-ray. Broken toes are very common in dogs. Some vets do nothing, some tape the broken toe to the good toes so it does not move as much. Just have to wait and see.

Are you really sure it's the toe, not his knee? A torn CCL is a very common injury.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We are realllllly hoping it's not the knee/elbow (front leg). We've felt it around etc. and he's like 'la di da' but when we press the toes together he really reacts (not that his paws are his favourite things to get handled either, mind you).

We put him in the second room (it's got a dog gate with a cat door). We have some (old) frozen kongs - that's an idea. Toby's having a nap now so Agis is there snoozing with him.

Sounds pretty similar to human broken toe treatment!

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good news! Yesterday Agis's limp started to fade, and seems to be gone now (though we'll keep an eye on it). There's a baseball diamond and field across the street so I took him over and did a loop around that a couple of times yesterday (not being cement), and it seems that didn't cause any further issues.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Great news!!.. Just monitor and pay attention.. They have a great way of hiding pains just to be outdoors and having fun

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks @Omz - we are being carefully and have very slowly reintroduced fetch - twice, Friday and today. He's been moving fluidly so we are thinking he's better, but are still going to be cautious.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts