Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a bit of a rough post as I'm not sure how to squeeze everything in as quickly as I can.

Max my 11 year 5 month old Rottweiler cross Akita has shown signs of aging over the last year as to be expected. His previous vet appointment was for a lump on the back on his neck, an extraction was taking and Dr Tom (our trusty vet) was confident there was no cancerous cells and nothing looked abnormal. The lump has over the last yeer gotten considerably bigger, I will insert picture below. No pain when this is touched and doesn't seem to be irritating or bothering him in the slightest but will be getting this checked over when we are in for the following reason.

So the other issue we are having is he has swelling on the left front ankle which is extremely painful when touched, feels little warm when you touch it, and he does not put any weight on this leg now at all. He is irritable but we are assuming this is due to the pain.
He has arthritis and joint problems in his back legs which has caused muscle wastage so he bunny hops and has compensated using the back legs with the front for about a year. He needs help into the bath, finds it hard to climb onto the sofa and doesn't not get onto my bed anymore without help up and down. He was given tramadol for the pain for his back legs and joint supplements which are working well he was still able to go for walks play but since this swelling on the front leg he has not been able to go for walks and really struggled with stairs and moving around, he prefers to kind of stay in one place.

So the reason for this post is this.....we have the vets tomorrow, I am scared. I am scared that it could be something sinister. I know in Rottweiler breeds cancer is a big health issue for them. When Max seen the vet for his back legs Dr Tom mentioned the possibility of a joint tumour but with Max's condition and age he was reluctant to x-ray for the risk of him not coming out of the anaesthesia. I am guessing it will be the same this time round.

It is just a worry with how severe the pain is and the change in his character. Very grouchy, groaning from the pain and not tolerant with other dogs anymore, when before he was amazing with other dogs.

Anyway I will keep updating after the vet appointment. Please pray for the best outcome...Max is amazing! He has a heart of pure gold and I couldn't imagine him suffering. It breaks my heart knowing he is in so much pain right now.

Attachments

·
Registered
200 Posts
Our boy had a growth in his front joint as well. I kept him alive for me and at the end he cried in pain when we put him down. I blame myself for letting him live for me and will never do that again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So an update on our old boy.
He has osteosarcoma (bone cancer) the vet think it has already spread with the symptoms and pain he is in.

we are absolutely devastated, completely heartbroken. They have given us 2 weeks (from his appointment on Thursday) to spend spoiling him with love and cuddles like always and what ever food he would like to eat ❤ I cant Believe I’m going to lose my baby boy

·
Super Moderator
1,850 Posts
I'm so sorry. :( As I was reading this I suspected bone cancer. Any swelling or joint pain in a leg in an older dog is often cancer.
RIP Max.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm so sorry. :( As I was reading this I suspected bone cancer. Any swelling or joint pain in a leg in an older dog is often cancer.
RIP Max.
:cry:
We did prepare ourselves for the news but you always in the back on your mind think it wont be the worst......he has been the absolute best dog I have ever had the pleasure of raising.

An absolute credit to us. And my daughters best friend for life 💕

1 - 5 of 5 Posts