Rottweilers Online Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my favorite traits of the rottweiler is their purr. Sounds a lot like a growl but a more happy sound. I have never seen a mention here of this trait. The pic below is my daughter announcing to my 1st rottie that she was going to give Bailey one million kisses. First the smile, then the purr. When Bailey was a puppy, the first time she purred, we backed off quickly, thinking we were bothering her. Bailey wouldn't let us stop and purred all through the cuddles. Hank, our next Rottie, didn't purr until he was over one year old. He being a 'big old boy' doesn't purr all that much. But Dixie our 18 month old girl, has the same loud purr when being loved.

Dog Jaw Mammal Ear Carnivore
Dog Jaw Mammal Ear Carnivore

·
Super Moderator
1,900 Posts
Yes!! The Rottie purr and the Rottie smile. Not all of them purr....I've had 2 that purred and one that had the 'smile' when she was happy. It used to freak people out when they met her...lol. There is a difference between a Rottie growl and a Rottie purr. Till you know the difference...you have to be cautious. :)

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bailey smiled like that. She sat out on our front yard and a class of down-syndrome children and their teachers came by to see her everyday. Don't think she smiled or purred for them but that was the kind of girl she was. Adored by my friends and neighbours. Hank is big and has changed that dynamic just by his size. So sad... Do any of your pack purr?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts