Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it has finally come, the long awaited advanced OB class. Yeah !!!! we both can not wait. He was never happy in the ring, but the second he gets to show off his intelligence, he becomes MR somebody. LOL
We go there tonight at 7pm. And our now biggest challenge is and will be is dog to dog on leash. OB stuff he is great. But the fight has really changed him.
I know it will never stop now, but I need to gain control, and allow him to do something he enjoys and can focus on.
Wish us luck tonight

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Good luck with your advanced classes. If he is reeally getting the OB stuff down it should be pretty easy to handle him around other dogs. Have FUN

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Focus is what you need.Small treats and feed him the whole time.

You should be traing him like he is a soda machine.He put's his money in and he get's something in return.

Onces you feel you have his attention and the other dogs don't bother him or side track him.Start training him like a slot machine,you put your money in,but don't always get anything,but when you do it's worth it.

Donna

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
those are really cool analogies.... Will do that I will make sure I bring lots and lots of treats. He really does the focus really well. We will see if he can do it with male dogs around tonight

·
Banned
1,135 Posts
I hope he can get over that male dog thing .....

seems like these Rotts do very well training .....

they love to learn .....

" GOOD LUCK "

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
How was class?

Elwood did better in his not so much freeking out on the leash.I might just be able to get his CD by July.

Donna

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, well we had the first class, and man am I a very proud momma. Remember how I said he now can be aprehensive around males. More unpredictable. Well last night, the second he walked into class He ignored them all. Very focused at the tasks at hand.. Ready and willing to please me, listening to everything I asked of him.
I really think he has found his calling, and that is OB. He loves it, and really focuses on me, waiting to give him another command. I am very proud of him, we have come so far, and will be continuing.
The trainer said becareful when you have them in a down stay, not to stare at them because the will think they have to come to you. Well That is how Harley and I trained, by focusing on me at all times, and he did the best in the class. Along with another male rottweiler who also was trained the same way. ( I taught the owner that )....We will keep you posted, and I see a CGN title in his future, and a CD

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
I always look at my dogs when they are on a down.

I think if you have a dog that is insecure looking at them is like calling them .I have never had a problem with that.

Donna

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Insecure Harley is not. I find looking at him also praises him for doing what he is doping right.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
When Elwood was little Ihad him Platz on his side with his head down.It worked great he didn't even pick up his head when a dog barked,now that he is bigger I found it to be a problem.He is so big his legs can reach the other dog who is laying down next to him.

It looks funny.

Donna

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just to let you know that I have spoken to the trainer and after he graduates from this class, we will be going on to a competition class. Which will teach us what we need to know for our CD title.

I have hope for my boy yet. My breeder is very pleased to see us continuing.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
stupid question for a novice. What is rally O????

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just wanted to give you an update on my boy.

Well he has been the best mannered dog there, other than my friends rotty too. He has not even looked at another dog wrong. I am so proud of him. He is really focussed on the task at hand. Which is the OB.

After this class is finished. We will be startin competition level OB. Beginners of course, but it is a start.... Just wanted alittle brag

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Congrats.

Elwood Graduated from Beginers again(the third time)He will be taking it one more time before we move up or go in the ring which ever comes first.

I helped train a GSP last session and learn some really good training methods that have been working great with Elwood.

Donna

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It seems like alot of fun, I know in the class we have now he loves it. I am just a very proud momma

1 - 17 of 17 Posts