Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sheba is doing good with everything but the housebreaking!! I've read and read and then read some more,, but I'm not getting this crate training. (She's 1yr old - rescue)

She goes in the crate when were not home and at night time to sleep. She is comfortable there, but she won't go in there voluntarily.

I know everyone says to give her time,, but she won't poop outside!!
We walk her for a long time, and then turn around she'll come inside and find a spot and begin to poop. I don't know what to do!! What should I do?? We tell her No, in a real low voice,, but she won't stop. We take her outside, but she won't poop.. We keep taking her to the same spot and no playing. I know it's only been 4 days and I can't expect the world,, but I don't know if I'm doing this right or not.. Please help.. I'm frustrated...

·
Registered
144 Posts
The spot you take her to outside, has she ever gone there yet?

If not, have you tried placing several of her stoolsin the place you want her to go outside?

I don't know if you have your own yard or not to do this. If you do, you might want to try this.

If she's not use to being on a leash to have bowel movements, then it is going to take awhile on your part to get her use to the fact that she can do her deed, on one. So, wait until she has done so before you end that walk, no matter how long it takes... and usually it's best for you, to try early morning.

Do try and give it some more time... I know it's hard, but that's part of having an older dog, withher background,come into your home for the first time.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the idea vonstallog!!!
The more ideas, the better!!!

I re-read my post this morning,, and I could tell I was pretty frustrated when I wrote it... But your right,, she probably has never had to do a bowel movement on a leash,, so I'm sure that is our issue.. She'll urinate without an issue,, but the bowel movements are a whole different ball game..

She's not eating either!! She'll eat so spuratically and not very much.. She doesn't seem sad or mad or upset.. She seems to be the happiest dog in the world.. So I can tell her bowel movements are not daily at this point because she isn't eating much.. Beginning to worry about this portion of it..

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
heatherstone30 said:
Thank you for the idea vonstallog!!!
The more ideas, the better!!!

I re-read my post this morning,, and I could tell I was pretty frustrated when I wrote it... But your right,, she probably has never had to do a bowel movement on a leash,, so I'm sure that is our issue.. She'll urinate without an issue,, but the bowel movements are a whole different ball game..

She's not eating either!! She'll eat so spuratically and not very much.. She doesn't seem sad or mad or upset.. She seems to be the happiest dog in the world.. So I can tell her bowel movements are not daily at this point because she isn't eating much.. Beginning to worry about this portion of it..

Have you had her seen by a vet lately to rule out any health related possibilities? Might be worth a shot. I usually mix some canned food with her kibble to give her a little variety when she gets picky. Also, I will walk her up the road quite a ways and then back to her normal poop spot. Seems to get her in the mood right quick when she dawdles.

Hang in there, and good luck.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Nutz!!! I haven't even thought of canned food.. That might get her in the mood to eat more.. Ie. getting more poop, so I can do the poop spot thing.. Thank you so much.. That's a good idea!! I feel like such a ditz, becuase I can't think of these simple things.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I would just try spinkling a little paramsian (sp) cheese on her present food. what are you feeding her? I had issue like that when I take my dogs on overnight stays. they don't always want to eat, the cheese works great.

the last time I took one of my dogs on an overnight (non rottie), she didn't go to the bathroom for over 24 hours, cause she's not used to doing it on a leash and I couldn't let her run loose. Not even pee.

I'm sure your girl will come along fine. How about getting an x-pen for her to at least be loose in??? Just a thought.

Barb

·
Banned
1,135 Posts
heatherstone30 said:
She probably has never had to do a bowel movement on a leash,, so I'm sure that is our issue.. She'll urinate without an issue,, but the bowel movements are a whole different ball game..
Well my boy will NOT go when on a leash either .... He wont even go

if you are looking at him ... he has to stop and turn around .....

I do carry a rope in the car .... just so i can tie him out when we

are not home ...

you could try tie'ing her outside till she goes .....

i think getting them to go on a leash .... must be a taught thing

i never taught it ... so he dont do it ....

But Donna knows the trick if you need her to go poop ....

good luck with the eating thing ..... i had that problem too BUT

nobody likes what i did .... cept my dog ....

steak and chicken ( rottweilers ) love that stuff ....

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Mine is a poop walker...she can't stand still.
Dunno why she does it, but she does. I tell her she's a poop nozzle...

·
Registered
218 Posts
Nutz4Rotz said:

Zeus does the same thing... I have to walk 20 yards to pick up his doo doo.... he looks back when he goes...It looks like he is thinking "Ewwdon't touch me"

I guess that's my dog... "A Nurse's dog"

·
Registered
67 Posts
no problem pooping here ..well yeah i have a problem damnit....seems as if he has me trained more than the other way around

one yip means i have to go outside now.....one yip with a little whine added to it means hurry up or i'm gonna be forced to do something i dont wanna do..............

my other problem you ask?? when its 6 am and still chilly here in the midwest he suddenly decides that doing his business can wait and playing tug-of-war with the leash is better

him having an accident in his crate seems as if it bothers him more than it bothers me...he starts crying continously till i get him out and clean it up...yes i admit his accidents are my fault...i have been warned every time

feed her then take her on a long walk......and keep walking and walking..nature will take its course and her being on a leash aint gonna matter

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Shody said:
Nutz4Rotz said:

Zeus does the same thing... I have to walk 20 yards to pick up his doo doo.... he looks back when he goes...It looks like he is thinking "Ewwdon't touch me"

I guess that's my dog... "A Nurse's dog"

When I first got her, she'd do a complete 360... My first one, Lady left neat piles. Oh well, a crappy job, but someone's gotta do it...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts