Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have two boys, a Rotti 17 months and a GSP 2 years. We live on a lake and the boys are in the water swimming every day thats not raining. Our GSP does not smell but our Rotti really does. What would cause this ???

·
Super Moderator
1,900 Posts
It's going in the lake and swimming and never really drying off. They kind of get a mildew /moldy stink. The reason most likely is because Rottweilers have a double coat...an undercoat and the longer outercoat. The GSP has a single coat that is slick and does not hold the water like a double coated dog. I would also check the Rotties ears. The can, and often do get ear infections from swimming. The ear canals hold water and their drop ears keep everything from drying out. Stinky ears can also make them stink bad!!! :oops: I used to take care of a huge Golden who's owner had a pond. That dog swam every day Spring/Summer/Fall. The owner's were quite elderly and never noticed the smell of the dog....but he would stink up the whole kennel and my hands stunk when I petted him.:( He just never got a chance to dry.

I would hose your dog down after swimming and see if you can get him to dry out. Brush him out often too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts